Wigan Ladies & Girls WFC. | Vital Football

Wigan Ladies & Girls WFC.

St. Column Major

Vital Reserves Team
Wigan Athletic have issued a statement - Wed 6th March 24

Very poor decision in this day and age, in fact it is a disgrace, I have been on the front foot defending critics of this regime, but more and more I and losing patience, the PR at the clubs seriously needs looking at and as others have said they need to start looking at themselves and coming up with some answers.

Attachments

• WAFC Ladies,.jpg
    WAFC Ladies,.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Strange if the club are to launch their own professional club that the current one will continue as Wigan Athletic ladies rather than re branding.

Club should be issuing a joint statement explaining that they are wanting a pro setup and that the current ladies wish to continue as a semi pro club so are choosing to split from the “official” club if that is indeed the case.

I’ve been as critical as a lot of other posters when it comes to the over the top media attention with regards women’s football and the constant comparisons to the men’s game. But they have as much right to play, represent the town and enjoy their football as the men do and as SCM said it’s a yet another PR shitshow at the club that will no doubt be put down to the lack of leadership.

Regardless of what is happening behind the scenes with a new team it comes across as us binning the women’s team off.

But they have as much right to play, represent the town and enjoy their football as the men do
Surely they're still able to do this ... just without a link to (and unsupported by) Wigan Athletic FC.

If the club are establishing a professional women's team, then that's great, though not sure how many of the existing set-up will get taken on. The thing I'm a touch disappointed in is the absence of any link with the ongoing amateur set-up ... though I suppose that the club doesn't have a link to an amateur men's organisation.

Strange if the club are to launch their own professional club that the current one will continue as Wigan Athletic ladies rather than re branding.

Club should be issuing a joint statement explaining that they are wanting a pro setup and that the current ladies wish to continue as a semi pro club so are choosing to split from the “official” club if that is indeed the case.

I’ve been as critical as a lot of other posters when it comes to the over the top media attention with regards women’s football and the constant comparisons to the men’s game. But they have as much right to play, represent the town and enjoy their football as the men do and as SCM said it’s a yet another PR shitshow at the club that will no doubt be put down to the lack of leadership.

Regardless of what is happening behind the scenes with a new team it comes across as us binning the women’s team off.
It really doesn't. That team/club/outfit was independently formed and were essentially loaning the Wigan Athletic name for free. Now the club rightly want to establish their own women's team/academy, so are taking their name back. That other outfit are free to carry on as they are, they'll just need to use a different name.

My sister played for Wigan Athletic Ladies right at the very beginning. I remember Flo & Brian Mather very well.

It's about time we had a ladies team no matter what you think about the woman's game it's the fastest growing sport spectator wise. It will easily overtake the joke sport and possibly cricket as well. I for one will watch the girls and hope they can bring us some great days out like the men have. After all it's the tree and crown on the shirt which is everything to a tic. ONE LIFE ONE LOVE ONE WIGAN ATHLETIC The real Melchester Rovers.

Don’t know a lot about women’s football in wigan. Would it not be better the club taking over this existing set up.
From what Perdika says, that is what has been offered/implied. I would imagine that a fully supported WAFC Ladies under the club umbrella will soon attract the better players, leaving the unofficial version struggling to raise revenue and attract the semi-professional players they talk about, let alone pay them.

Not being funny but the focus and finances should be on getting the mens first team squad sorted for next season.
Missed a couple of open goals there Frankie ...

1. At least we know where Magennis is playing next season

2. At least we know Maloney will be getting his new players from next season.

Disappointed in you tbh..

Given our new found co-operation with the eggs I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them playing their home games at Robin Park.

Can't think of anywhere else locally really that can facilitate it properly.

Given our new found co-operation with the eggs I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them playing their home games at Robin Park.

Can't think of anywhere else locally really that can facilitate it properly.
Atherton (2 clubs I think they have) and Ashton the only ones I can think of.

Charnock is a bit further (and not in the town) so Robin Park is the only real option.

Probably worth just playing at the training ground for now. They'll only be playing at the 6 or 7th tier of women's football I imagine

Yeah it's a bit of a tough one for them as assuming they won't want to go far away from the DW area but on the other hand will need to be able to facilitate supporters in some way to grow the club/brand which I'm not sure the training ground would be fit for.

Ground itself will be a no go as the pitch gets enough of a battering from us, egg chasers and youth teams.

Who knows, with the decline of the thugby as a sport and rise of womens football give it 10 years and maybe they'll be playing in Robin Park and WAFC women will be in the DW.

I heard on the news yesterday that St Helens have become the third egg chasing club to start paying their female team players. Can’t recall the other two but the worriers weren’t one of them.

Only a matter of time but Danson will need to fork out for this additional cost and of course for the female team football players. The amount I assume will be relatively small but both us and worriers already run at a loss. The question needs to be asked where this additional money will come from and will it affect the first team budget?

I heard on the news yesterday that St Helens have become the third egg chasing club to start paying their female team players. Can’t recall the other two but the worriers weren’t one of them.

Only a matter of time but Danson will need to fork out for this additional cost and of course for the female team football players. The amount I assume will be relatively small but both us and worriers already run at a loss. The question needs to be asked where this additional money will come from and will it affect the first team budget?
I don't imagine players will get paid.

The level below the Women's Super League is barely even semi-pro

There will be tons in terms of grants that the club can tap into to pay for a decent % of the running costs.

Huddersfield, Leeds and York the other women's RL club who pay btw

I don't imagine players will get paid.

The level below the Women's Super League is barely even semi-pro

There will be tons in terms of grants that the club can tap into to pay for a decent % of the running costs.

Huddersfield, Leeds and York the other women's RL club who pay btw

I wouldn’t be sure. You know how these things work in this day and age.