What’s going on? | Page 72 | Vital Football

What’s going on?

Think that's right Zeb, think anyone who believes its some kind of plot by Barnsley is wrong, don't see that at all. As for the report, haven't yet had chance to read it all and try and make sense of everything in there. Noticed that Barnsley wanted us to pay for them to appear at our hearing...WTF, hope if we through this, that disgrace piece of behaviour by one club to another is NEVER forgotten

However, what comes across throughout that report is the EFL's vindictiveness. Shameful.

Yep...and while he was acting in what he saw as our best interests ...the lad who severely embarrassed Parry (and by extension the EFL) by filming Parry without his knowledge when he was speculating about the ‘relegation bet’ may in hindsight may have set him and the EFL on a course to ‘stick it to us’ ?

Given that Barnsley had already got what they so thoroughly did not deserve ...I’m genuinely appalled at their behaviour in trying to weasel money out of us ...and for the EFL to be ‘holding their jacket’ for them ...I literally caun’t speyk

the bet being a strong possibility are not unforeseen events? So clubs owners are regularly betting against their clubs?

As for Barnsley that is a total disgrace how a football club can behave like that towards another.

They didn't say the bet was a strong possibility. They said that it wouldn't be impossible but that there was no evidence for it

Agree 100% about Barnsley though

Not sure wot timeliness your on about KDZ re Kay trying to liquidate us...but the pasted piece below says to me it was before he had control of the club...or am I also confused...

Kay contacted the insolvency practitioners Begbies Traynor about putting Wigan into administration the day before he informed the EFL that he had become the sole shareholder in the club. A week later, they were duly declared insolvent.

He passed the fit and proper persons test to become minority shareholder on 49%, he was minority shareholder for about 2 or 3 weeks before Choi gave him the majority (seemingly for free). He asked about liqudating us as a minor shareholder, but to move from minority to majority you don't have to pass the fit and proper test again. Once he was in as a shareholder there were no further checks required - which seems completely wrong but is the way it is.

That refers to overturning the penalty. Challenging whether an insolvency event actually occurred or when the penalty should be applied are different arguments.

We had suffered an insolvency event though. Insolvency is the state of being unable to pay money owed, by a person or company, on time. As Au Yeung was not prepared to put in "another penny" we were insolvent coz we couldn't afford to pay bills or wages

Blackpool's was a completely different scenario as I see it

We had suffered an insolvency event though. Insolvency is the state of being unable to pay money owed, by a person or company, on time. As Au Yeung was not prepared to put in "another penny" we were insolvent coz we couldn't afford to pay bills or wages

Blackpool's was a completely different scenario as I see it

The players all signed contracts deferring the wage until the end of July. For some reason in this players aren't considered creditors. Upon the new agreed date for the wages, all players were paid in full for the 2019/20 season. Players have to complain to the PFA for punishment to be dished out. Lots of clubs paid players late this season or deferred wages. This meant whilst going through an insolvency process we did not actually suffer an insolvency event.

Gauthier Ganaye left Barnsley to be CEO at NICE (correction) but left after they were taken over last year.

In April he was looking at Charlton but since took up job in Belgium (correction).

Some interesting quotes from him when he was previously talking about Charlton:

"Everybody knows I really enjoyed my time at Barnsley. Any executive working in football should experience working in England because it's all different - it's the home of football.

You need to experience that. And if one day I have the opportunity to go back to the UK, that would be a pleasure for me to look at and consider. I loved my time there.

Yes I'm 31, but I'm very experienced for my age I would say. I've always worked in football. And with my experience at Lens, Barnsley and Nice, I know how to run a club sustainably.

I think this is the most important thing for fans because you can have owners coming and making promises and then disappearing. This is the worst thing that could happen to a football club. You need to run a club in a sustainable manner.

I think I bring something a bit more French, a bit more different. I was the only French guy to run a club in the UK, so I am a bit different.

We managed to create something at Barnsley a bit special. The dynamic was incredible the season we were in League One. The fans were feeling very close to the football club. I'm happy about that. We built a very strong team and we went on to a record season.

My ambition? I don't know if it's to become an owner but definitely continuing running a football club, the way I've been doing and if that means at some point going up the hierarchy a little bit, then why not? But I'm not obsessed by that. I really enjoyed my work at Barnsley and Nice and I hope I find a new exciting challenge to continue on that journey."

He sounds pretty good to me from that.

Last edited:
He's acting for someone else, un-named at the moment isn't he, not looking at a takeover himself?

Most likely although it is possible he is part of the consortium himself. If he is coming and checking it out it if they decide to do the deal he will come in as CEO / Chairman which i think from what little i've heard from him seems like a positive.

Self sustainability, having a trust worthy owner and L1 experience are the things he talked about and the things we need. Having expeirence of lower foreign leagues has also benefitted other clubs and seems like something he could bring.

Gauthier Ganaye left Barnsley to be CEO at Lyon but left Lyon after they were taken over last year. He has no current affiliation with Barnsley or their ownership but he is looking at getting back into football and was looking at Charlton in the past few months.

Some interesting quotes from him when he was previously talking about Charlton:

"Everybody knows I really enjoyed my time at Barnsley. Any executive working in football should experience working in England because it's all different - it's the home of football.

You need to experience that. And if one day I have the opportunity to go back to the UK, that would be a pleasure for me to look at and consider. I loved my time there.

Yes I'm 31, but I'm very experienced for my age I would say. I've always worked in football. And with my experience at Lens, Barnsley and Nice, I know how to run a club sustainably.

I think this is the most important thing for fans because you can have owners coming and making promises and then disappearing. This is the worst thing that could happen to a football club. You need to run a club in a sustainable manner.

I think I bring something a bit more French, a bit more different. I was the only French guy to run a club in the UK, so I am a bit different.

We managed to create something at Barnsley a bit special. The dynamic was incredible the season we were in League One. The fans were feeling very close to the football club. I'm happy about that. We built a very strong team and we went on to a record season.

My ambition? I don't know if it's to become an owner but definitely continuing running a football club, the way I've been doing and if that means at some point going up the hierarchy a little bit, then why not? But I'm not obsessed by that. I really enjoyed my work at Barnsley and Nice and I hope I find a new exciting challenge to continue on that journey."

He sounds pretty good to me from that.

It wasn’t Lyon, it was Nice (owned at the time by Barnsley’s owners). He’s now at a Belgian club (also owned by Barnsley’s owners). You do the Maths.

It wasn’t Lyon, it was Nice (owned at the time by Barnsley’s owners). He’s now at a Belgian club (also owned by Barnsley’s owners). You do the Maths.

You are correct, not sure where i got Lyon from. The interview i read was April where he said he wasn't involved in anything, but he took up a job since.

Barnsley ownership can't own share's in more than one English club. So he can't be looking on their behalf.

Nixon just confirmed that Lennigan also has an offer on the table. Think we all suspected that was going to be the case.

So at least now there is 1 cast iron bid in and maybe Ganaye about to join the race.

Assuming one of them follow through that is ok with me.

Nixon just confirmed that Lennigan also has an offer on the table. Think we all suspected that was going to be the case.

So at least now there is 1 cast iron bid in and maybe Ganaye about to join the race.

Assuming one of them follow through that is ok with me.

Looks like Lenagan is in legal trouble with HMRC over potential tax evasion. The last thing we need right now is to be tied up with someone battling the courts...

3CA7DBFA-FC4E-4AD7-AB8A-9971CE67F0D1.jpeg

And how did Lenegan find the funds to do so? I would say him as last resort but after seeing that issue with HMRC, no thanks. As for Gauthier, seems like someone who loves the job and is passionate about sustainability, and if he has backing of investors as he had with Barnsley then he is clearly the right person for Wigan.

Looks like Lenagan is in legal trouble with HMRC over potential tax evasion. The last thing we need right now is to be tied up with someone battling the courts...

View attachment 41451
Jesus, if that’s the case then no way will he pass the FAPP test. Does he have the connections within the EFL to find a loophole? Would the EFL wave him through with leeway knowing it could be him or bust?

Read the report, seems to me that we were never going to win an appeal based on Force Majeure, was obvious we could never use COVID as that's affected all clubs and despite the rights and wrongs of whatever Choi and Yeung did (wonder if Choi is the real villain and Yeung the fall guy), the IC couldn't apply Force Majeure as Yeung was an official of the club. EFL seem to get a bit of verbal kicking, they come out of it looking a bit of shambolic and neutral in the Macc/Stevenage debate, while seeming to be more supportive of Barnsley (even if it wasn;t to the extent Barnsley wanted (whatever that was). Them wanting a club in administration to pay for their representation at our hearing is a low in respect from one football club to another. Not a good look at all for them that.

Report does show that when (like a lot of clubs) you're dependent on an owner to make up a shortfall, once the money doesn't come in, the you're in trouble or even more dependent on the "buy em cheap, sell em high" model. Hopefully we'll survive and football will have a reset of finances, though suspect for the EFL, it wont be with any help from the PL which is awash with money