Whose next? Who can we get? Who do you want? | Page 13 | Vital Football

Whose next? Who can we get? Who do you want?

That is on Skybet which has had 3 different favourites in 4 days all of which did not appear in odds checker prices at all.

I would love it but to quote Victor Meldrew "I don't believe it".

Don't think Oddschecker has changed in 4 days

One thing i saw mentioned elsewhere was if the next managerial appointment will be made with one eye on trying to establish an overarching football philosophy / style at the club for the long term.

Teams like MK, Luton and Swansea seem to have made a blueprint and every managerial appointment seems to be based on fitting their style.

We have always been very erratic hiring managers with completely different styles requiring constant high turnover of players. A couple of examples being Martinez followed by Coyle, Caldwell followed by Joyce - it was a huge contrast and not suprisingly didn't work.

So it'll be interesting to see if we try and go down that type of route. I don't think it's a bad shout in theory but finding the right candidate is always the tricky part.

That is on Skybet which has had 3 different favourites in 4 days all of which did not appear in odds checker prices at all.

I would love it but to quote Victor Meldrew "I don't believe it".

I bet Gerrard's annual wage demands are probably more than Pheonix bought the whole club for.

I put the chances of this happening at absolute zero.

In the super unlikely scenario we had about 5m a year to spare for Gerrard's wages I'd prefer to hire Critchley pay him few hundred grand and give him the rest to sign players!

All sorts of rumours going around. It will be Maloney on the cheap none of them do any thing for me. If it’s some one who wants to bring his own backroom men I would think,that’s a no no right away

Still think Edwards would be a good shout.

Would be my last choice. Less than 12 months everywhere he's been, zero loyalty + hasn't exactly done great anywhere. Could do a decent job short term, could also be terrible. Plays 5 at the back and two up front mostly. Usually two tall players attacking crosses. 11 games managed above league 2 and only 27% wr with watford. Bilic on 55% atm after the same amount played.

Still think Edwards would be a good shout.

I think there will be names the bookies and media haven't got yet still to emerge but from the names going around I think Critchley is probably the most obvious candidate and Edwards the second most obvious.

From what Nixon says Maloney and Ferguson not that likely. I can't see Cook or Bruce coming back and some of the other names in the frame are too unrealistic.

I think there's a good chance people like Monk and Hughton could apply. Both of them could be good. Monk's already got some of his staff here.

I just saw Valerien Ismael has reccently left Besiktas. I think someone mentioned him earlier in the thread and I said he had a job currently but he's clearly left since I read that. I'd be quite keen on him - he plays long but is actually quite good at it. Worked wonders at Barnsley. If he'd fancy it I'd put him as one of my favoured candidates.

Would be my last choice. Less than 12 months everywhere he's been, zero loyalty + hasn't exactly done great anywhere. Could do a decent job short term, could also be terrible. Plays 5 at the back and two up front mostly. Usually two tall players attacking crosses. 11 games managed above league 2 and only 27% wr with watford. Bilic on 55% atm after the same amount played.

I don't disagree with your other points but think it's harsh to call Edwards disloyal for leaping from Forest Green to Watford. Possibly the smallest club in the EFL playing above the fourth tier for the first time, or a newly-relegated Premier League club expected to challenge for promotion who are probably offering you a wage ten times bigger at a conservative estimate.

That's not disloyalty, just common sense and I doubt anyone at FGR seriously begrudged him of the move at the time.

I don't disagree with your other points but think it's harsh to call Edwards disloyal for leaping from Forest Green to Watford. Possibly the smallest club in the EFL playing above the fourth tier for the first time, or a newly-relegated Premier League club expected to challenge for promotion who are probably offering you a wage ten times bigger at a conservative estimate.

That's not disloyalty, just common sense and I doubt anyone at FGR seriously begrudged him of the move at the time.

Exactly this

Even with the apparent risks of taking a job at Watford given how sack happy their ownership is, if you are Edwards and that job offer is on the table you dont turn it down at all imo. Life changing sums of money with the salary hike too. Its exactly the same situation with Nathan Jones going from Luton to Southampton.

Interesting how Marcelo Bielsa is about to take over at Bournemouth which potentially would leave Gary O Neil out of work if he didnt stay on at Bournemouth under Bielsa on the coaching staff. Think its actually a little harsh Bournemouth not giving O'Neil the job till end of season given he came in and improved things considerably under Parker.

I suspect now that he has had a taste of full time management that O Neil will now be keen to get a full time gig somewhere and he will be looking at the Championship for opportunities. Suspect both us and Luton may also be monitoring what happens there

Next Wigan Athletic manager (odds correct as of 9.30am, NOV 15, 2022)

Steven Gerrard – 2/1

Duncan Ferguson – 5/2
Shaun Maloney – 10/3

Neil Critchley – 6/1
Rob Edwards – 7/1

Steve Bruce – 12/1
Mick McCarthy – 16/1

Steven Schumacher – 16/1

Lee McCulloch – 20/1
Mark Bonner – 20/1

Apparently, Big Dunc has held talks with us already

On what info ( if any ) are they basing those odds on ?... I mean Stevie G would be a dream and it would be close to his ancestral home but seriously, is he realistically going to come here ?

What happened to Gerard at Villa? Did he lose the dressing room?
IMO he "washes dirty linen in public" eg Mings incident. Not a good way to motivate your players.
They seem to have more fight after he left. So a big NO from me. (not that he cares or know me...)

IMO he "washes dirty linen in public" eg Mings incident. Not a good way to motivate your players.
They seem to have more fight after he left. So a big NO from me. (not that he cares or know me...)

Same question....Who would you like for next manager.

Same question....Who would you like for next manager?

Nixon says he's not heard anything about Ishmael, Monk or Hughton being in the frame.

Football Insider says Ferguson has held talks which is probably true as we'll meet multiple candidates - but they then stretch it into click bait saying he is front runner based on nothing.

I get the impression Luton may be dragging their heels a little to see what happens with O'Neil as he looks increasingly likely to become available.

1 names i've not seen anyone mention is Robbie Neilson (and his assistant Lee McCollouch) who Brannigan had at Dundee United and did very well for him. He is now at Hearts and seems to have a very respectable record.

I can imagine Brannigan could be advocating for us to look at him. If he fancied it.