Whose next? Who can we get? Who do you want? | Page 14 | Vital Football

Whose next? Who can we get? Who do you want?

First question any of the candidates will ask Will be any cash to spend Will the players I try to bring get paid on time. And what ambition have you got. Be cause one thing. Gerrard or Ferguson wont want is a relegation on the cv.

Neil Critchley
Rob Edwards

Out of the names mentioned, although Big Duncan does intrigue me

Getting vibes of Ferguson is in contention and will be interviewed from those stories that have broken this morning but i think 'in pole position' is probably jumping the gun from the sources. Taking the 'in pole position' comments with a big pinch of salt. Suspect we are approaching candidates now, doing interviews later on in the week and will know of the new manager by end of this week or next Monday.

One thing that would interest me with Ferguson is if he could potentially bring Leighton Baines (currently U18s coach at Everton) to us as his assistant manager or as a member of the coaching staff if the rumours are true and he did get the job? James Beattie is also here too and he is a former teammate of Ferguson at Everton dont forget.

Baines coming in as Ferguson's assistant could be an interesting situation as it would if the appointment is a success give the potential for a handover of the main job at some point to Baines down the line?

Baines being Everton U18s manager too also means he will have knowledge of the elite academy teams up and down the country. Many of these players will be released by the top clubs from U18 and U23 clubs over the next 2 to 3 years, so someone with knowledge of that will be handy as if you can find those gems that are released and polish them into big fee future sales, then it will help the club going forward over the next few years.

I do hope we take a look at Edwards though too. And i agree with a few posters on here with ONeil, suspect maybe us but probably more prominently Luton (given they have a decent compensation package windfall from Southampton for Nathan Jones) will be looking at taking a chance on him if he isnt kept on at Bournemouth either as new manager or on Bielsa or another new manager's coaching staff

Last edited:
I don't disagree with your other points but think it's harsh to call Edwards disloyal for leaping from Forest Green to Watford. Possibly the smallest club in the EFL playing above the fourth tier for the first time, or a newly-relegated Premier League club expected to challenge for promotion who are probably offering you a wage ten times bigger at a conservative estimate.

That's not disloyalty, just common sense and I doubt anyone at FGR seriously begrudged him of the move at the time.

Mutally terminated contract at telford, 6 manager jobs in 6 years. Clearly has zero interest in seeing a project through. Not to mention what Dale Vince said about him after leaving FGR.

9 clubs as a player too, i think he's a worse version of Evatt personally. If thats you're cup of tea fair enough.

Forget Edwards' disloyalty for a moment, I just don't think he's a very good manager. We'd basically be replacing a L1 winning manager for a L2 winning one. Edwards' record at Watford was played 11 won 3 drawn 5 lost 3. Richardson's in comparison was played 11 won 4 drawn 4 lost 3 and that wasn't with Ismaila Sarr and Joao Pedro at his disposal.

A vastly overrated coach and certainly no better than Richardson. Warren Joyce won a few youth cup titles as well, that worked out for us!

The betting market seems to be changing daily. I actually can’t believe Steven Gerrard is now favourite for the job, it’d be a massive step down in terms of the size of the club compared to his last 2 jobs. I do think it could suit him though and it would be a huge boost for the club to have such a high profile manager. Only problem would be we’d become Steven Gerrard’s Wigan, like Derby were Frank Lampards Derby and Wayne Rooneys Derby.

Of everyone that is available my personal choice would be Chris Wilder. Again like with Gerrard I’d surprised if we could afford his wages. Personally I don’t fancy Edwards but wouldn’t mind Critchley.

Wigan today reporting Talal has flown in to conduct interviews, planning to speak to around a dozen candidates but it will be a board decision.

Criteria said to include a positive brand of football, working within a budget and understanding the club and culture.

We are going away for a training camp next week, so hopefully a decision to be made by then.

Very pleased to have a positive brand of football as a criteria. For a team like us who can't outspend the opposition on quality at this level, we need to make sure we have lots of movement make up for it.

12 candidates is very interesting, as we realistically haven't heard that many credible games.

I think Gerrard would be a good fit and would raise our profile, inspire players who would have looked up to him and give him a platform to rebuild his reputation.

Football Insider said Edwards now front runner for Luton. Nixon says he may have been interviewed but is not on their final 3 man shortlist.

Nixon also said Football Insider story on Ferguson being front runner for us after interview is wrong. He says we have not even contacted him but have contacted others.

Edwards now odds on for Luton job with bookies after being miles out until today.

The top 3 with the bookies for us (Ferguson, Gerrard, Maloney) Nixon said it won't be. 4th and 5th Critchley and Edwards. After that it gets a bit unrealistic.

A lot depends on what the owners want to do will Was told on Saturday that they were very disappointed with the season tickets sales for this season expected to sell a extra 2 thousand at the prices offered. And it was a major set back in the plans. So it might the biggest gamble ever going for Gerrard. But also could work for both sides. High profile top player managers some times work and in the past we haven’t done to. Bad. In days gone by. Names like Gordon Milne. Larry loyd Steve Bruce all top players. Brought success. What they do is bring a buzz around the place. But also. Could bankrupt us. Big gamble.

A lot depends on what the owners want to do will Was told on Saturday that they were very disappointed with the season tickets sales for this season expected to sell a extra 2 thousand at the prices offered. And it was a major set back in the plans. So it might the biggest gamble ever going for Gerrard. But also could work for both sides. High profile top player managers some times work and in the past we haven’t done to. Bad. In days gone by. Names like Gordon Milne. Larry loyd Steve Bruce all top players. Brought success. What they do is bring a buzz around the place. But also. Could bankrupt us. Big gamble.

Gerrard was on 5m a year at Villa, I can't see him wanting to drop to bottom of Championship and take a huge pay cut.

He may end up back at Rangers.

Gerrard was on 5m a year at Villa, I can't see him wanting to drop to bottom of Championship and take a huge pay cut.

He may end up back at Rangers.
Never say never. I don’t think he will come here. But if you read between the lines. These lot want to sell us. Plus they didn’t employ Richardson we as fans don’t have a clue how’s these think. Nothing would surprise me now.