Women's World Cup Thread | Page 7 | Vital Football

Women's World Cup Thread

I don't think I said or intimated the rules of the game are beyond them? Basically it's football at it's rawest level, they are not as quick or strong as blokes and could not compete on a level playing field with them. It's entertaining at times and they are just as keen, it's just they don't have the same ability. The FA took a lot of money out the men's game at grass roots level to try and move on the womens game a decade or so ago.

EPIC FAIL!

They are not sleeping on the team bus, they once did in a friendly match against Uruguay because someone didn't sort hotel accommodation. They are now professional, but very poorly paid. Corrie will be on at 19:30 enjoy. ?
Thanks for the update, information overload by news agencies leading to exaggerated stories then. I really must try to watch Corrie again sometime, that Jack and Vera are a right laugh.

I don't think I said or intimated the rules of the game are beyond them? Basically it's football at it's rawest level, they are not as quick or strong as blokes and could not compete on a level playing field with them. It's entertaining at times and they are just as keen, it's just they don't have the same ability. The FA took a lot of money out the men's game at grass roots level to try and move on the womens game a decade or so ago.

Let me give a cricket example which destroys everything you've just said.
I was involved with a men's cricket club in Wales...a decent standard club, in fact more than decent. They won the Welsh Cricket Cup on several occasions, hosted international fixtures, had several players who had played for Wales in the World Cup.
And been league champions in a league where other teams included Test players in their line ups at times.
Anyway, we went on tour to Ireland. One of our opponents there had a female club professional (in their men's team). She had captained New Zealand in the Women's World Cup Final and was very very clearly a whole level and more above our team's male players (and their team too).

Point being that at the top level of any sport, women will not have "raw ability" and "lack strength" etc etc. They will be far better than most levels of their male counterparts.
In athletics, very very few men on the planet would be able to run faster than the Women's 100m olympic champion for example. And so on through all such events.

Point being that at the top level of any sport, women will not have "raw ability" and "lack strength" etc etc. They will be far better than most levels of their male counterparts.
In athletics, very very few men on the planet would be able to run faster than the Women's 100m olympic champion for example. And so on through all such events.

The Women's olympic 100m champion in Rio would have finished half a second behind the slowest runner in the men's final. I never represented anything above my school, and I was more of a middle distance runner, but my best 100m as a 16-year-old, running in fashion trainers, would have me just trailing eighth place in the women's Olympic final. Make of that what you will.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was involved with a men's cricket club in Wales...a decent standard club, in fact more than decent. They won the Welsh Cricket Cup on several occasions, hosted international fixtures, had several players who had played for Wales in the World Cup.
And been league champions in a league where other teams included Test players in their line ups at times.
Anyway, we went on tour to Ireland. One of our opponents there had a female club professional (in their men's team). She had captained New Zealand in the Women's World Cup Final and was very very clearly a whole level and more above our team's male players (and their team too).

Wales don’t have a National cricket team and have never appeared in the World Cup. They have a team that appears in the Minor Counties league so are about the same level as Lincolnshire.
Not to criticise women’s cricket but to give a comparable level a good club side at ECB Premier league level in Lincolnshire would most likely beat The England Ladies team.

Wales don’t have a National cricket team and have never appeared in the World Cup. They have a team that appears in the Minor Counties league so are about the same level as Lincolnshire.
Not to criticise women’s cricket but to give a comparable level a good club side at ECB Premier league level in Lincolnshire would most likely beat The England Ladies team.

The England cricket team is represented by England and Wales. So they are currently appearing and hosting the World Cup.

Remember Geraint and Simon Jones in 2005?

I thought we were discussing womens football? That's what my point of view was about.

The England cricket team is represented by England and Wales. So they are currently appearing and hosting the World Cup.

Remember Geraint and Simon Jones in 2005?

Yes absolutely the ECB is the England and Wales Cricket Board. There is no separate Welsh National team.

I wasn't trying to achieve anything? Once again if you have a different point of view to someone you're wrong.

No - the OP was discussing monkeys. You thought he was talking about women...

Yes absolutely the ECB is the England and Wales Cricket Board. There is no separate Welsh National team.

Wales certainly used to have a national side who had participated in the qualifying stages of the WC the ICC trophy as was. No idea if they still participate however.

At the beginning of the Ladies WC , I was convinced I would not watch it , but due to the total lack of decent television , I gave it a chance . Guess what I enjoyed it , and have watched a few games . I don't compare it to other football , who do so ?? I take it for what football is , a sport to be enjoyed . Simple really isn't it ??:wahey:

Wales certainly used to have a national side who had participated in the qualifying stages of the WC the ICC trophy as was. No idea if they still participate however.

They only played once in the ICC trophy because not enough teams entered it so they were invited to make up the numbers. They played the might of Israel and the USA if I remember correctly but it would be 30 or 40 years ago. They haven’t played competitive matches since.

Ooh good. Greenwood is playing so I'll probably watch it. Well, the Mrs watches football when Ronaldo is playing so what's good for the goose....

Not as fit as Alex Morgsn USA
Hahaha. I'll take your word for it - I don't want to lower the tone of this thread any further than I already have.
I must say I'm impressed with some of the skill on show from the players tho. Certainly much better than I could ever play, then again that wouldn't be too hard.