Watford v Aston Villa Official Match Thread - Sat 14th - 3pm | Page 43 | Vital Football

Watford v Aston Villa Official Match Thread - Sat 14th - 3pm

I don't think there's too much to be downhearted about in this result.
Watford had two bits of outrageous luck for the first two goals but, scored a super third.
We got a tremendous first, that shows JM is of far more use played further up the field. And a stonewall penalty.
Yes Matt Targett was all over the place but, it's not as though he'd had a pre-season to get up to speed is it.

Sarr will ruin a lot of defenders lives. We all knew this the last time he was in the prem and everyone wanted to go get him. Targets weakness is his lack of pace and we learnt that the hard way. Bad day in the office for him and others also. I was raging after the game but having calmed down I'm not to worried once we actually get our 'pre'season games' out of the way. Once people are back fit away from injury and up to speed we will be fine, just hope it doesnt take until christmas when the mince pies get dished out.. :D

Hey ho, another dismal performance with very little to be upbeat about. Putting it down to poor preseason, injury to Ollie and players still finding their feet (Emi2 only played against Walsall, I think). Much more to come from this team, just need to get the structural shape right and we'll start ticking. Very early to be dismissing Dean Smith, but I do get those that aren't convinced - watching Brentford was a pleasure and shows us what we should have been - maybe we should have got the whole Brentford backroom staff, not just Smith and Kelly :ROFLMAO:

Hey ho, another dismal performance with very little to be upbeat about. Putting it down to poor preseason, injury to Ollie and players still finding their feet (Emi2 only played against Walsall, I think). Much more to come from this team, just need to get the structural shape right and we'll start ticking. Very early to be dismissing Dean Smith, but I do get those that aren't convinced - watching Brentford was a pleasure and shows us what we should have been - maybe we should have got the whole Brentford backroom staff, not just Smith and Kelly :ROFLMAO:

Its the first game of the season so how can it be "another dismal performance"? We've only had 1 game.

Its the first game of the season so how can it be "another dismal performance"? We've only had 1 game.
We've had multiple no shows for a number of seasons. It doesn't seem to matter who the manager is, it just seems to be ingrained in our DNA. I get that players can have an off day, but the minimum requirement is to bust a gut for the team. As some said, the first half reminded them of a training ground exercise. Just frustrating as hell because no doubt Watford will be circling the drain at the end of the season and we've missed out on points.

It was important from a post-Grealish stance.

I was not at the game and just watched the brief highlights available and their goals were - as many others say - fortunate. On any other day it would have been 0-0 at half time.
OK - I didn't see the whole performance but there was some significant disruption to the team with the 'departure' and some newbies. We lost by the odd goal and I appreciate that this could have been worse, but we could have also won 2-1 on another day.
Watkins was a big miss and we do need some 'heft' in midfield - which I am sure will come before the 31st. However, it is far to soon to write us off a relegation fodder and we will get it sorted out in the next couple of games.
Keep the faith and look upwards.
VTID
COYVB
TCIO

I get that you think the bloke’s useless eltoro but to say he doesn’t know what he’s doing when we were in the lower half of the championship when he arrived is unfair on the bloke. He may not be the guy to lead us to the next level and this season will I think determine that but he’s done a pretty good job considering where we were when he arrived. We finished 11th last season and you can argue about the poor run after Xmas etc but he fully deserves another crack this season over a longer period than one game! We were bloody awful yesterday no denying that and many more like that between now and Christmas will probably seal his fate but to suggest he doesn’t know what he is doing is very harsh imo. The club has been transformed since October 2018, Dean Smith has played a huge part in that. Ok he may have his deficiencies but his record does nothing to suggest he hasn’t got a clue what he’s doing.

I get what your saying, but Jack got him outta jail more times than we’d like to admit, Jack coming back in the championship and winning 10 on the bounce that’s what pushed us into the play offs, without Jack we’d of stayed mid-table, the infamous Sheffield Utd goal that wasn’t also saved us again, as did covid, cos we were in free fall at that time, and yes last season was a marked improvement (and so it should’ve been with £200mill spent over 2 seasons) but Watford away! What a start that was for us to push for Europe (apparently) so what does he do he plays Buendia out of position (a new signing in a new team, Jesus at least let the lad play in his normal position) that’s useless management in my book, and don’t get me started on Targett, he’s been injured and had no pre-season whatsoever, he shouldn’t have been on the bus down there never mind starting, that’s clueless in my book, and all I’ve heard is, it’s our first game give him time, Watford were good at home last season, no shit, who wouldn’t be against Rotherham and the like.
I just don’t rate him, Birmingham Mail tell us he was fuming, was he, he wasn’t on his own, he should’ve been getting into them whilst the games on, managing them from the touch line, but he seems to do nothing once we’ve kicked off, I’ve said it before, when the team comes out Smith should get a cab home.

Last edited:
We've had multiple no shows for a number of seasons. It doesn't seem to matter who the manager is, it just seems to be ingrained in our DNA. I get that players can have an off day, but the minimum requirement is to bust a gut for the team. As some said, the first half reminded them of a training ground exercise. Just frustrating as hell because no doubt Watford will be circling the drain at the end of the season and we've missed out on points.

It was important from a post-Grealish stance.

Pretty much every team outside the top 2 or 3 will have a mix of good and bad performances. We're a mid table premier league side who are striving to be a top 8 or more side.

Not every loss is the worst loss ever. Not every loss is because the players didn't try. Can someone older than me (36) tell me if its always been the way to blame every loss on the players not trying hard enough. Has it always been this way or is it a modern thing?

Pretty much every team outside the top 2 or 3 will have a mix of good and bad performances. We're a mid table premier league side who are striving to be a top 8 or more side.

Not every loss is the worst loss ever. Not every loss is because the players didn't try. Can someone older than me (36) tell me if its always been the way to blame every loss on the players not trying hard enough. Has it always been this way or is it a modern thing?

No it wasn’t mate, its always the players fault now, and I’m not having it.

No it wasn’t mate, its always the players fault now, and I’m not having it.
I'd agree with that. Ultimately the can lies with the manager, although he can't control everything on the pitch.

I think it's a mistake when managers rage at the players. Bruce went down that road and it was the beginning of the end. They should win as a team and lose as a team, and the team includes the manager and his staff. Managers should think carefully about what went wrong then sort it out in training.

I'd agree with that. Ultimately the can lies with the manager, although he can't control everything on the pitch.

I think it's a mistake when managers rage at the players. Bruce went down that road and it was the beginning of the end. They should win as a team and lose as a team, and the team includes the manager and his staff. Managers should think carefully about what went wrong then sort it out in training.
It seems to occur far to often to think that’s what he does, we’ve seen it season after season, even pre-season, totally dominate proceedings against Walsall, then come out against Stoke and play like a celebrity XI who’ve never seen each other, I’m not having that’s the players every time.

‘Like I’ve said before players get ripped to pieces on this site constantly, and for some reason every time I give Smith stick I’m supposedly to give my head a wobble cos it’s our first game. Phuck that.

It seems to occur far to often to think that’s what he does, we’ve seen it season after season, even pre-season, totally dominate proceedings against Walsall, then come out against Stoke and play like a celebrity XI who’ve never seen each other, I’m not having that’s the players every time.

‘Like I’ve said before players get ripped to pieces on this site constantly, and for some reason every time I give Smith stick I’m supposedly to give my head a wobble cos it’s our first game. Phuck that.

Calm down mate, remember it's only a game and worse things happen at sea.