What do i not see? | Page 3 | Vital Football

What do i not see?

That Northampton run of several years ago, was actually more than sixty, Tony! From the fourth division in1960-61 to the first division and back to the fourth again by 1968-69, I can't imagine that ever happening again.
Swansea did it too - promoted from Division Four in 1978, promoted to the First Division in 1981, relegated back to Division Four in 1986.

Mk or Jez George aren't the ones we should be worried about keeping. Managers, staff and players come and go at regular intervals for a variety of reasons.

What we have to hope is that we can keep Clive and the rest of the board of Directors and all the other investors, they are the ones that are the constant and the ones who are putting the graft in behind the scene's to ensure that this club can stay in this league and hopefully eventually compete to one day take us to the next level.

That has to be our ambition and you need ambition and purpose because if we can achieve more success that is what will attract more investment to the club.

We're not in League 1 by accident we're there because we deserve to be and because of the boards appointments and decisions right throughout the club over the past 5 or 6 seasons.

We have too many people on here who believe we are a 4th Division team just punching above our weight and it won't be long until we return to our natural habitat but I think you have to live in the moment and do your best to push on and be the best you possibly can.

Yes I accept that there are some clubs with massive budgets in this league but it's not just all about money, as we have already proved by sitting at the top of this league for a fair few weeks and reaching the play off final only a couple of seasons ago.

Yes the stars would probably need to align but it can be done. Every manager/head coach we appoint wants to do it because that will benifit them as well as us because that's just the way success works and everyone wants to be successful.....don't they?

Fine if you want to come to a third full stadium, sit where you like, clap a bit, finish three quarters of the way down league 2 and get knocked out the FA Cup 1st round by some non discript non league club then go back to the pub as if nothing has happened but I, as I'm sure some others would hope, not expect, that we can do a bit better than that.

Might be wrong, but I've got it in my head that Makama and Draper are two who were released from other, higher division, academies (I think it's a big plus if we can start offering released 13-16 year olds a second chance if they've left a Sheffield United, Wednesday, Forest, Derby, Leicester etc academy).
They cast the net wide now - of the current U18 squad, Sam Green and Kyrell Wheatley came from Chesterfield, Darryl Powell and Tayo Tucker from Forest, Nathan Kabeya from Wolves, and Osei Boffah from Luton. Of our academy graduates in the first team squad, Sam Long was on the books at Crystal Palace, Morgan Worsfold-Gregg at Arsenal with Brooke Norton-Cuffy, Elicha Ahui was at Forest, and Freddie Draper and Jovon Makama were both at Derby.

That Northampton run of several years ago, was actually more than sixty, Tony! From the fourth division in1960-61 to the first division and back to the fourth again by 1968-69, I can't imagine that ever happening again.
I remember Bristol City going from Div 1 in 1980 to Div 4 in 1983 with successive relegations under the aptly named Ally Dick.

I remember Bristol City going from Div 1 in 1980 to Div 4 in 1983 with successive relegations under the aptly named Ally Dick.

Alan Dicks to be precise (what was the chant when supporters wanted him gone??).

To be fair, he had got them into Division One in the first place where they spent three seasons. After they had been relegated back to Division Two, he was replaced fairly early on by Bobby Houghton who, aided by his assistant Roy Hodgson, saw them down to Division Three. The same pair then set them on their way down to Division Four with Hodgson having a spell as caretaker manager before another caretaker, Gerry Sharpe oversaw the last few games of the season. Mark Cooper's dad was then appointed manager and two years later they were on their way back up.

I often have this conversation with a mate who's a Grimsby fan - he often asks, not unreasonably, if it's the 'new' i.e. post 2017 fans, who are the ones who moan - based on the faces who I encounter or recognise as being the chief moaners, it's definitely mostly the older fans...

Usual pearls of wisdom include still having Matt Rhead as a better option than our current players, and imploring we should always get the ball up long, even if our forwards are much smaller than their opposing defenders...

I often have this conversation with a mate who's a Grimsby fan - he often asks, not unreasonably, if it's the 'new' i.e. post 2017 fans, who are the ones who moan - based on the faces who I encounter or recognise as being the chief moaners, it's definitely mostly the older fans...

Usual pearls of wisdom include still having Matt Rhead as a better option than our current players, and imploring we should always get the ball up long, even if our forwards are much smaller than their opposing defenders...
When you've been fed a certain type of food for many years its difficult to adapt to a new taste.
Some people will on eat fish and chips on a Saturday.
I prefer a variation of different styles.