Will Grigg to Sunderland | Page 5 | Vital Football

Will Grigg to Sunderland

It's beyond laughable that I'm sure the quoted numbers are missing a 0. If not it raises questions about tapping up as it's that derisory. I think we paid more than that for Mandaron and Woolrey. Still it's a great opportunity for Royle to start communicating and getting the fans on board by coming out and setting Sunderland straight.
Who is Royle?

You still don’t get it do you? They know that bid doesn’t get accepted, it’s about letting the club and player know that they are here, and believe me they won’t have made any bid without knowing for sure that the player wanted to come.

You also forget that this the first major sale of a new ownership so of course they are going to start low to test their mettle, it’s common business sense.

He’ll go, most likely for around a million with another million upon promotion and we’ll use that money along with Grigg’s saved wages to pay the wages of a far better striker on loan until the end of the season who unlike Griggalty will score the goals to keep us up.

It’s hilarious really, a couple of weeks ago you came on here shouting your mouth off about how we must keep “Cooky” and now you’re back on here shouting your mouth off about how we mustn’t sell Grigg. You do realise Cook doesn’t rate him right? He plays Garner, Vaughan and Windarse before him. So I suggest you pick which side you’re on.

I agree with a lot of that and am completely on the same page with some of it. Sunderland will have had chats with Grigg, they’ve found there’s an interest and are trying to exploit it. My worry is that “Griggalty” has not been given a chance to score goals and like you say, that comes down to Cook. I rate cook but as I made clear in my original post and the one I think you’re referring to... he needs to change things. He needs to pick Grigg and give him a chance, he needs to change the midfield and he needs to get us back to playing football.

My point on the Grigg debacle that I think you disagree with is, we won’t get anyone better. I think you’re kidding yourself if you believe we’re going to bring in a star goal scorer on the back of selling Grigg (a goal scorer by the way) for peanuts.

It’s easy to be bias and get carried away as you are. But, we’re not a big pull any more. That’s why I want Cook to stay, despite his mistakes, because who are the alternatives? Unsworth? And it’s also why I want Grigg to stay. I don’t blame you for having your head in the clouds, I respect it and it must be fun for you, but you’ll see by the end of the window... Hogan, Gestede, Nugent and the rest are not coming to play for us on the back of selling Grigg. There is no benefit to selling Grigg, ESPECIALLY if we go down again. We’ll be f***ed without him in league 1. But, at least you’ll be happy that IEC’s bank balance is improved which is what it seems to all be about now.

I agree with a lot of that and am completely on the same page with some of it. Sunderland will have had chats with Grigg, they’ve found there’s an interest and are trying to exploit it. My worry is that “Griggalty” has not been given a chance to score goals and like you say, that comes down to Cook. I rate cook but as I made clear in my original post and the one I think you’re referring to... he needs to change things. He needs to pick Grigg and give him a chance, he needs to change the midfield and he needs to get us back to playing football.

My point on the Grigg debacle that I think you disagree with is, we won’t get anyone better. I think you’re kidding yourself if you believe we’re going to bring in a star goal scorer on the back of selling Grigg (a goal scorer by the way) for peanuts.

It’s easy to be bias and get carried away as you are. But, we’re not a big pull any more. That’s why I want Cook to stay, despite his mistakes, because who are the alternatives? Unsworth? And it’s also why I want Grigg to stay. I don’t blame you for having your head in the clouds, I respect it and it must be fun for you, but you’ll see by the end of the window... Hogan, Gestede, Nugent and the rest are not coming to play for us on the back of selling Grigg. There is no benefit to selling Grigg, ESPECIALLY if we go down again. We’ll be f***ed without him in league 1. But, at least you’ll be happy that IEC’s bank balance is improved which is what it seems to all be about now.
Joe Garner bagged 25 goals in L1 last time he was in it, I think we’d be just fine without Grigg. You underestimate just how much of a pub league that division is.

Grigg’s been given enough chances to score goals, the reality is we’re a lower level Championship side and therefore we will never have the players to create numerous clear chances in this division unless the owners get their wallets out. Therefore we need to take the chances we get and Grigg doesn’t do that. He needs at least three clear cut chances a game to score and he doesn’t get that and will never get that at a lower level Championship team. Swansea at home and that absolute sitter he missed after not getting a sniff all game, was when I knew he’d never cut it for us at this level.

Will Grigg is a British passport holding player, with a proven record of scoring goals with adequate service. He's also added assists and defensive acumen to his game in the last two seasons. He's shown he can do it against the highest possible quality of opposition (vs Manchester City). Grigg is contracted to the club for another 18 months. He's worth £4-7m easily obviously shooting for the higher end if, IF we were to sell. With that money take half and bid for an improving player like Karlan Grant.

I bloody well hope the powers that be read that.

"Sunderland will have had chats with Grigg, they’ve found there’s an interest and are trying to exploit it."

surely that is illegal unless WAFC have officially given permission for this to happen?

"Sunderland will have had chats with Grigg, they’ve found there’s an interest and are trying to exploit it."

surely that is illegal unless WAFC have officially given permission for this to happen?

Yes you’re dead right it should be! They’ve probably not spoken to Grigg directly to be fair but I wonder if there’s been a chat through an agent to gather the interest. It could just be a Hail Mary and Grigg doesn’t want to go but always seems rare bids are made for players who aren’t interested.

Joe Garner bagged 25 goals in L1 last time he was in it, I think we’d be just fine without Grigg. You underestimate just how much of a pub league that division is.

Grigg’s been given enough chances to score goals, the reality is we’re a lower level Championship side and therefore we will never have the players to create numerous clear chances in this division unless the owners get their wallets out. Therefore we need to take the chances we get and Grigg doesn’t do that. He needs at least three clear cut chances a game to score and he doesn’t get that and will never get that at a lower level Championship team. Swansea at home and that absolute sitter he missed after not getting a sniff all game, was when I knew he’d never cut it for us at this level.

Fair point about Garner.

That miss was a bad one and a crucial one so it sticks in the mind. But I actually think the opposite on the whole. He’s not a player that needs 3 chances to score a goal. He’s a player that needs 1 chance to score a goal which is exactly what a team needs when we’re not creating many chances.

But, hey, we’ll agree to disagree and let’s see what happens. I’ve got my pitchfork and flight to Hong Kong ready.

We all know Grigg can score goals that is not in question , he is not getting game time and when he is no chances are coming his way .
Our new style of play does not suit him that is why he is on the bench ,
Watch Walton tomorrow when he gets the ball he holds on so the defenders can get up the pitch ready for his kick , PC gave him a bollocking last week for not distributing it quick enough ..

as much as hes abit of a legend here the fact remains he does not score enough in the championship,league one is his level fact! so i think we can do better in a replacement not a huge loss imo in this league he needs the ball on a plate to score and we dont have the quality to do that....

Garner like Vaughan scored goals in a 4-4-2 formation unlike Grigg who has scored goals as a lone striker.
Cook plays with one up top. Why would Cook want to lose his prefered type of player.
If Grigg goes it will be more down to The Invisible Man than Cook.

History and experience tells me he's on his way...I've seen similar too many times at many clubs. Player is totally pissed off through lack of game time and others are alerted to this. That's why the offer is derisory...because they know he's not happy with a manager who obviously doesnt fancy him .Players talk between themselves as well and also agents get involved when they think their players are getting messed around.

This whole thing will drag on and on with improved offers coming in until the last day of the window when he will go for about 600k and at that stage Cook will be judged ( if still here ) by those ( us ) that either rated Grigg or don't rate the replacement.

Grigg will go I’m sure and when he does we should remember him with affection. His goals fired us to two League 1 championships and an unforgettable win against City. He’s a player I’ve always liked, a great professional who gives his all every match.

Promising quotes from Cook today “Are we looking to sell players? No. Why would we? Will Grigg is one of the mainstays of my success here. Will knows what I’m waiting for to get him back in the team...Powell, Jacobs, Massey.”

It makes sense to be fair that Grigg needs the supply. But I’d argue that hes actually better at holding the ball up than some give him credit for. Seems like he’s still wanted, let’s hope he stays!

Also quoted as saying “Stan Ternent gave me a lovely piece of advice when I was starting. He said if I was ever struggling, always look back to your best games and pick the same team. When I shut my eyes, Will Grigg has been in every single one of those sides.” Let’s turn it around now Cook! Get us back playing football and doing what works best for us.

Sounds like a bit of man management from Cook. However regardless of those absentees I'd argue there has been no need for us to play in the manner we have and that Grigg is still our best striker. Doesn't sound like he'll play tomorrow which I guess will fan the flames further - no pun intended.

Pity he didn't go a step further in calling out Donald Stewart for his insulting offer. Lets remember this was the bloke who sold us mandaron and had our pants down. I'm guessing he thinks he can do so again. Until we get a better centre forward through the door then there should be no consideration of selling him.

Also sounds like the penny has dropped in regards the style of play.

Great post MIW...sounds like another example of the bollocks spouted about Macca in his plans and then hardly uses him.

If I was a betting man I would say the dye has been cast.