Vital List - The Pompey Hall of Shame | Vital Football

Vital List - The Pompey Hall of Shame

Chix

Vital Champions League
I was on a thread the other day and suggested that Dave Kitson should be in our<b> 'Hall of Shame' </B>... not only for the fact that he hung on so long for his money when we didn't have any but also for the fact that he was 'generally' a really disappointing performer. I then realised we didn't have a hall of shame .. so I'm gonna start one.

I imagine we could all come up with a list of contenders and blow the thread apart very quickly .. So in order to inject some longevity and consideration in the thread .. I'm introducing a process to follow in order to make your nominations.
<b>
1. Each member can only make one nomination at a time. A second nomination can only be made if your previous nomination has been rejected or accepted.

2. Each nomination must be accompanied by a valid reason why they should be granted entry

3. Each entry has to be seconded by two other vital Pompey members

4. Once accepted into the Hall of Shame the Vital members shall decide on the 'placing within the Hall ... i.e. Is he the worse ever or lower than some of the other who may be put forward

5. Anybody connected with PFC (Players, manager, chairmen, directors, fans etc.. can be nominated)
</b>
Thinking hats on people ... remember one per member to start with and with a valid reason.

Ok, I'll get the ball rolling.

I nominate Balram Chanrai.

Good ol' "Balou" was instrumental in the near-extinction of a club that has been running since 1898.

Under the disguise of a kindly old chap, with a benevolent outlook, the "reluctant owner" was less reluctant to try & ship as much cash out of the club as possible.

Right to the very end this urchin hung on to the club & gambled with its very future & the hearts of many thousands of people.

Ladies & gentlemen, I rest my case

case approved i would suspect Tim...

ok, along similar line (will get to footballers at some point, honest!) david lampitt!

came in with such plans, seemed such a great appointment that got football and knew what was needed to make it work, and work well - clearly not...

under his spell as CEO we continued, in admin and having exited it (with the help of admin andy) to dish out crazy wages that were unsustainable and unrealistic.

distrubling for other clubs this guy now 'teaches' people how to run clubs properly!

If needed I third the above.

I'd also like to nominate carl dickinson. Yes his heart was in it, but jesus he was a poor footballer.

Jermaine Defoe, for just being a wonker! Less than a yeah and sulked and didn't try in the whole time, happy to fleece the frick out of us tho! Couldn't wait to jump ship again. About sums up our last few years.

PompeyJake - 12/9/2013 18:39

If needed I third the above.

I'd also like to nominate carl dickinson. Yes his heart was in it, but jesus he was a poor footballer.

Ha ha! Did laugh at that one Jake. :1:

penton - 12/9/2013 18:54

Jermaine Defoe, for just being a wonker! Less than a yeah and sulked and didn't try in the whole time, happy to fleece the frick out of us tho! Couldn't wait to jump ship again. About sums up our last few years.

Inerestingly, that was the first name I thought of Penton. Then thought of TBH, but decided on Balram in the end.

Seconded :1:

I'll back you on TBH Tim, the list for this could be ten times greater than the hall of fame!

Good shout with Carl Tiler. I couldn't decide between Lee Mills, John Utaka, Rory Allen, laurent robert, Hamilton Thorpe, collins mbsumba, Chialkis and does anyone remember Steve Soley. I am sure he came on as a sub and then went off 10 minutes later! I think I will go with £1.25 million signing Lee Mills, a complete disgrace. It made me realise we have brought some right clinkers over the years!

Blimey Farnham - they're all great shouts.

Collins has to be the best of them. "The Hurricane"!! I remember the anticipation of him coming on. It was towards the end of the game. But then when he came waddling on in the largest shorts you had ever seen everyone just looked at each other. Amazing & very funny, except that we had wasted a shed load of money on him!

paultsmouth - 12/9/2013 21:23

Carl Tiler, same reasons as Dickinson!

Carl was just shit. But unlike "Dicko" who the fans wanted to like, the fans seemed to hate Tiler right from the off.

Did he do anything (other than be shit) to incur the wrath of the Fratton Faithful?

Kawaguchi.......need I say anymore? Hopeless and just a ploy to sell shirts to Japan! Firstly though you have to be able to keep goal, it helps....

Some great nominations in here fellas some I think will sail through other may need more debate .. I'll try and put a list together later today to make things clearer .. and I'll also post my first nomination too ... I bet one or two of you can guess who I'll start with ...

Ok so let's see where we are now...

I am happy with
<b>Balram Chanrai </b> & <b>David Lampitt</b> and would probably place Lampitt above Balram as although he striped us bear Balram was a reluctant owner whereas Lampitt was hailed as Mr Integrity and one who was gonna to take us to a brand new dawn

I think there may be a few more ex-owners and directors to join the list at some point but for now I think we have culprit 1 & 2

As for the players suggested ..

<b>Jermain Defoe</b> for being a mercenary .. I think we are gonna need a bit more evidence before we induct 'ol JD afterall he did score goals which despite his attitude was what he was paid to do .. It's a no for now but I'm happy to reconsider with a more watertight case

<b>Tal Ben Haim</b> .. has been mentioned but yet to be nominated.. surely somebody can put over a good case for him

<b>Carl Dickinson</b> - Bit harsh I feel and gonna need a lot of convincing on that one .. he might have been crap but he tried hard and gave his all and even clapped the Fratton End and Away support every time he played

<b>Carl Tiler </b>- I'm gonna need a little bit more before inducting him although I must admit he is in front of Dickinson in the queue - I'm teetering on the brink

<B>Lee Mills</b> - A very good shout .. does anybody want to add anything to Farnhams submission before I make a decision

<b>Yoshi Kawaguchi</b> - Another good shout but evidence please as I'm not convinced he wasn't more a victim of circumstance -

<b>Collins Mbsumba</b> - Likewise as above..and remember some of our younger readers are gonna want to know why we are wanting to induct these guys so don't hold back on your detail

So there we are two definitely in two almost in .. two need a case making and about four or five under consideration

Now for my first nomination

Here's a link to an article I wrote a few years ago

http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/sitepage.asp?a=121766

Enjoy and let me know if you agree

In the meantime thinking caps back on or validate those already mentioned

I second DeFoe. Mainly cos of what may have been a deliberate penalty miss, think it was V West Ham, at the Milton end. Also I nominate Peter Storrie-Teller for lots of reasons too many to mention. :13: :13:

Forgot about that Lorna - bloody good point!

So, let's build on the Defoe case:

1) mercenary
2) couldn't wait to ditch Pompey at the first opportunity
3) at WHL when we first played him after he left, he rubbed it in our faces when he scored
4) friends with Harry Redknapp
5) possibly deliberately missed a penalty

The prosecution rests.

you do not 'shrug your shoulders' when you miss a penalty do you, that little bastard did that when he missed that one against west ham (on boxing day i think).

pretty sure he was already at white hart lane, parading around the pitch, before the deal was even done!

we got his career back on track, has nothing but distaine for us - granted we cannot stick him but without the move to pompey chances are he would have wasted away at white hart lane, similarly to how he is now...

I'll def add Peter Storrie to the discussion list but it's gonna have to be a strong case to get him in .. although I do feel I will (in time) succumb and back down where Uncle Peter is concerned.

As for Defoe ... and Tim's/Lornas points .. The penalty was a disgrace I agree ... but mercenary .. surely not the only one .. and lets not forget he did deliver the goods .. 17 goals in 36 games is some record .. compare that to Andy Cole 4 in 22 - I know who'd I'd rather have in my team... as for rubbing our noses in it when he scored at WHL .. well why not he IS spurs through and through and I'm sure if a Pompey player returning to Fratton and playing against their old club would do the same... The Friends with Harry Redknapp point is not a reason to put JD in the hall of shame... they would all end up in there if that was the case lol..

As for Rug's point .. he could have gone to any premiership club to get his career back on track .. as he could know ... Fact is he didn't want to leave spurs .. just like now !

So what decision should I make ... I think I'd go with the majority and drop him but had it not been for that penalty I would not have wavered ... Nice point lorna :14: