Villa V Brentford: Wed, 22nd Aug, 19.45 | Vital Football

Villa V Brentford: Wed, 22nd Aug, 19.45

Thomas Holte

Vital Football Legend
We welcome Brentford FC and Villa fan, Dean Smith to Villa Park in what could be tactically an interesting game in terms of styles of management.

No room for any sentiment towards Dean as the 3 points are far more important to the Villa and Steve Bruce so good luck to the Villa boys.

Thoughts and predictions here folks (y)

Extra days rest for us so about time we out Brentford to bed. Might have been wise to have waited until today’s result to call it but I’m stupid.

I want to see us mix it up, drop Adomah - get jack out wide a bit more to get balls in.

2-1 Villa

Play well and we win. Repeat the performances we've put in so far and Brentford could very well take us to the cleaners.

I was reading a season preview looking at these a few weeks back and the fan they were talking to said that their fans like having a laugh at the clubs that sign whoever their star player is for big money then plonk them into a completely different system and watch them fail whilst Brentford just seemingly pluck another relative unknown up for cheap and keep on ticking. Whoever is doing the scouting for Brentford is doing an excellent job.

Adomah needs dropping as his form is dreadful and has been for some time now.

He gives the ball away too much and when he is on the ball going forward far too often attacks break down through his poor decision making.

Im waiting to see how they do today before making a prediction. However, sadly if you offered me a draw now i would take it with Reading to follow.

The annoying thing is, this is the most blatantly obvious and logical statement anyne could ever say on here, but I know it won't happen.

I want round pegs in round holes and to play football as if we want to win the game, playing to our strengths.

There you go, not difficult is it, but it won't happen, and we all know it.

Personally, I would like this....

..................................Nyland (although I would have preferred Steer tbh)

..............Elmo Tuanzaebe Chester Hutton

................... ...................McGinn

Adomah..............Grealish.......Hourihane.......Green

.......................................Kodjia

With McGinn box to box, Grealish and Hourihane playng on the edge of their box picking up pieces and Adomah, Green and Kodjia getting in that box , running at the opposition and creating havoc.

I flicked on MtoD last night for about 5 minutes, I don't even know wh they were talking about, but they said, look at the players in the box - 1..2..3...4..5...6 - the opposition can't stop them, coz they don't know who to stop.

Thats what our team should be, that is what we are capable of.

But you just don't know we won't.

It will be Tuan at RB, Jedi at CB, Elmo in mid, and more of the pass pass pass pass, hoof, fall over, maybe foul , maybe not, when it is, cross, hope we score.

And we may even win like that - but surely to god, someone at the club can see that we are capable of so much more than what we are producing - and asking the question why we aren't doing it.

My way - 4-1
Bruces way - 1-1

They'll probably play us off the park ,maybe if we're lucky we can scrape a 0-0.

But I'll go 2-0 Brentford, and really hope I'm eating my words Wednesday night.

Play well and we win. Repeat the performances we've put in so far and Brentford could very well take us to the cleaners.

I was reading a season preview looking at these a few weeks back and the fan they were talking to said that their fans like having a laugh at the clubs that sign whoever their star player is for big money then plonk them into a completely different system and watch them fail whilst Brentford just seemingly pluck another relative unknown up for cheap and keep on ticking. Whoever is doing the scouting for Brentford is doing an excellent job.

They use a similar system to what we tried with Almstadt & Reilly, all based on stats - dont think the manager has any input into transfers at all. After seeing how disastrous it was for us last time I'd be reluctant to go back to that approach. Although it works amazingly well for Brentford

The eternal question on here is are the players inhibited by what they are asked to do by the manager? Could they be more successful set up in a different system? The manager's recent frustration suggests he's not happy with a number of them.

However, it appears that there has been little change in the managers approach, so I guess the only way we will find out is if the team fails to be competitive and he is replaced.

We need an early goal and a positive result Wednesday night to prevent the rumblings at Villa Park becoming inhibiting. Looking forward to seeing how we cope with the best side we've faced so far.

They use a similar system to what we tried with Almstadt & Reilly, all based on stats - dont think the manager has any input into transfers at all. After seeing how disastrous it was for us last time I'd be reluctant to go back to that approach. Although it works amazingly well for Brentford

I wasn't aware of that. Well the fact remains that whoever is finding these players for next to nothing is doing a good job for them. I'm hoping with the signing of mcginn we're beginning to spot the gems rather than waiting and signing them a year or so later for 10m.

From the BBC coverage of Brentford v Sheffield Wednesday:

There has been some wonderful one and two-touch football from Brentford to move the ball and get in behind the defence.

It is a continental style of play.

I wonder if they will be saying the same about us on Wednesday night :utv::grinning:

The complete opposite to how we play. We don't do one touch football, every player needs around 5 touches as they look around wondering who to pass it to.

I saw Newport County score a goal the other day where they moved it from one end to the other, almost all one-touch football. It was a thing of beauty. A bit like Brentfords goal at Stoke recently.

Can't imagine in a million years our players moving the ball like that.

This game will certainly be a yard stick to judge us by.

And possibly a stick to beat Bruce with.

But yeah, first proper test of the season against a side who will look to score goals rather than not concede them. Might suit us better in many respects as we are not good at breaking teams down. But our record against Brentford is not pretty.

Villa Park under the lights though... :love:

They have battered us every time we've played them. Last season at home we played them early on and they were Bottom without a win having lost half the team from the previous season. It was meant to be a walk over but in the end we were lucky to get away with a 0-0. The away game was simply one of the most depressing experiences I've ever had watching villa. This team of supposed no marks who cost barely anything with their manager who they nicked from Walsall completely out did us in every conceivable way. Perhaps they're just a bogey team but we seem to have a few bogey teams that move the ball fast.