Windass | Vital Football

Windass

jeffs right

Vital Football Hero
Pretty shite but less shite than any of the others masquerading as attacking midfielders this season.
WTF is going on? Cook out!

I dont think he was shite (except at penalties), he wasn't perfect but i think he was probably our only player who had the potential to make something out of nothing with his pace and movement.

For me he's better than all our other options in attack mid (except Joffy) and our second top scorer - think this is a blow to our chances. Especially if no replacement comes in - we are short of goals and creativity as it is without getting rid of possibly our best player in that regard.

Suspect that if he's going out without anyone coming in that it will be because Cook fell out with him, as he's certainly not a player we would get rid of on ability.

You must have been impressed with Joffy v Owls. I wasn't - he still has a lot to learn. Obvious potential there but not a Championship player yet.

Based on what I have seen so far I think joffy will have more to offer us than Windass.
Will he interesting to see if Windass performs better elsewhere in this league so that we can command a fee in the summer.

Based on what I have seen so far I think joffy will have more to offer us than Windass.
Will he interesting to see if Windass performs better elsewhere in this league so that we can command a fee in the summer.
Problem I have with him is that he's easily sussed out by opponents, needs ball at his feet & doesn't defend. Just my observations. Still very young and lots of potential.

josh and had already unfollowed wigan, he has played his last game here and will be gone in the summer regardless. He must of hated it here under Cook. can only wait and see how he gets on at Weds
Happy to be proved wrong but Gerrard was happy to see him leave and he wasn’t a cult hero here. Maybe going back to Yorkshire will help him

Windass had natural ability, plenty pace, and a creative streak... That'll be missed.

With that said, a 50/50 ball was a 70/30 in the opponents' favour with Windass. He wouldn't ever commit himself fully.

We've had players like that before (Jordi Gomez comes to mind) but the difference is that they were extremely effective in other ways; Windass hasn't been.

In truth, I don't think Windass ever really wanted to come to Wigan, and it showed. Before this season started, I thought Windass could have been our ace in the hole. Given the chance to shine, he'd have taken that chance... But I don't think he has. He's always liked like he was only about 80% committed to the cause, and for that reason I think offloading him is a good move, and I don't think he'll be missed.

The much maligned Gary Roberts, for example, may not be nearly as quick as Windass was, but I wouldn't ever doubt that he was giving 100% (or more, given his advancing years) on any occasion he's come on. We're in a relegation battle; I don't think Windass' heart was ever really in it, and the one thing that counts in a relegation battle is players who will fight until their bodies can take no more. Windass wasn't suited to what's needed for the rest of this season, so no loss really.