What's the matter with this board? | Vital Football

What's the matter with this board?

Razorpound

Vital Squad Member
It used to be vibrant! There was hardly a minute before somebody agreed or, put an alternative view.

Now on a Wednesday early evening we have gone an hour before I have opened up to complain.

Razorpound - 7/2/2018 19:53

It used to be vibrant! There was hardly a minute before somebody agreed or, put an alternative view.

Now on a Wednesday early evening we have gone an hour before I have opened up to complain.
I disagree :14:

To be honest Razor I for one can no longer be arsed. Personally I want to talk about Gillingham football club, its players, whats affecting our team. What our opposition are like. Could we play better what could we have done to win, improve etc. I don't want to hear about F...... tesco, equal rights etc That for me is for another section on this board other than football matters and I respect any ones views and you can talk about who what or whatever topic you wish but I would personally just like to hear about football on this site. What staggers me sometimes how few people understand basic scientific accepted principles in sport and how they affect our team. Not one person has ever asked how do these work or why they are important to our team.
I've written threads concerning the club and players from contacts I work with. To be frank few people appear interested.
Ive read most people views re the Wigan game and it has been generally accepted that we weren't on our game in the midfield ? we don't have the massive budget of Wigan etc
but why has no one asked - why were our midfield was off the pace ?what the hell were our central defenders doing for both goals ? why didn't we create more opportunities because I guarantee shrewsbury would have done and I bet their budget is not much different from ours. So why aren't people asking what the hell are someone like shrewsbury doing that is better than what we are doing why are the second? Does anyone on here really care or give a damn ?]Less than half actually ever hardly visit the stadium according to Nibbles survey. It seems there's general apathy on here ?? maybe Im wrong ??

I don't think there's apathy on here. Most people use this forum because they aren't near enough to go to games. All love our Gills.

Besides, I travelled more miles than any of you basteds last season watching Gills. So stick that in your pipe :5: :3:

I think the Wigan game was about not being good enough at this moment in time, our lads didn't play badly as such, Wigan were just so much better. We have selected a group of players that had a glimmer of promise/potential, SL has worked hard to improve them both as individuals and as a team, that work is ongoing and hopefully will bare fruit in the next year or two, in the meantime we have to be patient and except that change takes time.

Back on topic, what did you have for lunch.

kettners - 7/2/2018 20:47

Ive read most people views re the Wigan game and it has been generally accepted that we weren't on our game in the midfield ? we don't have the massive budget of Wigan etc
but why has no one asked - why were our midfield was off the pace ?what the hell were our central defenders doing for both goals ? why didn't we create more opportunities because I guarantee shrewsbury would have done and I bet their budget is not much different from ours. So why aren't people asking what the hell are someone like shrewsbury doing that is better than what we are doing why are the second?

If you want to cherry pick Shrewsbury, then yes. they did draw 0-0 at Wigan. I was impressed by how many shots they had at the DW and how many were on target:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42407035

As opposed to us:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42842123

Maybe their budget is similar to ours but I seem to remember Bury and Northampton splashing loads of cash out on players in the summer so the questions you raise would be louder elsewhere. I'll settle for the mere 33 points we took from the previous 17 games.

kettners - 7/2/2018 20:47

To be honest Razor I for one can no longer be arsed. Personally I want to talk about Gillingham football club, its players, whats affecting our team. What our opposition are like. Could we play better what could we have done to win, improve etc. I don't want to hear about F...... tesco, equal rights etc That for me is for another section on this board other than football matters and I respect any ones views and you can talk about who what or whatever topic you wish but I would personally just like to hear about football on this site. What staggers me sometimes how few people understand basic scientific accepted principles in sport and how they affect our team. Not one person has ever asked how do these work or why they are important to our team.
I've written threads concerning the club and players from contacts I work with. To be frank few people appear interested.
but why has no one asked - why were our midfield was off the pace ?what the hell were our central defenders doing for both goals ? why didn't we create more opportunities because I guarantee shrewsbury would have done and I bet their budget is not much different from ours. So why aren't people asking what the hell are someone like shrewsbury doing that is better than what we are doing why are the second? Does anyone on here really care or give a damn ?]Less than half actually ever hardly visit the stadium according to Nibbles survey. It seems there's general apathy on here ?? maybe Im wrong ??

Well the form guide says we?re better than Shrewsbury over the last 15 games so I can?t see any guarantees they?d have done any better than us.

If this board was just for football most of us wouldn?t bother and there?d be even less posts about football.

Most football forums are dying on their arse these days as Facebook and Twitter are more appealing to many.

What is there to say at the moment? Things are going well, we played 4 days ago, we have another game in 4 days.

Perhaps a debate about the cringeworthy scaly out flag seen at wigan?

From time to time someone complains there's not enough football on here and too much other stuff. The other complaint used to be there is a clique on here and no one else gets a look in.

This MB has run for years. Somehow, a very diverse and changing group of mainly white males has managed to keep it going talking about Gills and talking about everything and anything. Most people seem to like the mix and, as Nibbles suggests, some other sites are not doing too well (although there are some for clubs our size and smaller which do talk more football, especially on match day). I'd prefer less discussion of sex and gender, and more discussion of trolleybuses, steam locomotives, and the Second World War ...oh, and cars too, but that's just me.

As for your pitch about sports science and GFC's neglect thereof, all I can say is keep pitching. It's all part of the mix. As to how to respond, what do you expect people to say/do? You've got a theory. Sounds bonkers to me in the hard form in which you put it, but I know sweet f.a. about sports science and a fair bit about bogus precision when claims are made for applied science in other areas with which I'm more familiar like education and politics.

I'm just here to up my score. There's a vicious, mainly unseen, silent struggle going on for third and fourth place in the table. Nobby's using all his time on stake outs to answer polls. Even LSB is looking over his shoulder.

jokerman - 7/2/2018 22:50

I'm just here to up my score. There's a vicious, mainly unseen, silent struggle going on for third and fourth place in the table. Nobby's using all his time on stake outs to answer polls. Even LSB is looking over his shoulder.

What polls are they? I voted for Dack as Blackburn's man of the match at the weekend, and informed the Bradford poll that I wouldn't be getting a season ticket, and it did nothing for me!

nibbles - 7/2/2018 21:57

What is there to say at the moment? Things are going well, we played 4 days ago, we have another game in 4 days.

Exactly the point - "things are going well". I have noticed the reduced number of debates and discussions about the team in recent weeks and the fewer number of comments after a win, and was thinking of commenting on this myself.

Basically the number of comments seems to be in proportion to the degree to which the team struggles, because a lof of people don't bother to comment unless there is something to moan about!!

I tend to think of this board as our local. We all pop in at different times and days for a pint and a chat and just happen to have The Gills in common, let's face it, looking at some threads that's all we do have in common.
Just like a pub, the chat will stray to politics, the weather (Well, weather girls) what we're watching on telly and what we had/are planning to have for lunch.
Now and then one or more of us will have one too many and get out of our pram, we've got a few old gimmers who sit in the corner playing dominoes but shout their two pennies worth when they disagree with something and, at some point, I walk in and everyone turns their back to whispers of "shit , the old bill's here".
All we're really missing is a landlord to shout time gentlemen please (which, of course, would be sexist) and ask "ain't you got no homes to go to?" causing Buddha to complain about discrimination towards travellers at which point the thread is 100 posts long so we all go out to the car park for a fight. It all looks like handbags and at the end we all hug and tell each other that "I love you really mate" and we move onto a thread about nutrition and sports science.