What's the matter with this board? | Page 3 | Vital Football

What's the matter with this board?

valenciagill - 8/2/2018 14:57

' I'd prefer less discussion of sex and gender, and more discussion of trolleybuses, steam locomotives, and the Second World War ...oh, and cars too, but that's just me. '

Jokerman , you forgot two-wheeled tractors.
I can't stand trolleybuses (are they the electric buses with the long rod?) - trams though :30:

I think the problem with playing well and winning is that most will agree on the main points. Ie X had a great game, what a goal from Y, Z was motm, and so on. So less actual posts are submitted.

When we lose or are playing poorly there are far more things to discuss. Starting 11, formations, key points in the game, referee, subs, so and so should?ve done better, injuries, suspensions, etc. Plus not everyone will have the same opinion as to why we lost.

As a keen cyclist I am interested in sports science and nutrition, but appreciate that some will think it?s all namby pamby old twaddle. A friend of mine at work said a few years ago now, ?Greavesy used to have a fag,burger and pint at half time and still score a hat trick, so why can?t aguero hit a cows arse at the moment?!?!? Made me laugh anyway.

As an aside, I really enjoy the non gills posts. And tbf they?ve been about as long as I?ve been reading/posting. That goes back to the rivals.net board.

Great analogy about the pub nobbs.

Of course, what we really need is a return of a certain someone to get us all on the same side again........ :2:

Buddha - 8/2/2018 18:32

Trev, if you're into trams you need to go to Porto and check theirs out.
Cheers, would love to go there. I went to Lisbon back in August :35:

The thing that gets me about sports science is it seems a cycle with every new manager. I love it when Average Joe likes to claim he knows why clubs like Arsenal get muscular injury crises, or why a Premiership star struggles to shake off injuries.

Well you'l see how important sports science is when Gills face 4 games in 10 days- then you'l see how frustration, fitness, yellow cards and injuries has on the squad. Eaves our top scorer is on the verge of facing a ban with one more card ? -
So Detritus - you don't think this is worthy of a mention or a discussion ? Will Gills cope with this intense period or will they crumble - ?

kettners - 8/2/2018 20:50

Well you'l see how important sports science is when Gills face 4 games in 10 days- then you'l see how frustration, fitness, yellow cards and injuries has on the squad. Eaves our top scorer is on the verge of facing a ban with one more card ? -
So Detritus - you don't think this is worthy of a mention or a discussion ? Will Gills cope with this intense period or will they crumble - ?
A bit like a month and a half ago :35:

Trolleybuses, rubber tyres and two poles to positive and negative wires since no tracks for earthing current. Often called tracklesses. Interesting fact, brake pedal and power pedal are usually reversed from the normal set up. Story goes that Maidstone acquired trolleybuses from Hastings when M&D shut that system down in 1959 which had conventional pedal arrangements. They discovered this after towing one to Maidstone and wiring it at Loose. Bloody thing wouldn't go.

We have an old Porto tram in Duluth. English Electric from Preston.

Re sports sciences, clearly very important but it always very difficult to demonstrate that a series of specific, but different, effects are attributable to a set of specific, but different, causes.

Ha! In the spring of 1945, when the Red Army was closing in on Danzig, the Germans used trolleybuses they'd liberated from the USSR as street barricades loading them up with rocks. It didn't work.

I will now shut up.

If you fancy the taste of Nobby's nuts, he'll be in the beer garden at the newly opened Brompton Arms.

jokerman - 8/2/2018 22:39

Ha! In the spring of 1945, when the Red Army was closing in on Danzig, the Germans used trolleybuses they'd liberated from the USSR as street barricades loading them up with rocks. It didn't work.

I will now shut up.

East Prussian Campaign !

I own an East German vehicle from before the fall of the Berlin Wall !

Wayne.Kerr - 8/2/2018 22:56

If you fancy the taste of Nobby's nuts, he'll be in the beer garden at the newly opened Brompton Arms.

Or the Queens legs :6:

BTW is this THE most random thread ever?

kettners - 8/2/2018 20:50

Sports Science isn't a new thing and Galen of Pergamon was writing about it in Ancient Greek times. Sports Science has always been a part of football but it is only in recent times that the term has been commonly used and people are training in the specific skills. Before then, clubs would hire several people who were knowledgeable in the various disciplines that make up "Sports Science".

You remember when packets of nuts were stuck to a piece of cardboard with a picture of Samantha Fox or Linda Lasagna on the back so that when you bought nuts an extra square would be revealed like a sexier version of Catchphrase?

And then they were banned. Political correctness gone made I tells you.

Nobby_66 - 9/2/2018 00:14

Wayne.Kerr - 8/2/2018 22:56

Or the Queens legs :6:

BTW is this THE most random thread ever?

You'll be in the newly opened Queen's legs? Be careful. I'm sure her royal bodyguards would object to you getting so close to her.

It is a fact that the Russians are interfering with the posts on this message board especially the voting.