Villa v Derby County, Saturday 28th April, 3pm kick off | Vital Football

Villa v Derby County, Saturday 28th April, 3pm kick off

Pride of Lions

I am now official
Last home game of the season in the league. We play Derby County, who we all hope I'm sure, will be coming fresh from a home win over Cardiff City (tonight), so will Bruce keep his strongest side or rest some and play some youth? Thoughts?.......

40,000 plus for this one so it will be a cracking atmosphere.

I reckon one or two that didn't play last week will get a game and some who did play will be rested.

Agree Sir Den, the logical approach for these last 2 games is to rotate 2/3 players at a time.

So I expect Adomah and Snoddy back in, with maybe Jack and Whelan rested.

Possibly Hutton back in for one of the full backs too.

No resting for the last 2 games unless Millwall are out of contention we could play either in the play offs do not want to give them any sort of mental advantage e.g. having beaten us before the play offs.

It’s a dead rubber isn’t it ? Could have been one if the biggest games in recent years if Cardiff and Fulham has just dropped a few more people points - the buggers.

It’s a dead rubber isn’t it ? Could have been one if the biggest games in recent years if Cardiff and Fulham has just dropped a few more people points - the buggers.

Not necessarily , especially if Cardiff lose tonight , there will be plenty riding on it.

No. Cardiff need 2 wins from 3 games . Fulham can still get to 91 points and probably will given their fixtures.

Yes I what you mean about automatics. I was thinking more in terms of us finishing 3rd above Cardiff and Fulham going up.

Depending on tonight's result, I don't think it really matters much whether we are third or fourth to be honest.

Assuming Cardiff put automatic promotion beyond us by winning tonight, I'd be happy to play a 'weakened' team for the last two games to try and avoid injuries and red cards before the play-offs.

We really shouldn't have anything to fear from Millwall, Boro, or whoever ends up 5th (assuming we finish 4th) over a two-game semi-final.

Winning would be nice to keep it going but not getting any serious injuries would be better. Sadly its impossible to legislate against injury other than leaving players out.
I am more concerned about Millwall kicking lumps out of us the following week as I think that game will define Millwall s season.

Depending on tonight's result, I don't think it really matters much whether we are third or fourth to be honest.

Assuming Cardiff put automatic promotion beyond us by winning tonight, I'd be happy to play a 'weakened' team for the last two games to try and avoid injuries and red cards before the play-offs.

We really shouldn't have anything to fear from Millwall, Boro, or whoever ends up 5th (assuming we finish 4th) over a two-game semi-final.

I am concerned that some are taking Boro a bit lightly. I don't subscribe to wanting to play them out of anyone in the play offs. With our friend Pulis and Adama I just have a horrible, bad nagging feeling about playing them. More so in two legs rather than the final to be fair though.

And for that reason I'm in agreement with SD regarding finishing 3rd. Hadn't actually considered that and actually think we should be going at it to play for third if possible. Finish third and we could play Millwall, Derby, Bristol city, Sheffield united, Preston or Brentford. All those are more preferable than Boro surely ?.
Well maybe not Brentford, lol !.

At least there's a reasonable gap between semi-finals and the finals. Get to the finals and I'd back us to win, no matter who we're playing (memo to self: stop being optimistic, you know it never works).

Both Derby and Millwall have everything to play for, which may work in our favour. Sit back a bit and hit them on the counter.

I am concerned that some are taking Boro a bit lightly. I don't subscribe to wanting to play them out of anyone in the play offs. With our friend Pulis and Adama I just have a horrible, bad nagging feeling about playing them. More so in two legs rather than the final to be fair though.

And for that reason I'm in agreement with SD regarding finishing 3rd. Hadn't actually considered that and actually think we should be going at it to play for third if possible. Finish third and we could play Millwall, Derby, Bristol city, Sheffield united, Preston or Brentford. All those are more preferable than Boro surely ?.
Well maybe not Brentford, lol !.

I'm not taking Boro lightly at all, to be fair. I just mean we are clearly the fourth best team in the league and really shouldn't fear anyone, except maybe Fulham, who are clearly the second best team, despite where Cardiff are in the league at the moment.

We've beaten all the teams around us already this season, so if we don't get the job done by finishing second (which is a very long shot as it stands) then for me it doesn't matter who we meet in the play-offs.

As long as we don't fuck up the away leg, we should be able to take anyone at a full Villa Park, that's how I see it. Especially if we have a fully-fit squad to choose from. Best squad in the league apparently...