What's the matter with this board? | Page 2 | Vital Football

What's the matter with this board?

I'll read the football related stuff, but tend to bypass sports nutrition.

I like dipping into other teams forums particularly those who we are about to play. Posh currently have 4 pages on what formation they'll use on Saturday. I'll look at them after a match if we win. Always good to read their incredulity at losing to a pub team.

Detritus - doesn't that mean waste of some kind ?

Do you have any points of interest to discuss regarding the team or are you one of the English professors who has f.. all to say but just critics every ones ideas and use of the language.

Nobby_66 - 8/2/2018 06:49

I tend to think of this board as our local. We all pop in at different times and days for a pint and a chat and just happen to have The Gills in common, let's face it, looking at some threads that's all we do have in common.
Just like a pub, the chat will stray to politics, the weather (Well, weather girls) what we're watching on telly and what we had/are planning to have for lunch.
Now and then one or more of us will have one too many and get out of our pram, we've got a few old gimmers who sit in the corner playing dominoes but shout their two pennies worth when they disagree with something and, at some point, I walk in and everyone turns their back to whispers of "shit , the old bill's here".
All we're really missing is a landlord to shout time gentlemen please (which, of course, would be sexist) and ask "ain't you got no homes to go to?" causing Buddha to complain about discrimination towards travellers at which point the thread is 100 posts long so we all go out to the car park for a fight. It all looks like handbags and at the end we all hug and tell each other that "I love you really mate" and we move onto a thread about nutrition and sports science.

That`s brilliant Nobby, top analogy. The issue now, surely, is what do we call our "local" ???????????

Over to you, nibbles, for a poll ?

kettners - 8/2/2018 10:02

Do you have any points of interest to discuss regarding the team or are you one of the English professors who has f.. all to say but just critics every ones ideas and use of the language.
It's a forum, so try not to get too worked up over it. This forum doesn't have too many new threads everyday, so the football ones don't get buried. If you don't like the non-Gills ones, or any you can't show your Sports Science wisdom in, then simply scroll along.

This forum prides itself on a broad outlook football-wise and political, and has built a community upon it going back even to the early 2000s as far as I can remember.

What it does show is that when there are fewer gills topics being discussed - its a good sign.

It means we have stopped the bedwetting and the gills are doing well in the bid ro stave off relegation and we are happy with the manager. At present we are happy to be moving to safety.

As for non gills posts. If you dont like it then 1) dont open the thread or better still 2) start your own gills threads. There will be plenty of gills threads if we lose a couple of games bringing the threat of relegation or win a couple and its can we get a playoff place.

Most of The people on this board have moved together from gills message board to gills message board over the years so even if we have disagreements most of us dont sulk and leave the gang. Bit like being a gills supporter really, lol.

Anyone remember the route we have taken -fansonline, gills connect, etc.

I tend to think of this board as our local. We all pop in at different times and days for a pint and a chat and just happen to have The Gills in common, let's face it, looking at some threads that's all we do have in common.
Just like a pub, the chat will stray to politics, the weather (Well, weather girls) what we're watching on telly and what we had/are planning to have for lunch.
Now and then one or more of us will have one too many and get out of our pram, we've got a few old gimmers who sit in the corner playing dominoes but shout their two pennies worth when they disagree with something and, at some point, I walk in and everyone turns their back to whispers of "shit , the old bill's here".
All we're really missing is a landlord to shout time gentlemen please (which, of course, would be sexist) and ask "ain't you got no homes to go to?" causing Buddha to complain about discrimination towards travellers at which point the thread is 100 posts long so we all go out to the car park for a fight. It all looks like handbags and at the end we all hug and tell each other that "I love you really mate" and we move onto a thread about nutrition and sports science.

Brilliant :1:

Very true Jerry Atrick about the lack of On-field posts being a sign of contentment, and we need to vent about other, off-field threads instead. Football's probably regarded like a rollercoaster ride: a great stress reliever. Shouting abuse at the referee, opposition, Wilkinson, Wayne Kerr :14:

Who remembers the insidetheweb days?! Everyone posting their entire post in the subject field.

I remember the only time this board ever had a meet-up - Christ it's got to be 2003-04? Met in Covent Garden and ending up in Lovegod's usual, the Stamford Arms in Waterloo.

:1: :1:

kettners - 8/2/2018 10:02

Yes it does. Well done. Hopefully you also got the joke, seeing as you missed the one about your post despite the winky wanky.

No, I don't currently have anything to discuss about the team. I'm quite content with the way things are progressing. There's not much that can be said about our last game that hasn't already been posted. I certainly have no desire to read or comment on a long post talking about supposed sports psychology and fitness regimes. So I ignore them and move to the next thread. I'd recommend you start doing the same about non-Gills threads.

Brilliant post, nobs! My round, what you having?

' I'd prefer less discussion of sex and gender, and more discussion of trolleybuses, steam locomotives, and the Second World War ...oh, and cars too, but that's just me. '

Jokerman , you forgot two-wheeled tractors.

Cracking post Nobby.

The name has to be the Queen's Head, and would also have to be the place we'd have to have a meet up, if only we could agree on where it actually is.