Winter Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 4 | Vital Football

Winter Transfer Rumour Thread

Sounds like deals already done in the background then. As long as we aren’t counting down the minutes at the end on tenterhooks like the summer window.

We have nine league games before any new signings can play, and possibly ten if the Sunderland game is slotted in this year, plus the FA Cup and PJT. Even though we are already at 19 November, the transfer window seems a long way off.

The Anderson infatuation seems to carry on with a section of supporters, just as it did with Rhead before him.

Both earned their place in the Hall of Fame but both ended up at a level they weren't capable of performing at.

I like Anderson. He was consistent (largely) and he chipped in with goals, he clearly followed instructions, but I never understood why people thought he was destined for a much higher level (including Steve Thompson). He always looked like someone who would have a good career in L2 or in a L1 in a side with low expectations.

When we broke out of that level it wasn't any surprise to me that his contract wasn't renewed - it may have been mutual for all I know.

That his apparent replacement has not performed well in the main is neither here nor there, the intention was to try and improve on what we had already. Without the attempt we just stand still in any case.

Even now, had he still been here, then our first choice front three would almost certainly be Maguire, Hopper and Scully. So he'd still be on the bench.

I sort of agree with the general thrust of the point, and I think he didn't fit the profile and was perhaps a higher earner, but I feel this is possibly underrating Anderson slightly. To say he ended up at a level he wasn't capable of performing at is a little unfair - I still think in a team that worked hard, pressed high and set up to provide service for a central striker he'd be a perfectly serviceable winger. His record in L1 as a bit part player was also reasonable.

I also take issue a tiny bit with the point around his replacement not being very good being 'here nor there'. Surely either sign a better player or stand still? That's a recruitment/scouting issue, and an important one surely! How far would you take that point in terms of us taking a gamble on crap replacements? Adelakun may of course come good but I would agree with the other posters that I'd rather have just kept Anderson of the two just from a purely footballing sense. He's not starting any more games than Harry now anyway.

Must admit I have never totally understood Appleton's position on wingers - I don't think it seemed totally coherent. Anderson was marked as not the right style of winger (which I always interpreted to mean playing effectively inside/centrally) but Elbouzedi and Archibald were also signed and are both more traditional widemen, even if Archibald was a bit of a 'cut in' type, he was a similar sort of profile as a hustle and bustle winger. I think those wingers could work in the system generally especially in the counter attacking style we're more effective in, but what do I know? I think if we'd just signed Rogers, Johnson, Whittaker, Maguire etc I would better understand it. I know the theory was that we moved upwards quicker than expected but it is pretty recently we signed some of them and I'm not sure the style of play is markedly different. We haven't been great at breaking down teams sitting in with any type of winger!

not being very good being 'here nor there'. Surely either sign a better player or stand still?

Just to clarify, all signings are gambles and Adelakun had previously been successful in this division. In that sense the chances of him failing were lower. It's still possible he will fail here. Other players were written off and showed they shouldn't have been,

Salah and De Bruyne were both considered to be flops at Chelsea. Bad scouting?

And I don't believe I underrated Anderson. I said I thought he'd be fine in L1, but we found ourselves in a position where we were challenging the top of the league.

That may change, and it probably will, but players come and go and Anderson is now a first team regular which he wouldn't have been here.

Just to clarify, all signings are gambles and Adelakun had previously been successful in this division. In that sense the chances of him failing were lower. It's still possible he will fail here. Other players were written off and showed they shouldn't have been,

Salah and De Bruyne were both considered to be flops at Chelsea. Bad scouting?

And I don't believe I underrated Anderson. I said I thought he'd be fine in L1, but we found ourselves in a position where we were challenging the top of the league.

That may change, and it probably will, but players come and go and Anderson is now a first team regular which he wouldn't have been here.
Always great to read your posts BB .Spot-on yet again in my view .

That bodes well, considering we should have most of the injured players back by that time too. Assuming they don't pick up more injuries before then, which they probably will. The exception is Walsh, who I am beginning to fear is crocked.
Best to assume if we get anything out of Walsh it is a bonus. Must be very difficult for him and his future.