Villa v Derby County, Saturday 28th April, 3pm kick off | Page 2 | Vital Football

Villa v Derby County, Saturday 28th April, 3pm kick off

I came across an article a little while ago that said 86 points is the average 2nd-place finish total in the championship (ie. Automatic). I’ve heard Bruce mention reaching the “points target” in an interview. Wonder if that’s what he was referring to? Still achievable, so if we don’t go up with that total then can we consider ourselves unlucky?

‘Last’ home game, will there be one of the lap of appreciation things? Not that I’ll stay to see it but with the impeding play off home fixture I guess that is the real last game. I’ve read we’re expecting a big crowd Saturday too so I guess that’s the people coming along for a Wembley ticket ? should be a good game anyway with that result against Cardiff tonight, they’ll be well up for it and I hope we are too.

Last edited:
I agree that it is too little too late. Fulham and Cardiff have gone incredible runs. We just need to keep up the confidence. Selection will depend on Fridays result.

Exciting as it is jesus christ is it annoying some of the games we threw away and you wouldnt mind if it was only one.

Still fancy our chances in the play-offs.

I sat in front of the laptop last night playing the "what if only"game, drving myself slowly mad.
So many silly points dropped, could have pissed this league.
Still, its a great improvement on last season so onward and hopefully upwards.

Yes you do have to give your own head a 'wobble' sometimes. Much as it's been frustrating at times this season by god is it better than the last few years.

The odd game here and there that we should have won but didn't doesn't really annoy me.

Bolton, QPR, Norwich... while they were pretty awful, all clubs have had results like that. Wolves lost to Notts Forest at home and drew with Sunderland. Fulham actually LOST to Sunderland. Cardiff lost to QPR and Bolton.

So results like that happen. It's just part and parcel and pointless dwelling on.

The thing that will stop us going up is our start to the season. 7 points in 7 games. None of the teams around us have had a run like that all season.

Yeah start was bad, but for me the turning point when automatic went was definitely QPR. Back up the Wolves game with a win and could not see us looking back.
But that was the ultimate one step forward two steps back. Just got the impression after that game that the players and fans lacked belief that we could go up automatically. Pretty much shell shocked that there were two so contrasting performances.
Bruce said himself he still regrets not freshening things for QPR. Hindsight, yes he should have, but no one would have argued against playing the same players who had just smashed wolves.

Unless you are Man City then every club loses a game to so called inferior opposition. It happens , players are human , they have off days.

We can all do the "what if" but if I do that I would have us winning every game and that isn't going to happen to anyone, especially in the Championship.