Whose next? Who can we get? Who do you want? | Page 5 | Vital Football

Whose next? Who can we get? Who do you want?

As I’ve said on the previous occasions we’ve sacked managers, any prudent club should always have a list ready of any replacements. I hope this is the case and not a knee jerk decision that effectively leaves us already on the back foot.

Looking at the realistic names in the betting odds, none of them particularly fill me with any great enthusiasm. I’m not sure why Duncan Ferguson tops it given he’s not previously managed a club and I foresee another Warren Joyce type disaster unfolding here. I suppose he may give Magennis a kick up the arse and teach him how to head a football but I’m clutching at straws here trying to justify him getting the role. Whoever it is will be kicking off in the regelation zone and whilst the window may soon be opening I can’t see any money being spent to bolster the squad. It’s a bleak situation.

Not seen much discussion about Steven Schumacher. Not worked at this level but done a great job with a nice playing style in L1, and is local to this area.

It depends what the owners are wanting. If it's about surviving this year, which presumably it is or else Leam would have been given the full extent of his contract, then someone that wants to play attractive football will come unstuck very quickly. We don't have the players to play Martinez style, neither do we have the time or budget to change it. Leam's undoing was his lack of tactical diversity. For me that is what Critchley excelled at with Blackpool. They could play, press and frustrate, all with a weaker squad than we have now

A certain ex forward who was also ex assistant manager, who is currently plying his trade in the North East once said he had unfinished business with us.... 🤔

Duncan Ferguson as short favourite doesn't fill me with any hope, I don't think he's the right fit & imo wud prob cause unrest in the dressing room....he comes across as very bullish and aggressive which cud split players. He isn't my choice but wtf do I know.

He ain't my choice either.

Unless there's investment who the hell would take this job? We have player after player who have failed in this league previously and though many were brought in to do a job in League One i cant see how any aspiring Manager will fancy taking on the job without a change in budget.

"DUNCAN FERGUSON, ROB EDWARDS, ROBBIE FOWLER AND MICK MCCARTHY UNDER CONSIDERATION FOR MANAGERIAL VACANCY AT WIGAN" - Sky Sports ticker tape right now.

"DUNCAN FERGUSON, ROB EDWARDS, ROBBIE FOWLER AND MICK MCCARTHY UNDER CONSIDERATION FOR MANAGERIAL VACANCY AT WIGAN" - Sky Sports ticker tape right now.
The same Robbie Fowler who failed miserably in the Indian Super League, the same league that Owen Coyle won?! How the bloody hell did he blag his way onto the long list...

Looks like we are in the market for those desperate for a job.

McCarthy - like Bruce, a good manager in his time, but his time has now gone and football management has moved on. I’d imagine we’d play the same way as now so probably with the same results. Nowt against him but not sure he’s the right fit.

Fowler & Ferguson - both novices and I’m not sure it’s a novice we need in this situation. Martinez speaks highly of Ferguson as a coach though managing is different than coaching. They are chalk & cheese characters, or appear so to me, so to be fair shows Ferguson has the ability to adapt and forge relationships. I’m sure he could motivate, but would he be god enough tactically?

Edwards - to be fair had a few coaching and managerial jobs. Can’t really judge him at Watford. Think he had forest green playing fast attacking football. Not sure we’ve the players for that style so would need to adapt. Probably more to lose reputation than the others, which isn’t necessarily a bad motivator.

Whoever gets the job I think we need to strengthen in January. I accept it’ll be loans and frees but don’t think the squad is good enough at present and we need some pace in it. Given contracts are running down we are more likely to sell the likes of Whatmough and Lang making any job more difficult - and a harder sell - and is perhaps why we are being linked with these names.

I imagine those names have been leaked by their agents rather than the club telling Sky the shortlist. So i imagine there will be other candidates in the frame.

Ferguson i have no idea about what type of manager he is to really comment. He is a former youth team coach so everyone immediately will think 'Warren Joyce repeat' but the flip side of that is some teams have appointed youth teams managers with great success Critchley at Blackpool, Wagner and Corberan at Huddersfield, Swansea with Steve Cooper (now at Forest). You never know how it can turn out it's a big gamble and it's one of those where if you get it right you will look a genius but if you get it wrong everyone will say it was a stupid risk to give the job to someone totally unproven as we all say about Joyce now.

Edwards - looking at his record i have serious reservations. He's another gamble.

Fowler - his managerial cv is very unusual as it's 3 clubs in different countries in what are not strong leagues. He wasn't at any of those 3 very long and his stats aren't impressive. He doesn't look right.

Mick McCarthy is an experienced operator at this level, he's had some success and failures at this level. For a short term appointment, he might stabalise the current position and get us competing again but i think he's a bit outdated and he's not likely to be someone to move you forward.

I've had a look around at potential candidates, trying to be realistic my preference in order

1. Warburton
2. Critchly
3. Schumacher
4. Monk
5. Hughton

Any of those 5 i'd be very pleased, 4 of them out of work and the 4 of them have all taken charge of relegation threatened teams at this level with limited budgets in the past and kept their teams up and built from there - so it's not uncharted territory for them.

Wouldn't be against that at all. Forget the fact that it would draw worldwide positive media coverage and probably hugely benefit the club financially through higher gates/shirt revenue, more televised games and potential TV series etc (see Welcome to Wrexham as an example), she's clearly a bloody good coach and her England team plays good football.

We've never been a hugely progressive club though in terms of left-field managerial appointments and I can't see the Talal/the board having the guts to make an appointment like that.
Fanciful to say the least

What is Bahrain's attitude to equal opportunities?

One issue we may find is the uncertainty about missed wages and potential sale of the club may put off some potential candidates.

Not much we can do about that but if someone like Critchly has 2 choices it may swing it away from us.
Why would this be?
He would always get paid
He would negotiate a war chest
If sold he leaves with his contract paid up and his reputation