What was the last film you watched | Page 499 | Vital Football

What was the last film you watched

Last night I watched Many Saints of Newark.

I loved it! Caveat being I do not think this movie will really get over with people who have not watched The Sopranos. In fact I think it takes an encyclopaedic knowledge of the show to get the most out of it - something I have since I've watched it all end to end a good 10+ times.

Without giving too much away I thought Ray Liotta as Hollywood Dickie Moltisanti and his brother was amazing. Vera Farmiga (brilliant actress IMO) absolutely nailed Livia Soprano, brilliant performance and Alessandro Nivola did a very fine job portraying Dickie Moltisanti who never appeared in the actual series.

We also got an answer to "who killed Dickie Moltisanti" which completely made sense.

I also thought Willie Overall was played brilliantly by Leslie Odom and sets up what will probably be a sequel (since he wasn't killed and we know he was Tony Soprano's first 'hit' based on the show).

Just watched it tonight, brilliant.

Like you said, hard to see what anyone would get out of it having not seen the series, so many references and names from the series thrown in who don't actually appear in the movie, but maybe it works as a stand alone film too, I can't tell, I'll have to go and watch Kermode's full review as that is how he was seeing it.

From the post credits scene I took it as there being a sequel and having looked it up it seems like that's what David Chase wants to do, Tony in his 20's. I hope they make a whole trilogy or more, I love The Sopranos "universe".

Just watched it tonight, brilliant.

Like you said, hard to see what anyone would get out of it having not seen the series, so many references and names from the series thrown in who don't actually appear in the movie, but maybe it works as a stand alone film too, I can't tell, I'll have to go and watch Kermode's full review as that is how he was seeing it.

From the post credits scene I took it as there being a sequel and having looked it up it seems like that's what David Chase wants to do, Tony in his 20's. I hope they make a whole trilogy or more, I love The Sopranos "universe".
Yes in a sequel they could cover Tony wacking Willie Overall and him and Jackie robbing Feech La Manna's card game and then being on the fast track to becoming made guys.

Edge Of The World. True story of Sir James Brooke. Jonathan Rhys Meyers. Very good film.

Side Effects. A 2012 film with Jude Law and Channing Tatum. I'd say it was ok! 6.22/12.00007

Divergent. A dystopian future kind of thing. 2 more instalments to watch. Not earth shattering but certainly found it watchable.

Tesla starring Ethan Hawke & Eve Hewson.

Good historic biographical about visionary inventor Nikola Tesla who fights an uphill battle to bring his revolutionary electrical system to fruition, then faces thornier challenges with his new system for worldwide wireless energy.

Educational... 7/10

Flashback. Meh.

Judas And The Black Messiah. Oscar winning biographical drama about the betrayal of Fred Hampton, chairman of the Black Panther Party.

Tough subject, obviously, but very well done.

Fear Street 1978. A teen slasher / witch curse kind of thing, seen the first one, so thought I'd watch the others. Doesn't add anything to the genre really, but decent enough background noise type of film.

Many Saints of Newark. As above, Ray Liotta was excellent. Really good film, not as good as the series, but nothing ever would be. I thought it drifted at one point, then got going again!