What do i not see? | Page 2 | Vital Football

What do i not see?

Derby 2-0
Charlton 0-0
Ipswich 1-0
Sheff Weds 1-1

All the above within the last month or so, who’d have thought that a few years ago (or decades come to think of it?) Not in my lifetime, or anyone else’s I suspect?

Salad days.

How things change... it was just a few weeks ago you were insistent not a single current player could get into Cowleys national league side.

I pretty much like all that is happening at Sincil Bank. In all my 35 years of attending this is the highest level we've played at. Great crowds. Good atmosphere. Decent football. A manager and team I can get behind. More than holding our own with some big clubs.
Yes, the odd duff game or player mistake. But this makes a season. Anyone booing at present or thinking we don't have talent is deluded. We maybe don't have depth in the squad. But we have a team with the right attitude and a manager who cares.
I want to see our academy develop our own players and see the odd few make the first team. Good investment in my eyes. More than preferable to a constant stream of u23 prem loan players who are either not up to it or we develop and they quickly move on.
I would like to see more of a return to a loan system based on need and would cap it.

Playing football is so easy from the stands. TJ played the percentage pass in that instance yesterday. Great if he managed to hook it forward and we get a chance, but he could easily have shinned it leaving the Wednesday attacker who was breathing down his neck with a free run on our goal. I always remember being told to play the way you are facing. Not an issue for me
I bet like me you were also told dont play the ball across your own box.

Hi Caspar - two things (in my opinion). A lot of these fans were sat at home supporting Premier League teams up until 2017, so expectations are that they go to be ‘entertained’ regardless of opposition/level. Also, typical small-minded Lincoln attitudes see the negative in everything. Booing Eyoma yesterday was particularly depressing.

Anyway, leave with a positive or I sound slightly hypocritical - I agree with you, I’m excited to see how Kennedy and this young team develop over the season.
Small minded Lincoln attitudes?Care to explain that comment please.I'm genuinely offended

I had no expectations of this season before a ball was kicked.
For me it felt like the club was giving itself a re boot.
New manager coming in, lots of players leaving and new players arriving. So I had no idea what to expect from the team.
I have to say I am extremely pleased with our league position so far and we are showing the big boys we are not to be taken lightly.
I'd whisper it quietly but I think we could yet again be the surprise package in this league and push for a play off position.
Mark Kennedy and the team are doing a pretty good job in my book.
Let's hope it continues

Derby 2-0
Charlton 0-0
Ipswich 1-0
Sheff Weds 1-1
All the above within the last month or so, who’d have thought that a few years ago (or decades come to think of it?) Not in my lifetime, or anyone else’s I suspect?

I always remember a sequence of games against 'big' clubs in the 1983/84 season, and having checked the Nannestads' book it was October/November 1983:

Burnley 3-1
Tottenham Hotspur 2-1
Preston 2-1
Bolton 0-0

Very good point Norfolk and that’s a set of results beyond our wildest dreams only a few years ago.

Here are 4 results from Sept/Oct 2015 so anyone can compare and contrast

Barrow 1 Imps 0
Imps 1 Altrincham 1
Welling 2 Imps 1
Imps 0 Bromley 1

then of course Whyteleafe 5 Imps 3 soon after

I was over from Australia in October 2015 and went to the Bromley game. We flew back after the match so caught the train to London in Imps gear with a few Bromley supporters for company.
Luckily the next game I saw live was City beating Macc to clinch the National League 😉
Remarkable how far we’ve come since, as mentioned by many credit to everyone associated with our rise 👏

The rise of the imps in a relatively short space of time has been fantastic for the fans and of course the club and city.
This period we are in currently suggests we have reached a level we can cope with. None of us know how much extra it would cost to make a real push for play off/ promotion place
What is clear, is the strategy to bring in cheap players and make them better and more desirable to other clubs is working.
Is it only a matter of time before we sell a player for big money ( let's say a million).
If that is the case, then it could be argued we are just a selling club with no true ambition. But I don't subscribe to that theory.
It takes clever people to spot potential further down the football period and make them good enough to be wanted by bigger and more affluent clubs than ourselves.
The current one to fall into that category is Ben House.
Don't be surprised if some clubs are weighing up putting a bid in by January.

I think Lincoln city have got things going along quite nicely at the moment, and the shadow of the Cowley area has now passed through.

Most fans should get on board with where we are now and not pine for something that left a good few years ago.
There are many clubs who would love to be in our position.
I can think of a couple just 35 and 45 miles away

On the way home from the game on Saturday Radio Lincs were commentating on Boston Utd v Curzon Ashton in National North league, that’s the league that i amongst many thought we were heading pre Clive and The Cowley. Total attendace was around 1600 and the away following was anounced as FIVE!
We had just hosted Sheffield Wednesday with a 10k crowd and over 2k away fans. That served as a good reminder of where we could be and where we are.

I always remember a sequence of games against 'big' clubs in the 1983/84 season, and having checked the Nannestads' book it was October/November 1983:

Burnley 3-1
Tottenham Hotspur 2-1
Preston 2-1
Bolton 0-0

Yes Malcolm, I remember and was at all those games too …. what sticks out was that I couldn’t understand why the gate v Bolton was only a 3rd* of what it was against Spurs, especially as we’d played so well too?

* I say a 3rd, there was over 17k inside SB that night, not the reported 12,238.

I have been watching Lincoln City home and away for the best part of 40 years. I am not a football expert or claim to be knowledgeable about tactics or players attributes i just go to enjoy it and support my hometown club. However I know what I watch and I know how I feel about the team.

For me we have a young and potentially exciting team with bags of potential and some of our own home produced talent starting to show real promise in numbers I have never seen in my lifetime. The football standard and athletic of the players is some of the consistently highest I have seen having mostly watched us perform at League 2 or National League level. We are getting points from clubs with large fan bases and storied history. As a club we are unrecognisable from the Lincoln City I have watched for most of my supporting years.

However I have a friend and I know he is not alone who seems to want to constantly play down or see the negative. In reaction to yesterday and our 3 points away at Ipswich his reaction was that we were awful in the first half ( to which I agree) but getting points of our last 2 opponents shows how poor quality this League is. He also thinks the youth team is a waste of time and money that should be put into the first team and we should be getting young PL cast offs.

I know football is about opinions but I like to see the positives and appreciate where we are right now not constantly look for down playing or seeing the negative in everything.

It's his choice but for me we have a lot to be appreciative of and enjoy right now and under MK we really seem to be moving in the right direction. I just don't see we are a poor quality squad in a poor League in fact I see completely the opposite.
I'm assuming that you pointed out to him that Eyoma and Sanders are both PL team cast-offs, Poole was at Man Utd, Sorenson was at Stoke when they were in the PL?!

Burnley 3-1
Tottenham Hotspur 2-1
Preston 2-1
Bolton 0-0

Was at all of those (my only visit to PNE), unfortunately it was downhill from there.

Very good point Norfolk and that’s a set of results beyond our wildest dreams only a few years ago.

Here are 4 results from Sept/Oct 2015 so anyone can compare and contrast

Barrow 1 Imps 0
Imps 1 Altrincham 1
Welling 2 Imps 1
Imps 0 Bromley 1

then of course Whyteleafe 5 Imps 3 soon after

Was at all of those, but can’t remember anything about the Home games.

The Academy conversation is always an interesting one because people seem to assume that all costs saved from there would go into the first team, but do we actually know how much it costs the Club, and how much of the costs are covered by grants? I don't think it's a cut and dried as some think.

It also seems forgotten by some that it was only the summer of 2017 that we started receiving funding again and it takes a while for new recruits to go through the relevant age groups. Might be wrong, but I've got it in my head that Makama and Draper are two who were released from other, higher division, academies (I think it's a big plus if we can start offering released 13-16 year olds a second chance if they've left a Sheffield United, Wednesday, Forest, Derby, Leicester etc academy).

Derby 2-0
Charlton 0-0
Ipswich 1-0
Sheff Weds 1-1

Salad days.
More encouragingly, that list shows a consistency against the top sides rather than the one-off performances/results we've had against them in previous seasons (unless it looks and feels like that because they've come in quick succession?). The Posh game looks an anomaly so far this season rather than the norm so it'll be interesting to see that list of results after the Barnsley and Plymouth games that are coming up.

Football has always been about teams rising and falling up and down the leagues.
I think it was Northampton who several years ago had a much publicised rise up the leagues followed by a rapid fall.
But due to the finance now involved in football it is far easier to fall down the ladder than climb back up.
There is no such thing as a level playing field for example Bannan is rumoured to be on 27k a week which we could never compete with. So to maintain our status as a league one club is a superb effort.This is due to the fantastic Board we have and the way they run the club.
I too can remember sitting in a soulless sincil bank watching hopeless football
against teams I had never heard off. With very little atmosphere and no hope and fearing the club was heading for oblivion.
Perhaps the next time I moan, and I do, I should take a minute to think back to those terrible times!

Football has always been about teams rising and falling up and down the leagues.
I think it was Northampton who several years ago had a much publicised rise up the leagues followed by a rapid fall.
But due to the finance now involved in football it is far easier to fall down the ladder than climb back up.
There is no such thing as a level playing field for example Bannan is rumoured to be on 27k a week which we could never compete with. So to maintain our status as a league one club is a superb effort.This is due to the fantastic Board we have and the way they run the club.
I too can remember sitting in a soulless sincil bank watching hopeless football
against teams I had never heard off. With very little atmosphere and no hope and fearing the club was heading for oblivion.
Perhaps the next time I moan, and I do, I should take a minute to think back to those terrible times!
That Northampton run of several years ago, was actually more than sixty, Tony! From the fourth division in1960-61 to the first division and back to the fourth again by 1968-69, I can't imagine that ever happening again.