Watford v Aston Villa Match Thread - Sat 28th Dec, 3pm | Page 2 | Vital Football

Watford v Aston Villa Match Thread - Sat 28th Dec, 3pm

It's obvious that Hause has to move to left-back I've been on about it since Smith started using Taylor last season, Hause is a monster but can actually play a bit as well but Deano won't do it for some reason

Hause and Mings looked good together last season. I know they are both left footed but didn’t seem to affect them before

If Mings is fit would Dean think about playing Hause and Konsa either side of him in a back three?

Agree with above. Targett needs benching. He is being ....errrr....targeted ....by teams big time .
He was awful Saturday and yesterday.

If Mings is fit would Dean think about playing Hause and Konsa either side of him in a back three?

Lads can we all drop this idea of a back 3 - it isn't going to happen and if it does Dean Smith will be sacked.

Dramatic changes in shape are a sign of desperation IMO.

BBC suggests Deeney will be rested.
BS he won't want to miss this , Mings , hause , konsa, retire this pensioner

and things aren't desperate?

Not watching the last two games has helped me live in a fantasy world where everything is fine.

In all serious for me, no, we're a point from safety with the window about to open and picked up a win in what was definitely desperate fashion. We do stand on the edge of desperation and it would be felt if we lose tomorrow. I don't feel things are desperate its not like we're bottom of the table without a win in 5 games with Liverpool, City and Leceister next.

The job of management is not to be desperate though, it is to act calm and with clarity in moments like this and not succumb to our desperation. I want them to spend time on the training ground tweaking whats wrong because a 3 man backline will be implemented in one of two ways:

1) Recklessly without preparation
2) Executed with preparation and therefore stealing time to prepare for the immediate future

The risks and rewards are great - I am not convinced we have the players to play it.

Watching Watford the other day against United, they seem to have sorted themselves out and I really fear they will be too physical and more determined to want to fight this game out than us. Unless we play Watford off the pitch having the lions share of the possession which I can’t see happening, it’s going to be a long 90 minutes at vicarage road.

My first time to Watford, having to slum it with the enemy because our tickets went like gold dust as usual. Though I am in the Graham Taylor stand, so if there’s one stand in the whole of English football I don’t mind going in when I can’t be in the villa end, it’s probably the best one. Long shot but PM me if you have any spares in the Villa end need two more for mates if they’re going

Man up you lot. It's only Watford, who have just about crawled off the bottom. They are there to be taken. We will get chances. Their attack isn't great. I've a got feeling we will win this one, possibly by 2 or 3 goals. Reckon Nige is a good manager, but he needs time. Wesley, Hourihane and Grealish to score.

I bet Mings isn't quite there, so will be kept for Burnley. So Konsa and Hause in the centre again unless one or both of them haven't recovered, in which case Engels or even Chester. Taylor at LB. Not sure about RB.

Man up you lot. It's only Watford, who have just about crawled off the bottom. They are there to be taken. We will get chances. Their attack isn't great. I've a got feeling we will win this one, possibly by 2 or 3 goals. Reckon Nige is a good manager, but he needs time. Wesley, Hourihane and Grealish to score.

I bet Mings isn't quite there, so will be kept for Burnley. So Konsa and Hause in the centre again unless one or both of them haven't recovered, in which case Engels or even Chester. Taylor at LB. Not sure about RB.
It's only Watford have just beaten manu took an away point off Sheff u and played well at anfield. But hey if you turn out to be right I will come back and say so!

Right, I'll have my Matt Targett rant here then.

Do you think it's a coincidence that Taylor was the worst player to ever wear a Villa shirt (according to the supporters on here) and now Targett is the worst player ever to wear a Villa shirt?

If we played Hause at left back, do you think he'd be able to defend and attack at the same time? Do you think opposing teams would target him because he's being pushed forward all the time? Within two games Hause would be written off as not good enough. At that point, we'd have 3 left backs at the club all deemed to not be good enough.

Liverpool play a very similar system to what we are trying to play. They can play it because they have world class players all over the pitch. Trent and Robertson push forward because the opposition players are all inside their own half trying to deal with Mane and Salah.

We're in one thread talking about how we let Adama go too early and on here writing off players after being here for a wet week.

Targett has been excellent going forward this season but our system exposes our full back and they invite pressure on to the centre backs (as the Rev pointed out). Who ever we play in that position is going to look shit because they are left all alone to deal with as many players as the opposition can muster.

That looks like a trend that is going to continue this season. I've no confidence in this formation. We have conceded the most big chances this season and the most shots inside the box. We are conceding 2.3 goals per game away from home. If we were outscoring the opposition 4-3 or 5-4, it would make some sense but we aren't and the more we get battered, the further inside our own half the players retreat.

Wesley is another who gets stick on here on a regular basis but he's alone on the pitch against the entire opposition defence. He's expected (by some on here) to pluck long balls out of the sky and beat the entire defence on his own before sticking it in the back of the net. If he could do that, he wouldn't be playing for us.

So our wingers don't defend and they don't attack. Our players are isolated in key positions and are expected to play multiple positions at the same time and if they can't do that, they are "shit". These "shit" players are then written off and sold off cheaply and then go on to play in the Champions League where we curse the lack of foresight at the club.

Lads can we all drop this idea of a back 3 - it isn't going to happen and if it does Dean Smith will be sacked.

Dramatic changes in shape are a sign of desperation IMO.

Leicester switched from their regular 4-5-1 to play 4-4-2 against us.

Mourinho in his pomp used to change formations all the time to counter the opposition.

Teams regularly bring on an extra striker or defender depending on how the match is going for them.

I don't see that changing formation is such a big deal.

Heaton
Elmahamdy. Hause. Konsa. Taylor
Elghazi. Luis. Mckamba. Hurry up
Grealish
Wesley.

I fear the worst today, I know because we beat Norwich it should give us a lift but I don't see any improvement in the last two games except Norwich missed a couple of sitters and Southampton didn't. We still got totally outplayed by teams who were below us.
Let's hope I'm wrong and Watford really are crap but with Pearson, I'm sure they will muscle us out of it.

Come on the Grealish