Wigan Ladies & Girls WFC. | Page 2 | Vital Football

Wigan Ladies & Girls WFC.

The amount of folks acting so furious on social media yesterday probably feel they jumped the gun a bit now.

I'm not saying folks haven't got the right to get get upset about anything, but this is probably a good example of the value of waiting to get a bit more info before giving it both barrels.

An official women's team has been in the pipeline pretty much since the takeover happened.

I heard on the news yesterday that St Helens have become the third egg chasing club to start paying their female team players. Can’t recall the other two but the worriers weren’t one of them.

Only a matter of time but Danson will need to fork out for this additional cost and of course for the female team football players. The amount I assume will be relatively small but both us and worriers already run at a loss. The question needs to be asked where this additional money will come from and will it affect the first team budget?

With our ambition to be self sufficient, the women's team will probably be something they want to be the same.

I imagine that they will be not looking to invest loads initially but depending on the interest from the fanbase will adjust the budget accordingly.

I don't imagine players will get paid.

The level below the Women's Super League is barely even semi-pro

There will be tons in terms of grants that the club can tap into to pay for a decent % of the running costs.

Huddersfield, Leeds and York the other women's RL club who pay btw
The second tier is going fully professional from next season, a company has already been formed which will take over from the FA run both that and the WSL from next season onwards. Not that this matters from a Wigan point of view as we'll be starting right at the bottom. A number of clubs who currently play below second tier level have already gone full time to get themselves up the leagues (Burnley, Wolves, Newcastle etc).

Our players will definitely get paid at some point, the whole reason this is getting brought in-house is to professionalise it. It'll get funded through grants, sponsorship and ownership investment. I'd expect us once we've got this up and running to operate at semi-pro level with a select few full time employees focused solely on the Women's team (head of women's football, head coach, head secretary/liason/media etc).

Plus, if we want to shoot up the leagues which we'll need to do to get near the monies available within the top two tiers, then that's the best way to do it.

It's really poor in my eyes and nothing but a grab by the club to get their hands on the numerous grants that are available.

The current set up was going semi pro this year anyway. They should have been brought in house via merger or amalgamation rather than starting a fresh from the bottom and shafting volunteers who have put time and money into the current club with the backing to use the name because there's been no money in the ladies game. I've had this happen to me so I know how it feels.

Then you've got the usual suspects who sit at the top table telling us all how we should feel and react whilst playing holier than though as usual.

I bet the reaction would be completely different from them if it was the club bringing the podcast back in house, the fanzine or the supporters trust being brought back "inhouse" but those people no longer being guaranteed to be involved.

The second tier is going fully professional from next season, a company has already been formed which will take over from the FA run both that and the WSL from next season onwards. Not that this matters from a Wigan point of view as we'll be starting right at the bottom. A number of clubs who currently play below second tier level have already gone full time to get themselves up the leagues (Burnley, Wolves, Newcastle etc).

Our players will definitely get paid at some point, the whole reason this is getting brought in-house is to professionalise it. It'll get funded through grants, sponsorship and ownership investment. I'd expect us once we've got this up and running to operate at semi-pro level with a select few full time employees focused solely on the Women's team (head of women's football, head coach, head secretary/liason/media etc).

Plus, if we want to shoot up the leagues which we'll need to do to get near the monies available within the top two tiers, then that's the best way to do it.
Common sense ... It'll never catch on..👏

I bet the reaction would be completely different from them if it was the club bringing the podcast back in house, the fanzine or the supporters trust being brought back "inhouse" but those people no longer being guaranteed to be involved.
What a very weird take on things.

How can they "bring in-house" summat they don't own?

They have a programme ... Mudhutter runs alongside it. The SC/ST is already "in-house" (notwithstanding the one travel club). As for the podcast, what on earth can they take back? Its a load of blokes (occasionally women too) chewing the fat. Moreover, why would they do it? ... any of them?

It's really poor in my eyes and nothing but a grab by the club to get their hands on the numerous grants that are available.

The current set up was going semi pro this year anyway. They should have been brought in house via merger or amalgamation rather than starting a fresh from the bottom and shafting volunteers who have put time and money into the current club with the backing to use the name because there's been no money in the ladies game. I've had this happen to me so I know how it feels.

Then you've got the usual suspects who sit at the top table telling us all how we should feel and react whilst playing holier than though as usual.

The club will be paying their own money towards this and will rightly want to recruit their own staff, who will be interviewed by their own people like Gregor Rioch to ensure they are the right people for the job. Now if anyone at this other club want to apply for a role within an official Wigan Athletic side, I'm sure they'll be allowed to do so. Alternately, absolutely nothing is stopping them from carrying on as they are under a different name, or the name of a different club to represent with the positive reputation they've clearly garnered over a number of years. Although having never operated previously at semi-pro level, I have my doubts that this will be changing whatever they may say.

What a very weird take on things.

How can they "bring in-house" summat they don't own?

They have a programme ... Mudhutter runs alongside it. The SC/ST is already "in-house" (notwithstanding the one travel club). As for the podcast, what on earth can they take back? Its a load of blokes (occasionally women too) chewing the fat. Moreover, why would they do it? ... any of them?
You can bring it in house by merging or amalgamating, im sure those that run the club now would have no problem with that knowing they had financial backing.

It was hypothetical. The supporters club are not "inhouse" they are just recognised as the official I believe which is the same as this ladies club was, let's say tomorrow the club realise they could make a few quid from it would you and they be OK with the club just starting a new "official" supporters club with no one from the original? Or let's say they took the travel part off them (like they did under whelan temporarily) they ok there?

The podcast is named using a phrase that I would be gobsmacked isn't trademarked by the club or council. The club could easily start a new official podcast with their own team and funding. The mudhutter yeah would be difficult but it was just hypothetical.

The club will be paying their own money towards this and will rightly want to recruit their own staff, who will be interviewed by their own people like Gregor Rioch to ensure they are the right people for the job. Now if anyone at this other club want to apply for a role within an official Wigan Athletic side, I'm sure they'll be allowed to do so. Alternately, absolutely nothing is stopping them from carrying on as they are under a different name, or the name of a different club to represent with the positive reputation they've clearly garnered over a number of years. Although having never operated previously at semi-pro level, I have my doubts that this will be changing whatever they may say.
You think what you've said is OK?

Forget the years and years of volunteers keeping the women's game alive and under the wigan athletic name.....the club now sees its popular and they can make a few quid.

Reason they are doing this and why numerous clubs are turning semi pro is because there's grants available to womens football many for the first time.

You can bring it in house by merging or amalgamating, im sure those that run the club now would have no problem with that knowing they had financial backing.

It was hypothetical. The supporters club are not "inhouse" they are just recognised as the official I believe which is the same as this ladies club was, let's say tomorrow the club realise they could make a few quid from it would you and they be OK with the club just starting a new "official" supporters club with no one from the original? Or let's say they took the travel part off them (like they did under whelan temporarily) they ok there?

The podcast is named using a phrase that I would be gobsmacked isn't trademarked by the club or council. The club could easily start a new official podcast with their own team and funding. The mudhutter yeah would be difficult but it was just hypothetical.
How on earth are they going to bring Mudhutter in-house?

How are they possibly going to stop a bunch of folk having a chat and airing it?

That's just claptrap.

The ladies club obviously wasn't recognised as official ... hence the recent announcement.

Sorry mate, but I think it's knickers in a twist time.

Edit - as for PWU being trademarked ... :slap: Do you think the word "Believe" is trademarked?

You think what you've said is OK?

Forget the years and years of volunteers keeping the women's game alive and under the wigan athletic name.....the club now sees its popular and they can make a few quid.

Reason they are doing this and why numerous clubs are turning semi pro is because there's grants available to womens football many for the first time.
Those volunteers "keeping the women's game alive" should be delighted at the news that the biggest club in the borough are opening their doors to women and girls footballer rather than jealous. They've had god knows how many years at this and their Wigan team remain in the (checks notes), seventh tier of Women's football. Time for a new broom.

Interesting debate.

The existing setup had an opportunity to become a part of the club some 20 years ago and voted against it, mainly because it would mean the leadership of it would have to have stepped aside, something they were against at that time.

It is a difficult balancing act between performance and inclusion, which an amateur affiliate will always find problematic.

Eventually becoming semi pro and FA Charter Standard is an achievement in itself, but if it was ever to truly make progress, it needed to do so under the auspices of the club.

Last edited:

The Supporters Club is recognised as another fan club like Mudhutter, Travel Club, PWU plus others. The word Official is not bestowed on them - they just adopted the word "Official".

In the past there was a lot less interest in womens football than there is now and no grants available to offset costs so i'm not surprised the club didn't look at this earlier.

I doubt the grants are going to big enough to give the club profit, but if they allow the club to run a woman's side on a near cost neutral basis then they should be making the most of it.

An official women's team has been discussed behind the scenes pretty much since the the takeover happened. So this isn't a sudden thing, it's been in the works for months but not at the point of being announced until now.

We've got very little info about the ins and outs of the situation of the current team using the Wigan Athletic name but I am certain the club will have had discussions and explored options with those involved before they came to the conclusion that this is the best course of action. It's clear this decision isn't the outcome those currently running the women's team wanted, but unless we have any evidence the club is definitely in the wrong i'm not going to assume they are.

If the people currently volunteering on the playing or coaching side for the women's team are the best people for the job the club would probably be interested in hiring them if they applied for roles.

The amount of folks acting so furious on social media yesterday probably feel they jumped the gun a bit now.

I'm not saying folks haven't got the right to get get upset about anything, but this is probably a good example of the value of waiting to get a bit more info before giving it both barrels.

An official women's team has been in the pipeline pretty much since the takeover happened.
But don't you think the Club should have released the Comms much earlier than today? - a day after the press release of the original Wigan Ladies. Surely a experienced comms manager would have known that the gap time would have caused unnecessary unpleasant social media outburst. This causes more distrust of the Club and less goodwill towards it.

But don't you think the Club should have released the Comms much earlier than today? - a day after the press release of the original Wigan Ladies. Surely a experienced comms manager would have known that the gap time would have caused unnecessary unpleasant social media outburst. This causes more distrust of the Club and less goodwill towards it.
The club clearly wanted to reveal it either on IWD or at the game on Saturday. The other club however, have sat on this information for over a month (it says Rioch informed them on February 8th) and look to have purposely timed the release of their statement to try and cause maximum negative PR (probably found out through an insider that Latics were set to go public), potentially forcing Latics to bring their announcement forward and rush it through today.

A snidey move if I may say so myself. The sourest of sour grapes.

It depends on the situation.

If the club announced the decision to the public before they informed the current women's team privately, they would've put out a press release saying that and everyone would say that was really poor from the club.

In this instance the club informed the current women's team of their decision and were planning a press release but the current women's team went public before they had a chance. As C Latic said above, it sounds like this info has been sat on and deliberately put out directly before our announcement.

The clubs comms needs to be better in general but in this instance I'm not sure if they have done anything wrong, as they can't control what others put out.

The Supporters Club is recognised as another fan club like Mudhutter, Travel Club, PWU plus others. The word Official is not bestowed on them - they just adopted the word "Official".
What was it that Vic 'n Bob used to say? ... "you wouldn't let it lie" :LOL:

;)