What was the last film you watched | Page 511 | Vital Football

What was the last film you watched

Argo.

Based on true story of 6 Americans forced to hide in Iran after their embassy is taken over in the late 70’s.

Was ok. Not really sure it was Oscar worthy tbh.

"Belfast".
Mrs BBJ and I went to see "Belfast" yesterday afternoon with one of our sons, his wife and three of our grandchildren.
One of them said as we left the cinema, "I've never seen grandad cry before".
I was an emotional heap.
It’s 50 years ago this summer when we finally left Northern Ireland meaning that we lived through the early parts of the "troubles". Like the parents in the film we ended up feeling we had to leave for the sake of our children; two little girls at that time.
Did we want to leave?
No, we didn't. But we've made what I think are good lives for ourselves and our children who between them now have their own families. I count my blessings and can have no regrets.
However, Kenneth Branagh himself has repeated the old cliché, "you can take the man out of Belfast but you can't take Belfast out of the man". I once again experienced that truth with almost unbearable intensity at a cinema in the Dublin suburbs yesterday.

Watched that tonight, lovely film, but it must have hit hard for you BBJ and many others who had to leave as things were kicking off.

John Wick - I've changed my mind about Ukraine. All Russians are evil and it was probably Putin who put them up to killing the dog. Bastards.

Seriously though, one of the best gunfu films ever. 8/10

Watched that tonight, lovely film, but it must have hit hard for you BBJ and many others who had to leave as things were kicking off.

Thanks, SJH. Our Danish-based daughter (one of the two little girls who left Northern Ireland with us back in the day) was home for a short break a week or so back so we took her to see it. I thought that having already seen it I'd be more prepared not to start sniffling; a vain hope as it turned out!

Spider-Man: No Way Home, the kids really enjoyed this it was a half decent 3 for one Spiderman movie.

I did manage to wake myself up during the slow start partly due to a snore and partly due to feeling the need to defend my popcorn from the grandkids.

Richard Jewel - it stars Sam Rockwell and Jon Hamm and was directed by Clint Eastwood so I figured I'd watch it. I should say I had to watch it over 3 installments and that never helps but I really didn't enjoy this one. The plot just isn't tight enough. It's like something you'd find on TV at 3pm.

4/10

Scream. The new one.

It's OK. Just a bit of a reboot of the original with a lot of the original cast brought back, similar to ghostbusters afterlife.

Aftermath - after WW2 a British army fella and his wife are stationed in Hamburg. It's slow and meandering but doesn't ever go anywhere. The setting is good but there isn't much of a story to tell.

2/10

Once upon a time in America.

In 3 sessions as it’s nearly 4 hours long and there is no way I’m staying awake in the evening for that long.

Thought it looked dated and not up there with it’s contemporaries such as The Godfather and Goodfellas.

Once upon a time in America.

In 3 sessions as it’s nearly 4 hours long and there is no way I’m staying awake in the evening for that long.

Thought it looked dated and not up there with it’s contemporaries such as The Godfather and Goodfellas.
It's very difficult to watch a film in 3 sessions and keep up with it properly.

I see there's a new Batman film, the Nolan trilogy wasn't that long ago, has anyone seen this yet? Hollywood is so bereft of ideas bloody hell.

I see there's a new Batman film, the Nolan trilogy wasn't that long ago, has anyone seen this yet? Hollywood is so bereft of ideas bloody hell.

It does look quite good from what I've seen, but I don't see the need for it to be rebooted so soon after the Nolan films.

I remember reading a while back that Hollywood was losing so much money that these days everything they do is a safe bet. They know Marvel films and reboots and sequels will guarantee the money, so they're churning it out relentlessly. Sad state of affairs.

It does look quite good from what I've seen, but I don't see the need for it to be rebooted so soon after the Nolan films.

I remember reading a while back that Hollywood was losing so much money that these days everything they do is a safe bet. They know Marvel films and reboots and sequels will guarantee the money, so they're churning it out relentlessly. Sad state of affairs.

What are they losing money on, streaming?

I watched the first half of the Goonies with my kids tonight. We'll watch the second half tomorrow.

It's so chaotic, they all talk over each other all the time and the script doesn't make any sense but it's fun.

What are they losing money on, streaming?

Yeah, I think that and illegal downloading and all that stuff.

Hence you get movies like Independence Day Resurgence, which despite being one of the biggest piles of shite I've ever seen, still made almost $400m because it will put bums on seats no matter how bad it is. They couldn't care less about making a good film.