What's the point? | Page 11 | Vital Football

What's the point?

The average league attendance for the 1982/83 season was 4,749. Highest were 11,832 v Huddersfield and 8,550 v Sheffield United.

We also had 13,899 for West Ham at home in the League Cup, but only 6,755 v Leicester.

Attendances fell away after the 6,033 for the 0-3 v Portsmouth and were in the two thousands for the last two home games.

It might be instructive to work out the average attendance prior to the Plymouth game - it would certainly be higher than the season average.
God that Pompey game still sickens me. And Newport. Biley, lowndes, Aldridge.

It was all about potential: what would crowds have been in the Second Division?

Crowds are higher now, but potential was higher then because the capacity was far higher (16,000 from memory in 1982). Had City been promoted, Second Division opponents in 1983-84 season would have included Chelsea, Sheffield Wednesday, Newcastle, Manchester City, Leeds, Portsmouth, Middlesbrough and Derby in addition to local derbies with Grimsby, Huddersfield and Barnsley.

Instead of a dozen five-figure crowds in 1983-84, City's average fell to 3,100. Three years after that they were in the Conference. What might have been...
There would have been some decent away followings but all of those clubs didn’t have anything like the crowds they have today.

The stacey west stand only had 300 away fans in on boxing day
The co op stand had at least 1000 empty seats
The Selenity had at least 3 or 400 empty seats.
How could it possibly be a crowd of 8300..

At best in my opinion a crowd of 7000 ish.

Which is still decent considering the covid situation.
Anyone sat in the Selenity on boxing day would have a similar view to me, I suspect
I'm afraid I don't see the point of this post on this topic.
And I also wonder how you came to those estimated figures.
And indeed if those figures are correct, based on ground capacity the crowd could have been around 8600

I'm afraid I don't see the point of this post on this topic.
And I also wonder how you came to those estimated figures.
And indeed if those figures are correct, based on ground capacity the crowd could have been around 8600

Based on those figures,1400 empty seats in SW,1000 in Co-op and 400 that would imply an attendance of 7200 roughly.

It was all about potential: what would crowds have been in the Second Division?

Crowds are higher now, but potential was higher then because the capacity was far higher (16,000 from memory in 1982). Had City been promoted, Second Division opponents in 1983-84 season would have included Chelsea, Sheffield Wednesday, Newcastle, Manchester City, Leeds, Portsmouth, Middlesbrough and Derby in addition to local derbies with Grimsby, Huddersfield and Barnsley.

Instead of a dozen five-figure crowds in 1983-84, City's average fell to 3,100. Three years after that they were in the Conference. What might have been...

Potential of big crowds and big money is what have put modern day Derby and Sheffield Wednesday in a world of trouble and debt.

Signings cost money and wages and every signing to a degree is a gamble. I suppose only the top men at the club know genuine budget and disposable income available, without putting the club at risk.

Based on those figures,1400 empty seats in SW,1000 in Co-op and 400 that would imply an attendance of 7200 roughly.
The attendance I believe includes ST's sold irrespective of whether they are used.

We would be 2 of the difference between physical attendance and published attendance.

Having paid for our seats and then paid to watch on ifollow (as covid prevented us attending) I really am not sure which figure has more merit.

As long as we have as many paying next season as this ( to attend or to not attend) most of us can live with either, I would have thought.

All clubs tell fibs when it comes to attendances.
Pay on the gate in the old days. You could pretty much make your own numbers up.

Everybody used to have a collective laugh when the crowd was announced back in the 70s and 80s particularly if it was a big crowd.
The wycombe game is the one that always gets mentioned
Probably 3000 more in the stadium than was actually recorded as the official attendance.

Anybody in the ground that day knows what I'm talking about

Pay on the gate in the old days. You could pretty much make your own numbers up.

Everybody used to have a collective laugh when the crowd was announced back in the 70s and 80s particularly if it was a big crowd.
Probably 3000 more in the stadium than was actually recorded as the official attendance.

Correct. Pretty crowded that game and the right result

Potential of big crowds and big money is what have put modern day Derby and Sheffield Wednesday in a world of trouble and debt.

Your point is taken, I would argue however, that since those days Wednesday have slipped into trouble because they failed to capitalize on the momentum of qualifying for Europe and failing to support Tricky Trev when he wanted invest in better players. (See above reference to Gilbert Blades.) He was then sacked with Wednesday in the top 10 when Chairman Richards came under pressure from fans that were disappointed they didn't continue their upward trajectory.

Signings cost money and wages and every signing to a degree is a gamble. I suppose only the top men at the club know genuine budget and disposable income available, without putting the club at risk.

Yes and no. I would suggest a more important factor is clear strategic goals and and a degree of certainty that the basic assumptions of support are correct. Only then can that decision to stick or twist without subjecting the club to unnecessary risk or missing a once in a lifetime opportunity to make a lasting change.

Our current structure and proposed strategy now demands that those in charge obtain that clarification. I believe that is why we are seeing the forthright engagement with fans at this time.

The model adopted by the Board is the ONLY ONE AVAILABLE TO US if we are to progress and/or not fall into perennial 4th/5th level strugglers.

NOW IS THE TIME TO RALLY BEHIND THE CLUB. COME ON CITY!!!!!

Last edited:

It would be a good time to reshow the TV comedy/drama "Eleven men against eleven" (it starred James Bolam). I seem to remember a scene where three? Tax Inspectors sat in the crowd and counted every attendee , then challenged the Chairman of the football club about the attendance he declared

An interesting post. Find myself a little conflicted with it I must admit.

Firstly, I’ve not posted much myself this season. Largely because much of what Clive says resonates with me. Personally do think there has been too much negativity in some quarters and feel some supports have been overly entitled. Not just on social media, at the ground it’s felt a little too gloomy at times and the Co-op has not been rocking as much as it was pre lockdown.

Feel a need to stress I am big believer in the model and think most supporters are. Personally find it frustrating when some fans question it. To me it is clearly best model for us to have long term and sustainable success. The intent is the right one. If I am bring incredibly cynical I think part of the frustration at the moment is that actually the model just wasn’t implemented all that well this summer in terms of signings.

But… Most are clearly still well behind the club. 8,328 in attendance on Boxing Day despite some no doubt having to be with family and COVID uncertainty. I think 100% supporters are right behind you Clive as chairman, 99% behind the model and 95% still well behind the team with just a fickle minority. What I do think everyone needs at the minute though is something to latch on to. The one thing I think we do really miss since Danny and Nicky is the ‘rallying call’, they were experts at creating a bond with the fans and getting the supporters behind the players. Should it be needed? No, not really. But sometimes people just need that call to arms, to be needed or told they are helping. I look at current situation with COVID. People fed up of government telling them what they can’t do and of the uncertainty. But go to a vaccine centre and the atmosphere is superb where people feel they are doing their bit and making a difference, the response to being asked to help has been brilliant. Truly behind Appleton, think he’s a cracking manager and hope he’s in charge for years to come and I get that this isn’t necessarily in his character. But we have a club run by the most astute and intelligent bunch I can remember in my time as a supporter, surely aware we’ve not had this since Danny and Nicky? It doesn’t have to be Appleton, do believe should play people to strengths, but surely someone else within the club could rally the fans? Gee up the 617 before kick off? Etc.? And I guess, could this have been approached a little more that way? Nothing wrong with saying that it is upsetting to hear some fans saying they don’t want to attend at the minute… But perhaps then it needs to be said ‘we need you now more than ever’? Again, shouldn’t need to be said, but might just help rally fans against Oxford Saturday. This said, agree it is a two way street, and maybe it needs to go the other way on this occasion and fans rally and get rocking Saturday to get things going right way. Hopefully this post from Clive and the interviews this week will see fans do that Saturday without need for a more blatant 'propaganda' type rallying call, perhaps I'm not giving us supports enough credit and labelling us a little simple!

To be fair, having now listened to the podcast I do think that was a bit more this way so this may all just be a moot point! The problem with reading stuff online!!

An interesting post. Find myself a little conflicted with it I must admit.

Firstly, I’ve not posted much myself this season. Largely because much of what Clive says resonates with me. Personally do think there has been too much negativity in some quarters and feel some supports have been overly entitled. Not just on social media, at the ground it’s felt a little too gloomy at times and the Co-op has not been rocking as much as it was pre lockdown.

Feel a need to stress I am big believer in the model and think most supporters are. Personally find it frustrating when some fans question it. To me it is clearly best model for us to have long term and sustainable success. The intent is the right one. If I am bring incredibly cynical I think part of the frustration at the moment is that actually the model just wasn’t implemented all that well this summer in terms of signings.

But… Most are clearly still well behind the club. 8,328 in attendance on Boxing Day despite some no doubt having to be with family and COVID uncertainty. I think 100% supporters are right behind you Clive as chairman, 99% behind the model and 95% still well behind the team with just a fickle minority. What I do think everyone needs at the minute though is something to latch on to. The one thing I think we do really miss since Danny and Nicky is the ‘rallying call’, they were experts at creating a bond with the fans and getting the supporters behind the players. Should it be needed? No, not really. But sometimes people just need that call to arms, to be needed or told they are helping. I look at current situation with COVID. People fed up of government telling them what they can’t do and of the uncertainty. But go to a vaccine centre and the atmosphere is superb where people feel they are doing their bit and making a difference, the response to being asked to help has been brilliant. Truly behind Appleton, think he’s a cracking manager and hope he’s in charge for years to come and I get that this isn’t necessarily in his character. But we have a club run by the most astute and intelligent bunch I can remember in my time as a supporter, surely aware we’ve not had this since Danny and Nicky? It doesn’t have to be Appleton, do believe should play people to strengths, but surely someone else within the club could rally the fans? Gee up the 617 before kick off? Etc.? And I guess, could this have been approached a little more that way? Nothing wrong with saying that it is upsetting to hear some fans saying they don’t want to attend at the minute… But perhaps then it needs to be said ‘we need you now more than ever’? Again, shouldn’t need to be said, but might just help rally fans against Oxford Saturday. This said, agree it is a two way street, and maybe it needs to go the other way on this occasion and fans rally and get rocking Saturday to get things going right way. Hopefully this post from Clive and the interviews this week will see fans do that Saturday without need for a more blatant 'propaganda' type rallying call, perhaps I'm not giving us supports enough credit and labelling us a little simple!

To be fair, having now listened to the podcast I do think that was a bit more this way so this may all just be a moot point! The problem with reading stuff online!!
Spot on with these points.
The crowd at Sincil Bank have to start believing again. This Saturday is a huge game against Oxford. Morecambe and their incredible comeback today has dumped us in the bottom 4.
A rallying call is a pretty good idea from where I'm looking.
I know it's probably not natural for MAPP to show raw passion.
It's not a bad thing to occasionally demonstrate a bit of raw passion from the touchline

Once more into the breach dear friends, once more.
Or close up the table with Oxford beat.
In defeat there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and no booing.
But when the threat of relegation blows in our ears
Then imitate the action of a fan
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood
Disguise disappointment with hardened backing.
Be a copy of the best support and teach them how to roar.
And you good men (and women)
Whose limbs were made in Lincoln, show us here the mettle of your ground,
Let us swear; you are worth your breeding; which I doubt not,
For there is none of you so mean and base, that hath not genuine belief in your eyes,
I see you stand like 617 in the Co-op,
straining from the start,
The games afoot,
follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry god for Lincoln, Appleton and a win.

... to paraphrase Clive, I think it was.

Hey I did Henry V at O level, You'll be quoting Kipling's If next " If you can keep your head when all around are losing theirs etc

Hey I did Henry V at O level, You'll be quoting Kipling's If next " If you can keep your head when all around are losing theirs etc

If you can keep your head when all around are losing their's ... you're probably the traitor that turned them in to their enemy.

Even though it was before Hillsborough, you could hardly announce a crowd 5,000 over capacity.