Windass | Page 2 | Vital Football

Windass

Agree with Jeff, he's a a big loss for us.
We never played him in a proper attacking formation with say garner and/or Moore.
I'm guessing his attitude wasn't right tho. Always seemed to have a chip on his shoulder.
Never mind, we've still got massey, Lowe & Jacobs step in, aka the three stooges - young uns may have Google that

On ability Windass was one of our better attacking players.He has good pace and movement and knows were the net is(except on pens).So I'm disappointed he's gone out.
IF however he has fallen out with Cook and/or some players behind the scenes or simply doesn't want to be here then I understand the decision.The fact that it's a loan tells me it could be the latter.

Watched this a while back and says it all about windass. Lack application. Feels he knows better than the coaches and so on.

For his 4 - 5 goals a season I'd rather see Joffy now to be honest. Windass was in countless good positions over last 18 months and could play a simple ball to striker or finish basic chances. Hope we at least get money back for him

His dad's comments on twitter sums things up, he and his dad thought he was too good for us and it comes through with his dad's video! Rated him as a player but not as a team player!

His dad's comments on twitter sums things up, he and his dad thought he was too good for us and it comes through with his dad's video! Rated him as a player but not as a team player!

I'd largely agree with that.

Confidence is a good thing in a footballer, but I'm not sure that a scoring rate of 1 in 7 (as a player who considers themselves to be a striker) really shows that he was too good for us. I get that he doesn't always play as a striker, but he was always in an attacking role. Not just about scoring either. He never ever stood out as belonging at a higher level like Reece James and Nick Powell (when fit) did.

Confidence is great, but it needs to be based in reality. If it isn't, it's just arrogance. I'm not saying he's not a decent player: he clearly is, but I don't think he's nearly as good as he and his old man think he is, and if his attitude was causing problems in the dressing room and/or annoying other players, then we're well shut of him. He's not bigger than the team.

Shame, since he definitely has some ability, but not so much he's worth rocking the apple cart for, because in a relegation scrap, unity and team spirit is far more important than one decent player.

Dean says Josh was desperate to get away on that twitter video he made this morning.Therefore if he doesn't want to be here,despite being one of our better attacking options,then shipping him off the wage bill was the correct thing to do IMO.
But the question is why would he be desperate to get away?Does he think he should be playing for a bigger club,higher in table or has he fallen out with Cook and/or some of the players.I think a bit of all those but unless we are behind the scenes at the club we don't know for sure and can only speculate.But like Mulgrew it doesn't look good when players want to leave.
I hope he does well at Sheff Wed and therefore command a higher transfer fee in the Summer.

I don't think he ever wanted to come to Wigan after being slung out of Rangers by Steven Gerard. He's played with a scowl on his face every time he's put a Latics shirt on. He lacks desire and guts and I for one won't miss him and I hope he never wears our shirt again.

Never wanted to be here, never gave 100%, didn't like to be dropped, I had big hopes for him this season in Powells role but have been disappointed. Obviously didn't see eye to eye with the manager so no loss for me.

Interesting point is that I haven't seen any of his team mates come to his defence or offer support on social media in the way they did when Grigg went.

Hull-born Windass, brought in on loan until the end of the season from Wigan Athletic, told the club's official website: "I have made a few bad decisions in recent times but to come in here is a fresh start for me with a good squad of players and a good manager.

Deffo a bad decision bringing him to Wigan good riddence

Hull-born Windass, brought in on loan until the end of the season from Wigan Athletic, told the club's official website: "I have made a few bad decisions in recent times but to come in here is a fresh start for me with a good squad of players and a good manager.

We don't know for sure what he is talking about, but the way he said it strongly suggests he felt leaving Rangers to come here was one of those bad decisions. Which to be honest isn't much of a suprise as he's always seemed preoccupied with Rangers despite leaving them 18 months ago.

Who know's what happened behind the scenes but ultimately from his and his dads comments it sounded like it had come to a head. The fact that we rejected a loan bid for Windass earlier in the window from Sheffield only to accept it a few days later does suggest that something else happened over those few days to make us give up on keeping him.

Personally I'm disapointed as i thought he had something to offer but if the relationship had broken down to the point he was only going to sit at home rather than play then he might as well be off the wage bill.

I just hope he does well between now and the end of the season to beat all the teams we need Sheffield to beat for us and do well enough to make them want to buy him at the end of the season as he's almost certainly not coming back.

I'm sure he is talking about coming to Wigan as his mistake. What he fails to see is that it didn't have to be a mistake and that's on him.

As a boy growing up, I seriously doubt Antonee Robinson dreamed of playing for Wigan Athletic. But he wasn't getting a game at Everton, and when he came to Wigan on loan, I doubt he had a lot of choice in the matter. He signed permanently, which could have been a mistake... But he clearly knuckled down, worked with the coaches on his weaknesses, and in doing so earned himself a move to a giant of world football that only fell through on a red tape issue, not because they decided against it. He's going to get that move to a big club, no doubt about it, and good luck to him.

I'm not saying I think Windass could have played for a giant like Milan, but with his pace and trickery, if he'd really worked his arse off in training on his finishing and strength, I've no doubt he could've got a move to a smaller Premier League club at minimum. But instead, he sulked, snarked and acted like the big I am on social media... And now he's on loan at a mid table Championship club. If he'd have really worked at it and started scoring, he'd have already been at a mid table Championship club now (us with a few more goals...), with his next move being upwards.

So was the mistake coming to Wigan? In his head, I have no doubt. Reality is that we're high enough up the football ladder that if he'd really worked hard and excelled for us, he'd have got a much bigger move than Sheffield Wednesday (no disrespect to them). So really, the only mistake was complacency and arrogance.

I don't wish him anything but the best of luck though. If he doesn't kick on in Sheffield, we'll be stuck with him again in summer.

Last edited:
Maybe when he said 'i've made some bad decisions in recent times' he was referring to off the pitch stuff this season.Whether that was in his own personal life and/or stuff behind the scenes at the club with the management staff and/or players.
Whatever it was he doesn't want to be here anymore,so it was the correct decision to loan him out and get him off the wage bill.
I hope he does well there as the better he does the bigger his transfer fee will be in the summer.No better way for him to start against one of our relegation rivals at the weekend in Barnsley.

You knew it was over for Windass after he disappeared off the scene after his recent spell of good form. If he can’t hold his place in such circumstances. He had no future here.

There’s a player in there. But if your heart is not in the club it will never work out.

Spot on & his "good squad of players & a good manager" comment whilst saying nothing about those he's been with at Latics speaks volumes for how much better he thinks he is than he actually is & that the reason he hasn't been a barn storming success is because of the quality (or lack of) of those at Latics. Nothing to do with either his attitude or ability
I've also seen it commented on elsewhere that when players have left recently there's been a lot of comments on social media from other players about how much they'll be missed, good luck & all that
I haven't seen a single comment like that from any of the Latics squad towards Windass which again speaks voulmes - not that I've spent any time searching through all the squads social media posts!!

An extract from the interview with Windass on his move:

"[Sheffield Wednesday] have got a good squad of players, and importantly a good manager as well, so I am looking forward to coming and working under him.”

Maybe I'm reading more into it than there is, but that seems a bit pointed at Cook. Windass did himself no favours at Latics and I don't think he put in as much effort as he should've, but I think respect for the manager is important. Cook is all but impossible to respect for the many reasons we've all stated ad nauseam now, and I do wonder how many other players feel the same, but their professionalism is such that they just get on with it without saying anything whilst really wishing Cook got the boot and someone competent comes in.