Wigan Ladies & Girls WFC. | Page 5 | Vital Football

Wigan Ladies & Girls WFC.

Women's football is unrecognisable from a few years ago and anyone saying it is never gonna catch on give your heads a wobble. This season Arsenal have had 2 gates of over 60.000. The Lionesses are regularly selling out Wembley. Like it or not it is now a major player in British sport. Me personally I would rather watch 11 girls in Latics shirts than slobbering men in rugby

Leigh have Leigh RL,Man United ladies,some Man United reserve games plus international Ladies games,Can't see why we couldn't follow suit
We could follow suit if the pitch could take it but it can't, you only have to look at the state of it after the WCC, the grounds staff have enough on their plates without adding to it.

I doubt the women will regularly play at the DW because the attendances likely wouldn't justify it.

We struggle to get a decent atmosphere with about a 9k average crowd and we know running the stadium is expensive. Realistically the women are probably going to get a significantly smaller attendance and I don't think that size of crowd in a 25k stadium probably works for anyone.

I imagine it will be a bit like the U18s - they regularly play elsewhere but occasionally use the DW if it's a big game where they expect the attendance to be much larger than normal.

I abhore that tournament that takes place in this country every August that is systematically destroying domestic cricket in England. But if the women are to ever play at DW then we'd be wise to follow their double-header strategy and have the women play before the men's game. That'll give them the best chance of drawing a good crowd.

I went to Old Trafford last June before a T20 game and they had it right. Women's game mid-afternoon then Men's game around 5.30-6pm. Women's game had a healthy crowd that filled up as it went on (I arrived around half-way through that game).

Leigh have Leigh RL,Man United ladies,some Man United reserve games plus international Ladies games,Can't see why we couldn't follow suit
It's an interesting one this. Obviously the rugby is a huge handicap in this department. If we were the sole occupiers of the DW, I could easily have seen us do a deal with Man Utd for their women to play here, which is far more accessible than Leigh.

Perhaps a more important topic is where the Man Utd men will play if Old Trafford is getting knocked down for redevelopment. I'm sure they'd play their biggest games at Wembley, but to appease their fans, they'll need to play games in the North West. But if they want to stay in the area then their only realistic options are us and Bolton. In which case Mike Danson should be moving heaven and earth to ensure that we get the gig, when considering the financial goldmine at stake. We'd be taking about an eight-figure pay-day, not to mention the financial boost to the town itself.