Villa v Leeds - 8pm Friday 13th January ‘23 - Premier League | Page 25 | Vital Football

Villa v Leeds - 8pm Friday 13th January ‘23 - Premier League

Moreno could be transformational in how we play. There was a move around the 51st minute where he bombs down the wing, Kamara slips it through taking out 3 or 4 players and then the touch from Moreno takes our 2 more. Even when they slowed him then Ramsey came breaking through, carrying 5the ball into the box and slipping in Moreno.

Couple more upgrades and we can be even more dangerous.

No idea what is happening with Buendia. That is 2 recent games where he has scored and done absolutely nothing else. Bailey drives me mad. He scores in the first five mins and then keeps giving the ball away. Play it simple if you are not 1 v 1 its not hard. The times Konsa played it to him in our half and he lost it was awful. We were lucky not to be punished for it.

No idea what is happening with Buendia. That is 2 recent games where he has scored and done absolutely nothing else. Bailey drives me mad. He scores in the first five mins and then keeps giving the ball away. Play it simple if you are not 1 v 1 it’s not hard. The times Konsa played it to him in our half and he lost it was awful. We were lucky not to be punished for it.

Luckily both players did score, otherwise their ratings would’ve been closer to 1 than 10. It wouldn’t be unfair to give both of them a 5 even though they did score.

Emi2 was completely anonymous for most of the game, it’s not uncommon for number 10’s to have games like that, but perhaps he should’ve chosen to drift wider and stayed in that position, but I think he tries to be eveywhere and ends up being nowhere.

As for Bailey, I don’t know what to say. I posted pre-game I was glad he started because at least he gave us width and have Leeds something to think about. He’s a match winner and complete liability all in one.

Go figure on both .

Buendia was anonymous (again) apart from the goal.

Bailey‘s finish was a beaut (again) was willing through the game to his credit but by god the amount he gives the ball away is fcuking diabolical.

Yet if I'd been manager they'd both have been off the second half for constantly losing the ball but Unai kept them on and the goals won us the game.
So we just have to trust Unai I suppose

Yet if I'd been manager they'd both have been off the second half for constantly losing the ball but Unai kept them on and the goals won us the game.
So we just have to trust Unai I suppose

I was surprised Bailey wasn’t hauled, but as the game opened up he was our most dangerous ball carrier even if he did lose it time and time again.

Tactically there is also a reason in keeping players like Bailey on the pitch, to keep the opposition thinking about their back line. So yes, in Unai we trust.

Last edited:
I don't know why we don't keep a player up on the halfway line when defending corners and deep set pieces. Last night it allowed Leeds to push 10 players into our box , whereas if you keep Ings say up then Leeds would of kept 2 back. Is it the risk / reward strategy of being able to launch a lightning fast counter attack ?

Yep I've been saying this for the last few games Bailey on the halfway line and Leeds needed at least 2 players back .

Also, a player, like him can't defend he is likely to not head the ball clear or dangle a leg and give away a pen, Best left up the pitch

Surprised there weren't more injuries second half as the ref basically encouraged Leeds to keep clattering our players by not giving out cards for the worst or most persistent offenders. So annoyed Bamford fucking scored against us *again*. Nonce-o looks like a good player but already in the dirty cheating Leeds ways.

Like I said, I look forward to the day they fail to turn it into a scrap but I'll take the wins on the way.

Bailey has all of the technical ability in the world, but I just don't think he's very bright.

Seldom do you see him look up and scan when he's on the ball. It shows lack of awareness and then he ends up trying to do too much and losing the ball.

Thought Courtinho looked good in his cameo. Wonder if he will start instead of Buendia at Saints?
I doubt it, I wasn’t a massive fan of Buendia’s performance but he did put in a very good defensive shift and scored what ended up being the winning goal. Can’t see how he will be dropped for that just because Coutinho did his “nice touches” but with out much substance routine.

Bailey has all of the technical ability in the world, but I just don't think he's very bright.

Seldom do you see him look up and scan when he's on the ball. It shows lack of awareness and then he ends up trying to do too much and losing the ball.
If Emery can coach him so that he gives the ball at the right time and stops over playing with it then we have a fantastic player on our hands.

Bailey absolutely infuriates me, I hated many aspects of his performance, he lost the ball so many times I lost count, but he was a constant threat and obviously was key to both goals.

Oh and Kamara, such a joy to watch!
My worry like everyone else I guess is losing him, we really need to show him we’re going places, Unai coming and then bringing quality like Alex mereno will hopefully do that.
And for an English prem debut Alex Moreno was very good for me, hopefully a few more of their qualities will see us improve.