What’s going on? | Page 64 | Vital Football

What’s going on?

I'm just looking at a document now, and the "5 companies" aren't: WAFC, Euxton, C Park, Chippy & the Holding Co.

There are 6 of them, and they're

Wigan Athletic AFC Ltd and Wigan Football Co Ltd, together under Wigan Athletic Holdings Ltd. ...........which is under Wigan Sports Management Ltd ............... which in turn, along with Wigan Property Holdings Ltd is under the parent entity, Newworth Ventures Ltd.

I'll be completely honest, I'm not sure which is being sold! It's the first one (the AFC) which is in Admin, but I'd have thought that all the property was under the other Cos.

Maybe the 5 are all of them under Newworth, but with the exception of Newworth ......... which is just a shell.
This is something I can't get my head around. Is it the football side ie Wigan Athletic that is in administration or/and all the other separate companys.?
What a complicated mess.
Would it be possible for Wigan Athletic Football Club to be liquidated but Wigan Athletic to stay in existence as a stadium and land owner.
Fucking heads done in with all this shit!

This is something I can't get my head around. Is it the football side ie Wigan Athletic that is in administration or/and all the other separate companys.?
What a complicated mess.
Would it be possible for Wigan Athletic Football Club to be liquidated but Wigan Athletic to stay in existence as a stadium and land owner.
If that happened the EFL would take away our league share which would mean no more league football

What a complicated mess.

The 5 group companies are part of the administration process.
Any buyer would surely prefer to purchase everything. Not owning your own stadium is a problem (Coventry)
If things don't go so well they could be sold off individually

Last edited:
The document in question relating to these figures was dated 1st July, the date the administrators officially came in.

There are 111 creditors, the 10.7m in question I thought was paid off by Whelan as a part of the agreement of the sale, then since I have seen in mentioned as still being there by IEC which I clearly do not trust but was under the impression, this figure was part of the 25m loan?

Why do we owe the EFL 2m?
2.8m is listed to the HMRC (Enforcement and Insolvency Service) for some reason, very large figure.

Where did the 5.5m that WAFC apparently contributed to IEC come from, out of the clubs finances?

For a club that was handed over debt free and made losses combined of 16m since (I think Whelan covered part of that due to the sale being mid season), for us to owe 45m with 36m down to these owners looks suspicious.

If we did not have to pay back this dodgy unsecured loan and the 10.7m which is not an external creditor does not have to be paid and we have had 5m come into the club since July 1st, that leaves us with 4m left to pay in full, with 3.8m due to come into the club in transfer installments.

Anything that we now pay extra would clearly go to Choi.

The document in question relating to these figures was dated 1st July, the date the administrators officially came in.

There are 111 creditors, the 10.7m in question I thought was paid off by Whelan as a part of the agreement of the sale, then since I have seen in mentioned as still being there by IEC which I clearly do not trust but was under the impression, this figure was part of the 25m loan?

Why do we owe the EFL 2m?
2.8m is listed to the HMRC (Enforcement and Insolvency Service) for some reason, very large figure.

Where did the 5.5m that WAFC apparently contributed to IEC come from, out of the clubs finances?

For a club that was handed over debt free and made losses combined of 16m since (I think Whelan covered part of that due to the sale being mid season), for us to owe 45m with 36m down to these owners looks suspicious.

If we did not have to pay back this dodgy unsecured loan and the 10.7m which is not an external creditor does not have to be paid and we have had 5m come into the club since July 1st, that leaves us with 4m left to pay in full, with 3.8m due to come into the club in transfer installments.

Anything that we now pay extra would clearly go to Choi.
Give me a 15 point penalty and a transfer ban relegate us again if u like just dont pay that weasel one more penny.

The Stadium means a lot to the people of Wigan,
surely Wigan Council can help to buy the Stadium.

The KCOM Stadium is a multi-purpose facility in the city of
Kingston upon Hull.

The stadium hosts Two Tenants, association football club Hull City A.F.C.,
and rugby league football club Hull FC,

Owner‎: ‎Hull City Council,

The ground also hosts international association football and rugby league football competitions and acts as a venue for concerts by musical artists.

As well as serving as a sporting venue, the KCOM Stadium also hosts musical events, including such artists as Sir Elton John, Bryan Adams,
Neil Diamond,R.E.M.,Bon Jovi, and The Who.

JLS have also performed here in front of 20,000 fans as part of their
2010 JLS Tour.

Rod Stewart performed at the stadium on 14 June 2016 and Jeff Lynne's ELO played at the stadium on 1 July 2017.

Is this the reason IEC bought the Latics, to stage similar events,
but Covid prevented hosting such events?

Last edited:
The Stadium means a lot to the people of Wigan,
surely Wigan Council can help to buy the Stadium.

The KCOM Stadium is a multi-purpose facility in the city of
Kingston upon Hull.

The stadium hosts Two Tenants, association football club Hull City A.F.C.,
and rugby league football club Hull FC,

Owner‎: ‎Hull City Council,

The ground also hosts international association football and rugby league football competitions and acts as a venue for concerts by musical artists.

As well as serving as a sporting venue, the KCOM Stadium also hosts musical events, including such artists as Sir Elton John, Bryan Adams,
Neil Diamond,R.E.M.,Bon Jovi, and The Who.

JLS have also performed here in front of 20,000 fans as part of their
2010 JLS Tour.

Rod Stewart performed at the stadium on 14 June 2016 and Jeff Lynne's ELO played at the stadium on 1 July 2017.

Is this the reason IEC bought the Latics, to stage similar events,
but Covid prevented hosting such events?

Do you think the good peopleof wigan would pay top dollar for massive names like JLS and Rod Stewart. The verve did a turn at haigh hall and that was well atteneded and Beck Supported them, Beck and no one could give a shit.
Even Goose Green Labour club closed down and they had chicken in a basket 1pound pints and bingo, along with Frankie Barrow, not Graham but Frankie!

Last edited:
Do you think the good peopleof wian wuld pay top dollar for massive names like JLS and Rod Stewart. The verve did a turn at haigh hall and that was well atteneded and Beck Supported them, Beck and no one could give a shit.
Even Goose Green Labour club closed down and they had chicken in a basket 1pound pints and bingo, along with Frankie Barrow, not Graham but Frankie!
Big concerts held in Wigan are not primarily targeted for the people of Wigan only. Fans do travel from all over.
I'd say the stadium is in an ideal location : good transport connections, ample parking, hotels cheap (compared to London), near to Manchester, Liverpool etc.

Big concerts held in Wigan are not primarily targeted for the people of Wigan only. Fans do travel from all over.
I'd say the stadium is in an ideal location : good transport connections, ample parking, hotels cheap (compared to London), near to Manchester, Liverpool etc.
Or put them on in those cities like they are right now

Blackpool FC have staged concerts, we have to try something to bring in extra income as the attendance for matches is not bringing in enough income.

We have tried but ultimately there are lots of established concert venues in the north west so there isn't much of a gap in the market for us to get in on. If a band wants to play a large venue in this region they are spoiled for choice in 2 big cities without the need to look to smaller towns who have no track record of successfully running music events.

With Covid making it much harder to hold events it's even worse.

Not to mention the dual use of the pitch between football and rugby and the annual upkeep over the summer limits the dates we can open up the venue for concerts.

All that added up makes it a hard one to make work unfortunately. Although I'm sure whoever ends up with the stadium will keep trying.