Weight Training Thread | Page 68 | Vital Football

Weight Training Thread

For those that don't know, Steff's gym flooded and top the year, he's just had food poisoning as well.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9061521.htm

Finally got it built. Truly shattered now. Yam gorra laff!

Still, one step closer to trying again! Most unlike me to go for one of the cheaper options but the reviews are right, this is fine, nice and solid and will do the job.

any of these cross trainers any good or are they a bit clunky compared with gym stuff?

http://tinyurl.com/c8g3bb6

this is a good offer, would be ok if just didn't bother with saddle (as it is a 2 in 1 and that I think would make it cramped)

http://tinyurl.com/cpk36fz

the standard (not 2 in 1) is £500

Sooo, at the moment I'm 5'11 and 180lbs. My long term goal was to bulk up with lean muscle but right now I have some stored fat around my stomach and some love handles too, everywhere else hasn't got much.

I'm thinking will it be best for me to focus mainly on cardio for now and try to shift it before moving on to weight training?

Read through this thread dude, also look up the great weight loss one.

Long and short is NO.

Weights and interval training.

Honestly well worth a couple of hours of your time reading through this and the steff will be around with his tortuous ideas for you!

I had a two hour read today while it was quiet at work, I'll go back through and see what I can find.#

As far as diets concerned I'll still need to be getting enough protein to recover from the weights but not too many carbs too let the interval training take effect on the fat?

The Fear - 19/12/2012 15:34

any of these cross trainers any good or are they a bit clunky compared with gym stuff?

You usually get what you pay for, but Kettler are usually good, http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7252428.htm

The reality is this, if used correctly machines in this price range, should break within 12 months :14:

Better?

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/nordictrack-e7-sv-elliptical-cross-trainer.php/

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/fitness-equipment-1/elliptical-crosstrainers.html

They do 0%

Last thing I bought was the bike, didn't get on with it and sold it at a loss. All in all, went well! Lol

The cross trainers seem to be the only thing that doesn't bugger my knees etc.

Found it for 499 so ordered it.

About the only thing that my legs seem half willing to do and doesn't feck my knees too much. Just hope it is decent, reviews were a bit hard to come buy but the model under it had some decent reviews and obv a decent make.

:35: Nice!

"(The standard warranty is 1 year parts & labour, however the warranty will be extended free of charge to 2 years parts & labour provided the product is registered with Nordic Track either by warranty card or via their website, along with proof of purchase, within 28 days)"

Don't forget!

arrives tomorrow, 6:30 am (as I'm having it set up) :10:

Can't use the ******* thing yet but fingers crossed this brain ache swelling will subside and I can start!

bugger me this bit of kit is beautiful. Delivered without the plug adapter though, so can't test yet but then my body isn't going to be able to do much as yet. But it does look very nice at least! LOL

Wow, I'm gobsmacked I got this at just £499. Top bit of kit.

Started a low key (albeit painful!) 3x20 seconds top pelt HIT (with breaks in between) just to see if I can get my system going. Couple of times a day, every other day.

I've been working out for a couple of months now, following on from a long term illness which was finally sorted.

Started slow, with some Pilates and light weights. Increased the weights a bit, but still doing 3 sets of 12, as want to build up tone more than bulk.

Two weeks ago I got this on ebay..

http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/standard_elliptical_trainers/vision_fitness_elite_x6100_hr_folding_elliptical_/2915_p.html

Cost me £100!! What a bargain. Can't run, as I get Shinsplints, and cycling I find boring. So far I've played Golf or used this every day since I got it, so I am getting aerobic exercise each day. Like Fear, I do like this higher end Cross Trainers. The longer stride makes it smoother to use.

Was dong 20 minutes a day on it, but I am now alternating that with Tabata training (HIT). I've read a lot about it, and I still need convincing, but thought I'd give it a go. One thing - you certainly push yourself to the limit with it, even if it is only a 5 minute workout.

How is yours going Fear? Maybe HIT is a bit too much to get you started? Would a gentle 20 minutes on the Cross Trainer not be easier to start with?

Nah, I don't do gentle really Heathfield. Just not the way I seem to be able to live!

I love HIT. Get it done quickly, think it works like a treat and have read very extensively on it now and the different periods of time that work.

I am doing it steady in as much as I just do 3x20 seconds and I'm done. Sometimes once in a day, sometimes twice. Did one 4x20 seconds when I was up to it.

Once I'm feeling a bit more confident (I get onto the cusp... or on the fence so to speak, where I'm not sure if my body will then click into 'ok, you can do a little now' or back to chronic... I'm hoping, for now... or forever please... the chronic is going... would make sense timing wise with viral meningitis having caused my ongoing brain aches problems)

Will see if I can dig out the one article I have and see if it will scan onto here (or if not, I can always maybe email it you) with a fair bit of info.

I really do rate it.

And yes, wow, what a bargain at £100. Well done! Also great that the long term problem is sorted. If it isn't intrusive, that was the fibromyelgia wasn't it? If so, you feel that is under control?

A friend introduced Tabata training to me last week. I wish he hadn't. I feel shattered after it!!!! LOL. I've read everything I can find on Google about it. No doubt it works, by the looks of it. I suppose I was just bought up on the 20 mins minimum regime, and it's hard to change.

I'm hoping that by alternating I'm getting benefits from both. Also, I've always believed you have to mix up your workouts to keep you interested.

Ebay is great, if you are prepared to pick this sort of stuff up. I had to take it completely to pieces to get it up the stairs, and get the help of a mate. It was worth it though. My next one I would have bid on was a Nordic Track one. It went for £311 in the end. Looks fantastic, though.

Fybromyalgia was diagnosed, but I wasn't convinced as I did have periods where I felt OK. That doesn't really fit in with that condition. Kept badgering the Doctor, and it turned out it's Silent Migraines. Basically all the other symptoms of a Migraine, without the actual headaches. One Pill a day and I'm fine. Been good since last September now.

It seems counter intuitive doesn't it? Quicker and done. Those spending an hour on the treadmill (which steff points out isn't a great machine anyway) and the pain could be all over far quicker and more effectively!

And yes, a mix, keep shocking the body, agreed!

Got the article, I will see if I can scan and cut down so it fits in here, if not I'll pm you for your email or see if I have time to type in the salient points here.

Great news, yes, now you say it, I think I recall you mentioning it before. Glad you kept badgering (sorry Wurzel) so many don't. Wish I had back in the day, I ended up fucked because I trusted docs, bad mistake!