Wigan Ladies & Girls WFC. | Page 3 | Vital Football

Wigan Ladies & Girls WFC.

But don't you think the Club should have released the Comms much earlier than today? - a day after the press release of the original Wigan Ladies. Surely a experienced comms manager would have known that the gap time would have caused unnecessary unpleasant social media outburst. This causes more distrust of the Club and less goodwill towards it.
Or ... maybe the current set-up were fully aware of what was going to be announced, and had been asked to keep it under their hats, but one or two disgruntled persons decided to release the cat from the bag. Poor show really.

What a wonderful thing to happen, I am sure Frank will be as exited as I. I have been a supporter of the women's game since I saw Dick Kerrs ladies play many year ago (to many). Any one else remember DK ladies, if I remember right they were a team from Preston.
Operation rebuild is well under way.

What a wonderful thing to happen, I am sure Frank will be as exited as I. I have been a supporter of the women's game since I saw Dick Kerrs ladies play many year ago (to many). Any one else remember DK ladies, if I remember right they were a team from Preston.
Operation rebuild is well under way.
Dick Kerr's ladies ! Bloody hell, there's a blast from the past. I used to work there, but just a few years later. ;)

They were a team from the factory on Strand Rd which later became BAC, then British Aerospace (and even later BAE Systems, though the Strand Rd site had long gone by then).

I've been given a bit more info regarding the situation.

Apparently the current team has no affiliation outside of playing in the clubs colours.

The club isnt going to share the details but there was due diligence done regarding bringing them into the club. But based on that a decision was made that starting a team fully in house was the better option.

I've been given a bit more info regarding the situation.

Apparently the current team has no affiliation outside of playing in the clubs colours.

The club isnt going to share the details but there was due diligence done regarding bringing them into the club. But based on that a decision was made that starting a team fully in house was the better option.

Whose this come from? The fans groups/supporters club or elsewhere.

It's not true they had no affiliation as such. They were granted permission to use the name and badge by the club and people at the very top in previous ownership sat with them and agreed this. Whilst they weren't officially affiliated that is some for of affiliation.

The due diligence I know nothing about but I've only 1 side of the story.

What annoys me the most is that there's not 1 statement thanking those people that ran the Club when womens football wasn't trendy and helped grow the women's game in wigan.

The least they could do is thank people, it costs them nothing.

It's not true they had no affiliation as such. They were granted permission to use the name and badge by the club and people at the very top in previous ownership sat with them and agreed this. Whilst they weren't officially affiliated that is some for of affiliation.

What annoys me the most is that there's not 1 statement thanking those people that ran the Club when womens football wasn't trendy and helped grow the women's game in wigan.

:clap:
I see you've been getting lessons from Frankie in "how to get mad at summat based on the flimsiest reasoning".

Frankie does it better, but I suppose it's a good effort.

This is about a new team ... nowt to do with the old one, who may (as has been discussed) carry on as they were ... maybe albeit with a minor name change.

That's my view on it too.

Thanking them and wishing them well would have come across a lot better than pretending they never existed. The statement is carefully worded with things like "first official Wigan Athletic women's team" but to anyone not in the know it's as though there hasn't been a team playing for the name and badge for the past 25 years.

It's from the club.

No one is arguing they weren't granted permission to use the name and badge by previous ownership, but that is what they meant saying no affiliation other than wearing the colours.

The club doesn't want to publicly discuss any reasons found in due diligence that made them opt against bringing them into the fold - it would be unprofessional to do so. But i imagine the current womens set up could've mentioned it in their press release if they wanted to, the fact they haven't probably means they don't want any of those details in the public.

The club has not said this, but i personally wonder if the fact that the decision was made for a while but a press release by the current women's set up was put out before the clubs own has not gone down well. It took the shine off their announcement and caused them a bit of backlash online, if the club had any reason to believe that was cynical / deliberate that could be a reason why the club hasn't thanked anyone.

As i said i'm not going to assume the club is in the wrong unless there is evidence.

Last edited:
On the tv now with the plan to get in the Women’s Super league. Pity the owners never said any thing about. The men’s football teams aim

If you're launching a new club you're trying to generate a bit of hype, so i'm not surprised they said that as it goes without saying that the ambition for every club is getting to the top tier.

But after the 2 previous ownerships nearly killed us and we are rebuilding, i think talk of getting us into the Prem would come across very premature or naive. We obviously want to get back there but we all know it's a long hard climb.

Maloney has said the clubs ambition is to be challenging for promotion next season while being as self sustainable as possible which i think is the right approach.

The club has not said this, but i personally wonder if the fact that the decision was made for a while but a press release by the current women's set up was put out before the clubs own has not gone down well.
I suspect you're right it won't have gone down well behind the scenes. I was wondering earlier on if had they not put the statement out if the club would have done theirs today as it's international women's day

If you're launching a new club you're trying to generate a bit of hype, so i'm not surprised they said that as it goes without saying that the ambition for every club is getting to the top tier.

But after the 2 previous ownerships nearly killed us and we are rebuilding, i think talk of getting us into the Prem would come across very premature or naive. We obviously want to get back there but we all know it's a long hard climb.

Maloney has said the clubs ambition is to be challenging for promotion next season while being as self sustainable as possible which i think is the right approach.
This club very unlikely ever be a premier club again That was . Whelans. Dream to follow uncle Jack at Rovers. Do I want to be the whipping. Boys of the Premier league. No thanks. A nice long stay in the Championship will do just fine. And in the close season we will find out how much ambition Danson. Has for our club. And that’s the reason first time in a long time. I will wait before buying a season ticket. Or next season will pick my games.

Flying off on a slightly different tangent:

Twenty-odd years ago, my son played at Wigan Juniors which ran teams at under 7s, U8s, U9s, and U10s before the players graduated into the Wigan And District Youth League.

One player was head and shoulders above all the other players at Wigan Juniors, her name was Sarah Bayman. At U11 level, players left Wigan Juniors and formed teams in the Wigan and District Youth League. However, the best player at U10 level was barred from playing on and her short football career was over. She and her father were devastated.

Things have thankfully moved on since then but as far as women are concerned, they are still treated abysmally in all walks of life. Anything that brings extra money and opportunities to the women's game can only be a good thing. Well done Mike Danson.

PS Sarah Bayman went on to be England captain at netball (84 caps). I often wonder what she could have achieved at football if only she had been given the chance.

Last edited:
I can't believe everyone is making such a fuss about this. Do any of you honestly give a flyers about womens football.
I wouldn't go and watch it if it were free and I'd shut my kitchen curtains if they were playing in my back garden.
Lets have a bit more honesty here instead of pandering to the do-gooders and the politically correct brigade.
Its over rated rubbish that the BBC have rammed down everyone's throat to a point were every one thinks they have to like it or they are deemed to be sexist dinosaurs and not politically correct. Why are we too scared to be honest these days.

This club very unlikely ever be a premier club again That was . Whelans. Dream to follow uncle Jack at Rovers. Do I want to be the whipping. Boys of the Premier league. No thanks. A nice long stay in the Championship will do just fine. And in the close season we will find out how much ambition Danson. Has for our club. And that’s the reason first time in a long time. I will wait before buying a season ticket. Or next season will pick my games.

A lot of clubs who have been there or are now like Brighton, Luton, Bournemouth and Brentford were all in far worse positions than we are now and at those times no one would've given them a chance of making it. So you never know, sometimes things can change very fast.

I think we'll be a Prem club again one day down the line but I don't think it's likely anytime soon.