Windass | Page 3 | Vital Football

Windass

An extract from the interview with Windass on his move:

"[Sheffield Wednesday] have got a good squad of players, and importantly a good manager as well, so I am looking forward to coming and working under him.”

Maybe I'm reading more into it than there is, but that seems a bit pointed at Cook. Windass did himself no favours at Latics and I don't think he put in as much effort as he should've, but I think respect for the manager is important. Cook is all but impossible to respect for the many reasons we've all stated ad nauseam now, and I do wonder how many other players feel the same, but their professionalism is such that they just get on with it without saying anything whilst really wishing Cook got the boot and someone competent comes in.

this "Maybe I'm reading more into it than there is"

like most folk on here do

UTFT

An extract from the interview with Windass on his move:

"[Sheffield Wednesday] have got a good squad of players, and importantly a good manager as well, so I am looking forward to coming and working under him.”

Maybe I'm reading more into it than there is, but that seems a bit pointed at Cook. Windass did himself no favours at Latics and I don't think he put in as much effort as he should've, but I think respect for the manager is important. Cook is all but impossible to respect for the many reasons we've all stated ad nauseam now, and I do wonder how many other players feel the same, but their professionalism is such that they just get on with it without saying anything whilst really wishing Cook got the boot and someone competent comes in.

........or on the other hand it could be that the other players are glad to see the back of a billy big bollocks and still have the greatest of respect for Cook as shown by the celebrations after the recent wins. Plus as I previously pointed out there seems to be an eerie silence on social media from his previous colleagues about his move.

It was obvious from the start that he didn't want to be here and thought it was below him, unfortunately for him he was not the player he or his father take him to be. I have no doubt that he will once again clash with his new manager, as he has done throughout his career, the first time that something doesn't go his way and will be on twitter bemoaning his luck.

Gerrard had him taped from day one and moved him on as soon as he could, most of the Rangers fans were happy to see him go, the guy is a troublemaker and it would seem that the dressing room is better off with him gone.

"the guy [Windass] is a troublemaker and it would seem that the dressing room is better off with him gone.

I don't dispute that, and I said as much in my previous posts... Windass won't be missed by me. Talent or not, we don't need egos and attitudes from players who can't accept their own failings, and I agree that players like that can be a disruptive influence and affect the whole team negatively...

But the biggest problem by a country mile is Cook. The dressing room would be far far better off with him gone.

Not necessarily backing anyone, but there is always two sides to the story. You believe your side, I will happily believe mine.
That reply wasn't to your post. Whilst I don't necessarily agree with all of what you're saying, you're making a sensible point and I respect that and do agree in part.

Josh Windass is this squad's equivalent of Lee Ashcroft - obviously talented, when he managed to take his head out from his own backside. I won't miss him.

I don't dispute that, and I said as much in my previous posts... Windass won't be missed by me. Talent or not, we don't need egos and attitudes from players who can't accept their own failings, and I agree that players like that can be a disruptive influence and affect the whole team negatively...

But the biggest problem by a country mile is Cook. The dressing room would be far far better off with him gone.

I'm not completely sure if the dressing room would be better off with or without Cook.

My own eyes have seen the way the players reacted to the last two games and the way they genuinely seemed appreciative of Cook being on the touch line. Surely if they wanted him gone they would have reacted differently and not gone over to the manager and embraced him.

Maybe I'm wrong but I haven't seen any signs that the players are against him.

Josh Windass is this squad's equivalent of Lee Ashcroft - obviously talented, when he managed to take his head out from his own backside. I won't miss him.

He hasn't gone yet...he might start monkeying after a few weeks of not getting his own way and they fire him off back over the pennines at the end of the season.

I'm not completely sure if the dressing room would be better off with or without Cook.

My own eyes have seen the way the players reacted to the last two games and the way they genuinely seemed appreciative of Cook being on the touch line. Surely if they wanted him gone they would have reacted differently and not gone over to the manager and embraced him.

Maybe I'm wrong but I haven't seen any signs that the players are against him.
Not overtly, but my original post was that I wonder how many of them are genuinely happy with him and how many would actually rather work with someone competent?

Of course players like Lowe, Massey, Jacobs etc. must love him because he keeps them in the team despite dire performance after dire performance.

I wonder what Anthony Pilkington (best wide player we have by a mile) really thinks? And Joffy? And Garner? Players who should be in the team by any sensible reckoning, but regularly aren't because players who have done little or nothing to deserve regular selection still occupy the starting XI?

Do those players still like and respect Cook, or are they just professional enough (where Windass isn't) to keep a lid on it and take the scraps they're thrown in the hope that Cook is booted sooner rather than later and then common sense will prevail?

It's a genuine question... I wonder...

He hasn't gone yet...he might start monkeying after a few weeks of not getting his own way and they fire him off back over the pennines at the end of the season.
That's what I'm worried about... If he gets all Billy big balls there, they'll send him back at the end of the season.

Then we'll potentially be stuck with him because if his rep gets too bad no-one will touch him. Bearing in mind he's now left his previous two clubs (us and Rangers) in somewhat inauspicious circumstances, it's stacking up against other clubs wanting to risk signing him if Wednesday doesn't work out because he has a perceived bad attitude as well.

At least if it goes well at Wednesday, even if it's just half a season, we can offload him and hopefully get something back for him. If not, he's a big earner we're potentially stuck with for another year.

Don't really care, all about who we have now and that we can get results. Nobody really knows what happened. But considering Gerrard want rid of him suggests its not just a one off thing to have happened to him. I can't stand Cook sometimes on what he says but hate him or love him, he is still the manager and should be treated as such while you are a player at this club.

Not overtly, but my original post was that I wonder how many of them are genuinely happy with him and how many would actually rather work with someone competent?

Of course players like Lowe, Massey, Jacobs etc. must love him because he keeps them in the team despite dire performance after dire performance.

I wonder what Anthony Pilkington (best wide player we have by a mile) really thinks? And Joffy? And Garner? Players who should be in the team by any sensible reckoning, but regularly aren't because players who have done little or nothing to deserve regular selection still occupy the starting XI?

Do those players still like and respect Cook, or are they just professional enough (where Windass isn't) to keep a lid on it and take the scraps they're thrown in the hope that Cook is booted sooner rather than later and then common sense will prevail?

It's a genuine question... I wonder...

Pilkington has been injured since Boxing Day, not as some would have it "frozen out". Returned to training last Friday. So he probably thinks he has been unlucky to have been injured and hoping he gets the chance to be back in the team for the run in.

Joffy will get his chance, but his outing against Sheff Wed showed that he is still raw and needs to be eased in and not rushed. I have no doubt the lad will be itching to get back in the side and show us he has the talent to make it but I dont think there would be any lack of respect for a manager that has brought him into the first team squad and given him his debut.

Garner is a journeymen pro and no doubt realises that he isn't going to play every game and accepts that.

I genuinely don't think that any of the players are just paying lip service to Cook, there seems to be genuine harmony in the squad. It is a very telling fact when a player has just had his dream move scuppered and still wants to turn up and support the team the next day. I doubt if there was any lack of respect from the players that Robinson would be bothered to turn up to support the team. In my book this is a show of togetherness and solidarity not the actions you would expect if there were disharmony and unrest in the dressing room.

There is no doubt in my mind that Windass was unhappy to be at the club and was possibly causing unrest in the dressing room, it could even have been that the senior pro's brought it to the managers attention, we will probably never know. What I do know is that I have seen players coming out in interviews saying how good the atmosphere in the dressing room is and nobody claiming there is a problem, and that also goes for their comments about the staff and management.

Glad to hear Pilkington hasn't been frozen out. But it is odd that considering he's been out a month this is the first we've heard about him having a knock.

Glad to hear Pilkington hasn't been frozen out. But it is odd that considering he's been out a month this is the first we've heard about him having a knock.

I think it was mentioned the week after it happened but was thought to be minor and that he would be back sooner, however it was clearly more serious than first reported.

Perhaps this is why the club need to be more open, to stop the speculation and rumours.

I think it was mentioned the week after it happened but was thought to be minor and that he would be back sooner, however it was clearly more serious than first reported.

Perhaps this is why the club need to be more open, to stop the speculation and rumours.

I thought Kendrick was asked on twitter and he said he didn't think he was injured when he first disappeared from the squad. But maybe it was cleared up / covered since and most of us missed it.

The club used to be quite good at giving us updates on injuries every week but more recently the injury updates seem a bit more sporadic.

I must admit that I haven't heard it mentioned by PC at any of the pre game pressers but I do remember a mention in the week immediately after the game. I was of the impression that it had cleared up and he was being overlooked for selection but it appears that the injury was worse than thought and he did only return to training last Friday.

Could all have been made clearer by the club if they would just be more open with injury news. We don't need to know all the details of the injury or how long the player will be out, but an update on who is or isn't injured is not going to give the opposition any advantage but it would certainly help to quell the fears and rumours.

I must admit that I haven't heard it mentioned by PC at any of the pre game pressers but I do remember a mention in the week immediately after the game. I was of the impression that it had cleared up and he was being overlooked for selection but it appears that the injury was worse than thought and he did only return to training last Friday.

Could all have been made clearer by the club if they would just be more open with injury news. We don't need to know all the details of the injury or how long the player will be out, but an update on who is or isn't injured is not going to give the opposition any advantage but it would certainly help to quell the fears and rumours.

Absolutely it was like when Mulgrew went back we had conflicting stories about if he had recovered and been left out or if he was still injured. Or when Josh fell out of the team after being first choice for week - we all assume it was a fall out - but if it wasn't the way it doesn't get discussed in interviews makes it look that way.

We don't even need to know how close they are to coming backs if they don't want to, just say 'a, b and c are still out but x, y and z are on the road back' so we have a rough idea - they used to do that every week. Seriously did the local press stop asking after Cook had his Bolton meltdown with the guy from Wish? In that interview he was complaining about being asked about injuries even though he was asked and happily answered that question every previous week - so it wouldn't shock me if they just wait for Cook to tell them rather than ask and risk him getting funny again.