Women's Football (World Cups, WSL, Villa, the lot) | Page 45 | Vital Football

Women's Football (World Cups, WSL, Villa, the lot)

Well now they've played their cards and clearly, our owners and CEO can be ruthless in decision-making when they feel it's required.

They must have someone lined up?

"Aston Villa Women can confirm that Marcus Bignot's term as Interim Manager has ended following the completion of the season.

We would like to thank Marcus for his hard work and dedication under difficult circumstances which culminated in the team recording an excellent draw at Arsenal yesterday to confirm our WSL status. He leaves with our very best wishes for the future. "

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2021/may/Aston-Villa-Women-confirm-Marcus-Bignot-s-term-ends/

Last edited:
Making the assumptions NSWE have had the same approach to the lasses as they did the men's team, they'll be looking for significant improvement next season and if I have the structure right, this will be Aluko's appointment so less room to hide.

She's probably earnt some brownie points with Bignot's appointment as that did work.

Eniola Aluko is poised to leave her role as Aston Villa Women’s sporting director later this month, Telegraph Sport can reveal, after being offered what multiple sources have described as one of the ‘top jobs’ in the women’s club game.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/womens-...-eniola-aluko-poised-leave-aston-villa-women/

I saw something yesterday claiming she'd been offered some sort of role working with the US women's team which is in fairness the top of the women's game. I can't say I like Aluko after her comments during the pandemic but she didn't do too bad a job seeing as we got promoted and stayed up under her tenure, especially as I suspect Bignot probably wouldn't have come if not for her and he seems to have been a major reason we stayed up.

Whatever happens now I hope the ladies go from strength to strength. The record signing in all of women's football cost 300k so its not like its going to cost us a lot to improve the team in the grand scheme of things. There seemed to be a massive player turnover last summer, much like the first teams return to the Premier league so hopefully the ladies can consolidate and add quality over quantity this summer.

I’m all for funding the women’s game, within reason obviously. I just struggle to understand why the club would pay her what, £50-60k a year (no idea), for what? A PR stunt? Not sure what she’s really adding for the cost if I’m honest, when that money could probably find the whole squads travel, expenses, refreshments, kit, balls, team events for the whole year.

I’m all for funding the women’s game, within reason obviously. I just struggle to understand why the club would pay her what, £50-60k a year (no idea), for what? A PR stunt? Not sure what she’s really adding for the cost if I’m honest, when that money could probably find the whole squads travel, expenses, refreshments, kit, balls, team events for the whole year.

I would imagine she was getting paid a lot more than that.

7 of the Women's team leaving, if only it was as easy to get rid of some of the men's team. Amazing considering some only joined last summer and they don't have a manager t the moment

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2021/may/Villa-Women-announce-player-departures/

I think at the level we're operating at its 1 year contracts most likely. Can't say I follow too closely but reading the names I was surprised we've let Iwabuchi go as she's an actual top international with Japan, experienced, won the world cup and seemed to be one of the reasons we stayed up having joined in January when they looked dead and buried.