Watford v Aston Villa Match Thread - Sat 28th Dec, 3pm | Page 3 | Vital Football

Watford v Aston Villa Match Thread - Sat 28th Dec, 3pm

I don’t care who plays where at the moment, the biggest problem is that we are far too open and easy to score against.

I’d like to see them play far more compactly, especially away from home, and at least give us a chance by not conceding so many goals.

Starting today please. Scruffy 1 nil win.

Right, I'll have my Matt Targett rant here then.

Do you think it's a coincidence that Taylor was the worst player to ever wear a Villa shirt (according to the supporters on here) and now Targett is the worst player ever to wear a Villa shirt?

If we played Hause at left back, do you think he'd be able to defend and attack at the same time? Do you think opposing teams would target him because he's being pushed forward all the time? Within two games Hause would be written off as not good enough. At that point, we'd have 3 left backs at the club all deemed to not be good enough.

Liverpool play a very similar system to what we are trying to play. They can play it because they have world class players all over the pitch. Trent and Robertson push forward because the opposition players are all inside their own half trying to deal with Mane and Salah.

We're in one thread talking about how we let Adama go too early and on here writing off players after being here for a wet week.

Targett has been excellent going forward this season but our system exposes our full back and they invite pressure on to the centre backs (as the Rev pointed out). Who ever we play in that position is going to look shit because they are left all alone to deal with as many players as the opposition can muster.

That looks like a trend that is going to continue this season. I've no confidence in this formation. We have conceded the most big chances this season and the most shots inside the box. We are conceding 2.3 goals per game away from home. If we were outscoring the opposition 4-3 or 5-4, it would make some sense but we aren't and the more we get battered, the further inside our own half the players retreat.

Wesley is another who gets stick on here on a regular basis but he's alone on the pitch against the entire opposition defence. He's expected (by some on here) to pluck long balls out of the sky and beat the entire defence on his own before sticking it in the back of the net. If he could do that, he wouldn't be playing for us.

So our wingers don't defend and they don't attack. Our players are isolated in key positions and are expected to play multiple positions at the same time and if they can't do that, they are "shit". These "shit" players are then written off and sold off cheaply and then go on to play in the Champions League where we curse the lack of foresight at the club.

So what do you think will happen in this game then BB:throw:

I’ve criticised Matt Targett and I uphold those views but I’ve stuck him my fantasy football team today (He was on my bench, cheap) because I feel we’ll get a clean sheet against these, havent even had a beer yet so not sure why I think that. Probably won’t even start now knowing my fantasy football luck.

4th away game of the season today, due a win!

Man up you lot. It's only Watford, who have just about crawled off the bottom. They are there to be taken. We will get chances. Their attack isn't great. I've a got feeling we will win this one, possibly by 2 or 3 goals. Reckon Nige is a good manager, but he needs time. Wesley, Hourihane and Grealish to score.

I bet Mings isn't quite there, so will be kept for Burnley. So Konsa and Hause in the centre again unless one or both of them haven't recovered, in which case Engels or even Chester. Taylor at LB. Not sure about RB.

Man up the lot of you, it is only Sheffield United.... oh.

Man up the lot of you, it is only Southampton... oh

Hopefully we have studied the errors that Watford have made in order to put them down in the mire, and drilled it into our players what needs to be done. Not the same old, same old, but a proper tactical plan to take on a team who were on the ropes and hopefully can easily be put back on the ropes.

Hopefully we have studied the errors that Watford have made in order to put them down in the mire, and drilled it into our players what needs to be done. Not the same old, same old, but a proper tactical plan to take on a team who were on the ropes and hopefully can easily be put back on the ropes.
You've been drinking early JF.

It just seems we go out and play our game no matter what the opposition and that makes us so predictable

Man up you lot. It's only Watford, who have just about crawled off the bottom. They are there to be taken. We will get chances. Their attack isn't great. I've a got feeling we will win this one, possibly by 2 or 3 goals. Reckon Nige is a good manager, but he needs time. Wesley, Hourihane and Grealish to score.

I bet Mings isn't quite there, so will be kept for Burnley. So Konsa and Hause in the centre again unless one or both of them haven't recovered, in which case Engels or even Chester. Taylor at LB. Not sure about RB.

Have to be careful with an overconfident prediction like that to avoid ending up with egg on your face if we lose !

Spot on. Hopefully they don’t start the second half in a stupor like they have done plenty this season either. Also I bloody hope Luiz takes that tenacity he showed against Norwich into this game, oh and a shot on target from Wesley(maybe too much to ask)

Wesley is another who gets stick on here on a regular basis but he's alone on the pitch against the entire opposition defence. He's expected (by some on here) to pluck long balls out of the sky and beat the entire defence on his own before sticking it in the back of the net. If he could do that, he wouldn't be playing for us.

So our wingers don't defend and they don't attack. Our players are isolated in key positions and are expected to play multiple positions at the same time and if they can't do that, they are "shit". These "shit" players are then written off and sold off cheaply and then go on to play in the Champions League where we curse the lack of foresight at the club.

Wesley will continue to be under fire. I can forgive him for not scoring a lot of goals as he does not get enough chances created for him to score, however what does he do when he gets those rare chances? I will not stop giving him stick until he starts doing the opposite of the below:

As usual second to balls heading in his direction in the air or along the ground. Atrocious first touch and misses aerial balls completely. Poor finishing especially when we really need him to score, being always offside, puts his hands up in the air in frustration when he loses the ball, poor ball control, does not make himself available to receive a pass nor gets himself into good areas, poor ability to keep the ball in possession long enough to bring others into play, can't dribble, can't shoot.

As for players improving after leaving us? Could it not be that other teams have good coaches that improve them. See what Brentford's coaching staff has done. They lose their best players regularly and still manage to get their team to play excellent football. Dean left the staff there and it is not surprising to see us look clueless on the pitch in games unless Jack has the ball as our current coaching staff is useless.

Wesley will continue to be under fire. I can forgive him for not scoring a lot of goals as he does not get enough chances created for him to score, however what does he do when he gets those rare chances? I will not stop giving him stick until he starts doing the opposite of the below:

As usual second to balls heading in his direction in the air or along the ground. Atrocious first touch and misses aerial balls completely. Poor finishing especially when we really need him to score, being always offside, puts his hands up in the air in frustration when he loses the ball, poor ball control, does not make himself available to receive a pass nor gets himself into good areas, poor ability to keep the ball in possession long enough to bring others into play, can't dribble, can't shoot.

As for players improving after leaving us? Could it not be that other teams have good coaches that improve them. See what Brentford's coaching staff has done. They lose their best players regularly and still manage to get their team to play excellent football. Dean left the staff there and it is not surprising to see us look clueless on the pitch in games unless Jack has the ball as our current coaching staff is useless.

I don't know if it's the coaching staff, tactics or something else behind the scenes but that rotten thing has been behind the scenes for a very long time. We signed the very handy Steve Watson from Newcastle and he was terrible for us. He went on to play really well for Everton for years.

Watched them a few times this season and they are not as poor as their league position would suggest. Sincerely hope I am wrong Mc Parland and will be the first on here to say so if that proves to be the case.

I do think today will be tough as per my other post but if we sit tight and don’t concede, there’s always a chance on the counter. I’m not optimistic though we’ll attack with enough intent or defend well enough but in this league anyone can beat anyone. Except Liverpool. No one can beat them.

Not that Smith will sit tight and counter effectively but that’s what I’d do.

Watched them a few times this season and they are not as poor as their league position would suggest. Sincerely hope I am wrong Mc Parland and will be the first on here to say so if that proves to be the case.

I’ve only seen them play Arsenal and United on the box, and they were very good in both. Maybe they raise their game for the big clubs? We’re a big club :surrender: