Weight Training Thread | Page 72 | Vital Football

Weight Training Thread

Rock n roll

You prefer the tea over the extract tablets, are they a bit of a meh!

I stopped tea years ago, only herbals now, think I just get a reaction, eyes darken, catarrh etc. never been one for coffee!

Must remember to make you a licorice tea nex time you nip by!

The tabs are okay, as long as you know exactly what they contain, but as with most, the more natural the version the better they seem to be.

Bought some Creatine powder from Holland & Barrett yesterday, was all going well until I realised each scoop has 32 grams of carbs!!!!!

Seeing as I'm trying a low carb diet to burn fat I'm going to have give it a miss for a while or buy another more pure form.

Damn...!

http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/shop-by-category/creatine-supplements.html

http://www.myprotein.com/our-range/bulk-powders/creatine.list

Thanks Fear, definitely going to buy a pure creatine tonight. They're well priced too, need something to help me keep strength while burning fat.

Not used bulkpowders for creatine but Steff recommends for protein and the stuff I've had off them so far seems to mix well etc.

The myprotein stuff can be decent but have had a few things that really don't mix brilliantly.

So I'd prob try bulkpowders first and see.

The Fear - 9/4/2013 10:36

Not used bulkpowders for creatine but Steff recommends for protein and the stuff I've had off them so far seems to mix well etc.

The myprotein stuff can be decent but have had a few things that really don't mix brilliantly.

just nosing Mr Fear- where dya get ya supplements from...?

Bear Grylls - 9/4/2013 11:32

I'll try bulkpowders.. Have you ever supplemented with BCAAs or are they not worth the money?

I do, I tend to try not to take too much, you read the stuff on all the things and they sound like they'll magically transform you, but yes, BCAA's when I'm really 'on' training wise.

I know they are one that Steff recommends as well as protein and creatine.

Shrekkers - 9/4/2013 11:44

The Fear - 9/4/2013 10:36

just nosing Mr Fear- where dya get ya supplements from...?

Mix between myprotein and bulkpowders (linked on last page) plus google searches to see the best deals when I'm looking for something specific. ie I do love the PHd protein powders, they are a bit more expensive but the quality is great and the taste also. I will search for offers on those and often get them at bargain prices.

Maximuscle can be good for end of stock stuff, but are expensive for everyday use I think. But they do have a clearance section, shorter sell by dates and very good prices.

Also worth keeping an eye on holland and barrett who do have some good offers at times.

I've not used them but noticed GNC the other day had buy one get one free on everything, can't grumble at that!

If you're near minworth, check out Tropicana fitness.. They do mail order or u can go the shop.. Best prices out there bud..

Does anyone use Resistance bands? I was thinking of getting some but they don't look like they could much damage.

Are they actually any good or a bit of a gimmick?

I've been doing Crossfit training for about a year now.

http://www.crossfit.com/

The workouts are short and intense, focusing on big Olympic lifts, interspersed with cardio and body weight exercises eg:

500m row
15 dead lifts
15 pull-ups

As many rounds of this as possible in 10 minutes.

Just wondered if anyone else has tried this sort of stuff before...?

Bikini Inspector - 15/4/2013 19:15

Does anyone use Resistance bands? I was thinking of getting some but they don't look like they could much damage.

Are they actually any good or a bit of a gimmick?

It's not the size of the tool that counts my friend, it's how you use it : )

If you use them with correct form at the correct tension they are very effective : ) Should I repeat the word correct?

An excellent tool, a reasonably large gent I had trained for 4 years took a set with him on a 3 month tour of Asia, took no space in his hand luggage and he came back as big as when he left.

If you would like me to instruct you in "correct" just tell me what you are going to achieve, fat loss, increase muscle mass etc, age, height, weight, any med problems/surgeries, feel free to pm

Gazgecko - 15/4/2013 19:43

Oh the latest thing! :17: Re labelled timed circuit training, yep was doing that shit 30 odd years ago, and have trained crossfit instructors :35:

There really isn't much new out there, it's all a re packaged, re hash of something we've all done before, it's still around because it's effective.

One question, in the year you've been doing this type of training, what percentage of those training have had to stop for more than a couple of sessions due to injury, including you?

Shrekkers - 9/4/2013 18:19

Welcome sir.. They do all top brands- phd, etc, and have various sales on.. Good company sir..

Indeed, used to sponsor Dorian Yates, own brand USED to be quality, but I think they've banned most of the ingredients : )

steff_the_villan - 20/4/2013 05:22

Gazgecko - 15/4/2013 19:43

Oh the latest thing! :17: Re labelled timed circuit training, yep was doing that shit 30 odd years ago, and have trained crossfit instructors :35:

There really isn't much new out there, it's all a re packaged, re hash of something we've all done before, it's still around because it's effective.

One question, in the year you've been doing this type of training, what percentage of those training have had to stop for more than a couple of sessions due to injury, including you?

Cheers Steff.

Yeah, it's basically a more structured version of some core military workouts (you can clearly see Brit and US forces training principles in some of the workouts). It's become very popular very quickly I think because it focuses on fitness training (strength and endurance) rather than body building.

Interestingly the best cross-fit instructors tend to be the ones who have had good weightlifting training. I haven't had any injuries, but then again I know my limits...the nature of cross-fit can cause people to push themselves a little too hard and injuries are common.

I like the principle that the core Olympic lifts can be achieved by anybody and that lifting weights doesn't need to be about hypertrophy...hence the popularity with women.

Also, because most of the workouts are scored either as your best time for a set number of reps/sets, or as many reps as possible in a given time, it encourages you to 'beat yourself' during each session.