Villa V Brentford: Wed, 22nd Aug, 19.45 | Page 3 | Vital Football

Villa V Brentford: Wed, 22nd Aug, 19.45

One thing we need at the moment appears to be in short supply with some. Patience.

Patience with the new goal keeper.
Patience while Bruce finds a back four that works.
Patience with out of form and inexperienced wide players.
Patience with formerly injured or injured strikers.
Patience with a new central midfield partnership.

All these things make us weaker than last season at the moment, given that Bruce will play the same way as always. The good news is even under those circumsatnces, we have more points than this time last year.

Some of the above list of needs will change and we must hope that whilst we wait, results can be ground out. What made last year enjoyable on one level was the positive vibe at Villa Park. This happened because we were able to mount a challenge.

I fear the moment the crowd start jumping on players backs for mistakes. We all know that no good will come of it. I'm hoping for a battling performance and a postive response from the crowd on Wednesday but am expecting a draw.

don't care how we play as long as we win.
Cant see us losing so 3;2 to the villa.
keep us up there Bruce, good start to the season so far.

One thing we need at the moment appears to be in short supply with some. Patience.

Patience with the new goal keeper.
Patience while Bruce finds a back four that works.
Patience with out of form and inexperienced wide players.
Patience with formerly injured or injured strikers.
Patience with a new central midfield partnership.

All these things make us weaker than last season at the moment, given that Bruce will play the same way as always. The good news is even under those circumsatnces, we have more points than this time last year.

Some of the above list of needs will change and we must hope that whilst we wait, results can be ground out. What made last year enjoyable on one level was the positive vibe at Villa Park. This happened because we were able to mount a challenge.

I fear the moment the crowd start jumping on players backs for mistakes. We all know that no good will come of it. I'm hoping for a battling performance and a postive response from the crowd on Wednesday but am expecting a draw.

It happened already with Kodjia against Wigan. First half Kodjia cuts in from left and delays and then loses the ball. Cue howling and shouting from some in the crowd but was certainly more than audible.
30 seconds later the ball is on the edge of our box, Kodjia is trying to make amends has the ball at his feet and because of what just happened thinks he should pass even though there was not a pass on. Gives the ball away on the edge of our box in a dangerous area. The crowd reaction does affect players, despite what they say.

I found this interesting article (below) on Brentford and well worth a read. The lengths they go to in signing new players etc is excellent.

What's irritating about the different styles of management between Steve Bruce and "Pep" Smith:grinning: is that on paper we have better individual players than Brentford but you can guarantee Smith will have them tactically far better prepared with each player knowing his role and running their socks off playing pass and move football while we appear to make it up as we go along with tactics that don't actually suit our players.

Still, it is what it is and I don't see it changing any day soon regardless of what SB says about younger players etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...league-blog-brentford-happy-own-way-promotion

A very interesting article. Even a basic version without the statistics would be to form a style of play, a system and a formation, and buy players who fit the mould. Rather than buy a player with good statistics who can't fit into our system.

I'm afraid we'll get our noses thoroughly smashed in by Brentford. Bruceball is not going to win this.

The players need to go out there with confidence and commitment and take Brentford apart. Hope they don't read the comments on here otherwise they won't bother turning up.

I'm confident about this one.
Villa 3 - 1 Brentford
It's only Brentford, FFS.

UTV

The annoying thing is, this is the most blatantly obvious and logical statement anyne could ever say on here, but I know it won't happen.

I want round pegs in round holes and to play football as if we want to win the game, playing to our strengths.

There you go, not difficult is it, but it won't happen, and we all know it.

Personally, I would like this....

..................................Nyland (although I would have preferred Steer tbh)

..............Elmo Tuanzaebe Chester Hutton

................... ...................McGinn

Adomah..............Grealish.......Hourihane.......Green

.......................................Kodjia

With McGinn box to box, Grealish and Hourihane playng on the edge of their box picking up pieces and Adomah, Green and Kodjia getting in that box , running at the opposition and creating havoc.

I flicked on MtoD last night for about 5 minutes, I don't even know wh they were talking about, but they said, look at the players in the box - 1..2..3...4..5...6 - the opposition can't stop them, coz they don't know who to stop.

Thats what our team should be, that is what we are capable of.

But you just don't know we won't.

It will be Tuan at RB, Jedi at CB, Elmo in mid, and more of the pass pass pass pass, hoof, fall over, maybe foul , maybe not, when it is, cross, hope we score.

And we may even win like that - but surely to god, someone at the club can see that we are capable of so much more than what we are producing - and asking the question why we aren't doing it.

My way - 4-1
Bruces way - 1-1

This is the exact same squad I have. The only dilemma for me is if we start Whelan instead of Hourihane. I think we also need to play a more agressive style of football so I opted for Hourihane in the end. Having Tuan's speed at the back will help us recover when the ball gets turned over in the midfield but I want to see how our midfield trio of choice plays with freedom for a change.

Obviously, they'll be without Messi and Suarez and I think Iniesta has moved on so we might be able to hold out for the 90 mins against the Ginger Mourinho and his pass and move game.

We have better players, they have a better system.

If our better players deliver we can win easily. If we faff around with no intensity they will create chances and more than likely score.

Also Stoke are bidding for the ginger kid so that might throw him off. McGinn is probably better than him anyway.

The players should be well up for this because they must know they have been pretty woeful so far, no matter what Bruce's tactical input.

For all the worrying over Ryan Woods running the game again, it looks like he'll be sitting on the bench this time. He's not started a league game this season and they've been playing Josh McEachran in his place.

What's wrong with round pegs in square holes and vice versa? If the dimensions are right works fine. And much easier to pull a square peg out of a round hole, say, than a round peg firmly jammed in. Much more flexible.

I wonder who will be partnering Chester at the back? Currently it's a fucking merry-go-round!!!!! May be Jedinak, it could be his turn again.....:censor:

I guess Bruce will try his secret method of drawing lots and decide....i personally would like Mile up front...