Well done Paul Cook. | Page 2 | Vital Football

Well done Paul Cook.

Same old excuses more like, i knew it wouldnt take long.

No excuses there No 23 .......... just stating facts ..........and not emptying my cot of toys. We've had a bad run. if it continues, then like tl4e says, that will be the tie to start bleating. however, if it doesn't, and we turn it round, then I suppose we won't hear from you again, :rolleyes:

Oh, & Cheers Ste .......... but you do seem to jump on the negativity very quickly.

Stats talk for themselves and at the moment we have one of the poorest attacks in the league. One of the worst defences. Only one side have lost more. We have lost seven away on the trot. Doesn't look great at the moment.

Its amazing how quickly some on here want to right the season off. We are not half way through the season yet, lets at least play all the opposition once before we start whinging. We have just had a run of games against the top end sides and after the break we will get a run of games against teams below us. Hopefully we get a couple of players back from injury and our luck changes. We have lost the last two games because of individual mistakes from young players still adjusting to the standard of the league and if we can cut out the mistakes we can still have a decent season.

A single win could put us back in the top half of the table and two wins see us with 26 points and established mid table. With games against Bolton and Reading coming up there is every possibility of us achieving this and a decent home performance against Blackburn could conceivably see us level with them. We then have Ipswich and Birmingham to follow and both of them are equally winnable, whilst given our home form a result against Derby is not impossible. All in all without being over optimistic we could accumulate 14 points from the remaining games in the first half of the season leaving us on 34 which would not be a bad haul for a newly promoted side. Given that the most of us would have taken a mid table finish before the season started I think we are still on target to achieve that.

To be fair to Cook at least he hasn't come out with the bull shit he did after last weeks defeat. Rightly lamenting the individual errors.

Thats the point, its the errors made by the same individuals week in week out that are doing the damage.

I like Cook and would happily keep him no matter what as we won’t get anyone better unless Brucey fancies a hat trick. But if we lose against Blackburn and Horwich, then I reckon he’ll be gone by the new year. The new owners will not allow us to sleepwalk our way to relegation under any circumstances!

I like Cook and would happily keep him no matter what as we won’t get anyone better unless Brucey fancies a hat trick. But if we lose against Blackburn and Horwich, then I reckon he’ll be gone by the new year. The new owners will not allow us to sleepwalk our way to relegation under any circumstances!

To be fair I've also got that fear which I alluded to the other week. Hopefully we'll see an improvement in form before Royle gets an itchy trigger finger.

Thats the point, its the errors made by the same individuals week in week out that are doing the damage.

Week in week out? Walton has kept us in the game on a number of occasions this season and Kipre is in his first season at this level and still learning. Earlier in the season we were singing the praises of the back four but injuries and a drop in form have caused us to have to reshuffle and start over again. Mistakes happen and hopefully the player learns from them and improves his game. As I said earlier lets get the first half of the season over before we start to get despondent.

........ But if we lose against Blackburn and Horwich, then I reckon he’ll be gone by the new year. .....

And if that were to happen, then maybe that would be an understandable reaction (though still not one I'd champion).

Alternatively, if we win those games, and a few others, getting up into the play offs, then we might lose Cook to another team.

Pointless comment, but no more so than considering that we're on the road to relegation.

No need to panic just yet or talk about sacking Cook yet. But I certainly understand and share the concern.

Regardless of how many injuries or quality of the opposition we've let ourselves down in terms of performance and we have to put that right immediately. We've got a more winnable run of games to do that. Cook and the players have already shown there is nothing to fear in this league if you go at teams then seemed to forget that and turn into Joyce part 2.

All I want to see is us having a good go at teams, if we lose we go down swinging. If we get back to that then I'm sure we'll get back on track. If we keep playing negative long ball we are in big trouble.

It's a results business but it's the performances that tell the real story. If you play well every week results will turn in your favour. We aren't doing that right now and need to fix it.

Our best players are injured, so what the hell is the manager supposed to do? Real fans support and encourage. Plastic fans moan and whinge.
It's more of a case of what Paul should have done really isn't it really and that was to have had players equal or better than last season to cover for injuries. He didn't do that and that wasn't totally all down to him with the club being in limbo throughout the closed season with the elongated takeover.
Please do not have a go at fellow fans with insults like 'plastic'. Come on where we're all the super loyal fans last season against Accy Stanley.

Our best players are injured, so what the hell is the manager supposed to do? Real fans support and encourage. Plastic fans moan and whinge.
It's more of a case of what Paul should have done isn't it really and that was to have had players equal or better than last season to cover for injuries. He didn't do that and that wasn't totally all down to him with the club being in limbo throughout the closed season with the elongated takeover.
Please do not have a go at fellow fans with insults like 'plastic'. Come on where we're all the super loyal fans last season against Accy Stanley

You can paper over the cracks has much has you want but it wont hide the fact cook is out of his depth at this level plus most of the players are not upto this level
New owners and new board will sort it soon before its too late

You can paper over the cracks has much has you want but it wont hide the fact cook is out of his depth at this level plus most of the players are not upto this level
New owners and new board will sort it soon before its too late

I'm not sure we can say Cook is out of his depth yet. If we judged him only on the current run then it would be hard to argue, but prior to that he was doing very well and seemed to be adapting well. Remember if we hadn't been cursed with some bad luck and shocking refs we could've been challenging for the automatics prior to this disastrous run put us in free fall.

I think we've seen the good, the bad and the ugly from Cook - with the good all larglely coming early and the bad all coming most recently. Its difficult to know exactly how much momentum, injuries, fixtures etc have made Cook look better or worse than he is. So I think the next batch of fixtures will give us a clearer idea.

I had high hopes for Cook. He initially exceeded my expectations but more recently has made me very concerned.

Last edited:
Yes people are entitled to their opinions, but when so called fans start a thread with such a sarcastic (I hope !) message, then they should be ashamed of themselves.
Time to give our support to the club and manger at at time when things are going against us in all sorts of ways. Not blind support but we certainly should not be saying things like this done just for attention seeking (again I hope)

To put everything into perspective, and I forget who made the comment yesterday, how would Liverpool fare against Man City or Chelsea without Mane, Salah and Firmino up front and with Van Dijk missing from the back along with their midfield being depleted. Not well I would suggest. Then look at the players we have missing, no wonder Cook is struggling.