Weight Training Thread | Page 73 | Vital Football

Weight Training Thread

Pissedoff.com wanted to recommence weights but every joint in my wonderful body has flared up. My back is in agony and when I move my arms the pain is terrible. Stick to swimming I suppose

Yep it is mate. I've got an extremely high pain fresh hold but I've been close to tears with the pain last few days. Still at least my looks have kept lol

You feeling able to do much? ( obviously I know as we're text buddies but for the others lol)

Yeah. One body part a day, can't beast myself into shape as I would if fit. Got the knowledge but not the body to use it! Lol

Time and patience gentlemen, some of us may pay more, but that just makes the results all the sweeter : )

Gazgecko - 21/4/2013 09:47

the nature of cross-fit can cause people to push themselves a little too hard and injuries are common.

Seems very common, I know many who do these classes, I have yet to know any who have not been injured, with the majority having to have long lay offs, which is why I asked you.

I like the principle that the core Olympic lifts can be achieved by anybody and that lifting weights doesn't need to be about hypertrophy...hence the popularity with women.

They can be achieved by anybody, that is true, but there is a huge difference between going through the motion of a "insert compound movement here" and doing the lift correctly.

Circuit training was never about hypertrophy.

Women are just under the misapprehension that if they touch a dumbbell they will suddenly look like a Russian shot putter! I speak from vast experience.

While others think it looks too much like hard work and as long as they do 30 mins on a treadmill/bike that will be enough : )

Also, because most of the workouts are scored either as your best time for a set number of reps/sets, or as many reps as possible in a given time, it encourages you to 'beat yourself' during each session.

And there's the injury

Some in their quest for reps will sacrifice form, when the body is tired form is the first to suffer.

In my professional opinion weighted Olympic lifts should not form part of a speed circuit, they are dangerous, multi joint movements, that should be carried out with perfect form, correct breathing, and smooth movement, not the jerking that is caused when moving weights at speed, impact on the joints/connecting tissues at the base of the movements, especially hip rotation at the bottom of a squat movement, straining the lower back, if someone can't touch their toes and they do a deep squat, I can pretty much guarantee that they will have a back problem, then we have over extension, joint separation at the top of the movement, these will cause damage, not might, not maybe, WILL cause damage, and the "better" you feel you are doing, the more you are banging yourself, the faster you go, the more weight you push, just means the more you are fking yourself up for later, your body may allow you to participate at the moment, but one day it will not.

Says the sports scientist, gym owner, trainer for over 35 years, multi sport nut who can't hold his arms up under pressure for long due to knackered rotators and who now can only walk a short distance on sticks due to Arthur Itis paying his knees and hips a visit, a direct result of my training lifestyle and received (poor) instruction.

Or in other words, please learn by my mistakes, pretty please!

I'm not asking you to stop, I'm still at it! I'm just advising you to be a bit more thoughtful of your joints, your form, and your speed when doing movements under weight :35:

And if you spot others on the edge of losing form or injuring themselves, please spread the word, be that guy, some will ignore, but others will be grateful of the knowledge and they are the ones that count :128:

Doing well on my diet, restricting all carbs and eating good fats and getting enough protein. Question, is there a weight loss supplement out there that would actually benefit me? or are they all packaging...

mustard and cayenne pepper can fire up your metabolism. caffeine they say can as well (depends if you are a regular coffee/tea drinker already)

That is all you need, the weight loss / thermobul things are basically just trying the same thing.

Coconut oil they say helps, see link in this thread, last few pages somewhere, as they have medium chain triglycerides and mostly just down to hard work and good diet which it sounds like you are putting in.

There are other bits and bobs they say help stoke things, not sure how much Steff would recommend over and above just the basics, so we'll see when he posts!

Yeah doing great on the diet, it's amazing how much you can suprise yourself with your will power. I'm just trying to preserve as much muscle as possible while losing the fat. I don't drink any tea or coffee, just water really so I'm wondering if there is a supplement that actually works to help me get the last pounds off.

Tried the creatine from bulkpowders you recommended, don't think I could be without it now it really does work.

What difference have you noticed out of interest?

You could try the thermabol etc, but still think you can do it yourself cheaper, they just thrown in caffeine, cayenne etc. bulk powders and myprotein.co.uk do versions.

Yeah that's what the type of supplement I was considering, just seeing if anyone has any experience with any of them. Got some spare money so would be interested in trying something that has proven to have some benefit.

I loaded on the creatine on my days off, I put it in boiling water but it never seems to dissolve fully so I just disolve it as best I can add some cold water and neck all of it to make sure I get the powder that sits at the bottom. I noticed straight away at the gym I was getting 2 more reps out of my sets and even the extra pump you get is worth it for the encouragement it brings. I'm never aching as much the next day either which sometimes I miss because it makes you feel you've really hit that muscle group.

Green tea, cayenne, paprika, caffeine are just a few of the things that can help to fire up the metabolic rate and burn fat, although nothing works better (legally) than caffeine (no milk, no sugar, no nutrients of any type) on waking on an empty stomach followed 15 mins later by 20 mins of high intensity or a 30sec/3min interval session. This will boost your metabolic rate no end : )

Other substances are available, Ephedrine (eca stack), Clenbuterol, T3, T4, T5, DMAA, DNP, all of which are very effective, some of which require you take much more care and attention when using than others, just like caffeine, aspirin, alcohol, cough syrup or any other over the counter medication, ABUSE will lead to problems.

I am not advocating the use of any substances that the Government decides are "bad for us" this month for whatever political reason, I am just giving the unbiased scientific response to the question.

Legally they aren't Bear and don't go buying on-line from places you know not what you are getting. You need people who can attest to their efficacy and quality.

Decent supplements summary

http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/blog/4329/sports-supplements-infographic.htm

steff_the_villan - 23/4/2013 03:50

Gazgecko - 21/4/2013 09:47

the nature of cross-fit can cause people to push themselves a little too hard and injuries are common.

Seems very common, I know many who do these classes, I have yet to know any who have not been injured, with the majority having to have long lay offs, which is why I asked you.

I like the principle that the core Olympic lifts can be achieved by anybody and that lifting weights doesn't need to be about hypertrophy...hence the popularity with women.

They can be achieved by anybody, that is true, but there is a huge difference between going through the motion of a "insert compound movement here" and doing the lift correctly.

Circuit training was never about hypertrophy.

Women are just under the misapprehension that if they touch a dumbbell they will suddenly look like a Russian shot putter! I speak from vast experience.

While others think it looks too much like hard work and as long as they do 30 mins on a treadmill/bike that will be enough : )

Also, because most of the workouts are scored either as your best time for a set number of reps/sets, or as many reps as possible in a given time, it encourages you to 'beat yourself' during each session.

And there's the injury

Some in their quest for reps will sacrifice form, when the body is tired form is the first to suffer.

In my professional opinion weighted Olympic lifts should not form part of a speed circuit, they are dangerous, multi joint movements, that should be carried out with perfect form, correct breathing, and smooth movement, not the jerking that is caused when moving weights at speed, impact on the joints/connecting tissues at the base of the movements, especially hip rotation at the bottom of a squat movement, straining the lower back, if someone can't touch their toes and they do a deep squat, I can pretty much guarantee that they will have a back problem, then we have over extension, joint separation at the top of the movement, these will cause damage, not might, not maybe, WILL cause damage, and the "better" you feel you are doing, the more you are banging yourself, the faster you go, the more weight you push, just means the more you are fking yourself up for later, your body may allow you to participate at the moment, but one day it will not.

Says the sports scientist, gym owner, trainer for over 35 years, multi sport nut who can't hold his arms up under pressure for long due to knackered rotators and who now can only walk a short distance on sticks due to Arthur Itis paying his knees and hips a visit, a direct result of my training lifestyle and received (poor) instruction.

Or in other words, please learn by my mistakes, pretty please!

I'm not asking you to stop, I'm still at it! I'm just advising you to be a bit more thoughtful of your joints, your form, and your speed when doing movements under weight :35:

And if you spot others on the edge of losing form or injuring themselves, please spread the word, be that guy, some will ignore, but others will be grateful of the knowledge and they are the ones that count :128:
Cheers Steff, plenty of people making the mistakes you're talking about. As you say form is everything and there is an identifiable difference between the guys who have taken up Crossfit to supplement their existing training programs (they're the guys who have good form and a sensible approach to their training) and the blokes who have taken up Crossfit from scratch with little previous training experience ( training too hard, little rest, appalling form sometimes, and inevitably absent for weeks at a time due to injury).

Appreciate the advice mate, good to hear from guys with experience.

Cheers

My home gym is currently being built! :4:

Garage converted and insulated. Can't wait to fit it out and get stuck in....!

Been back on my weights bench in my loft for the past 2 months. Lost my beer gut, lost an inch and half of my waist and gained nearly half a stone.

Thinking about using supplements, never used any before and dont really know what to go for.

Two to start with mate:

Whey protein
Creatine

Few links in this thread last few pages to bulkpowders who seem very good and well priced.

You've not injured yourself yet then?! :3:

Can I have some advice.

Had an op. in Jan, I have lost all muscle from my arms / shoulders / back. In fact, I need to stretch the muscles as they have contracted.

I have started to do bicep curls, 2kg to start off (seriously, could only just lift this at first). It is now getting easier, therefore, to build muscle / strength, is it better to do more reps at 2kg, or do less ireps at a higher weight

I have also got a resistance band which i started on today - are there any escercises I can do to help my shoulder movement - I am still restricted a hell of a lot though

Any advice will be welcome