Villa V Brentford: Wed, 22nd Aug, 19.45 | Page 21 | Vital Football

Villa V Brentford: Wed, 22nd Aug, 19.45

New additions and sorting the defence out 1958-style, and I think this team is going places. Oh... and another striker ... and another keeper.

Defence 1958 style was two fullbacks and a centreback, with two winghalfs in front of them and two wingers, two inside forwards and a centreforward. More like 3-4-3. There were no substitutes and on a wet January night the ball must of weighed 20lbs.

By sorted SJH, I take it you mean the defence needs to have a leftback playing at leftback, not a rightback, a centreback playing at centreback, not a defensive midfielder and a rightback playing at rightback, not someone else's U23 reserve centreback.

That is EXACTLY what I meant 58, lol.

We can get away with Cafu at leftback, but overall it needs to be set up properly. Not sure what Bruce's plan is there, or if he has one at all. The loan window is not going to be open much longer.

Apparently the little ginger one Woods' head has gone had his mind set on a move to Swansea hence him being benched. He'd walk up to play for us . I think we should loan them Glenesta and they Loan us Woods

Probably my frustration, but I keep expecting us to outplay teams in this league and I just don’t see it. Not in a tikka takka way just in a way that we look like out scoring the opposition.

The bit that sticks in my head at the moment is Nylands save which could’ve gone anywhere and then they’ve won the game 3-1

Did you not think we were better than them for at least 60 mins Dan? I thought the energy and tempo was a lot better, and we created enough chances. Still need better delivery and decision making around the box though.

You're right, we did fade, and it could have been 3-1. Again, that's down to Bruce to address that because it's not an unfamiliar scenario.

Well having got back. The pluses Kodj back to form and looking much sharper,his all round game was a large improvement. Scraped a point when all seemed lost. First 45 mins played the best football I have seen this season. Minuses Jedi at CB lost count the number of times he got caught out of position,Axel wasnt great at RB try him at his position CB for a game or two might settle him down.cant be worse than jedi. Thought Jack was a little out of sorts, Keeper 50-50 made some good saves but palmed their second up in the air when it was straight at him.
This defence will cost us if it carries on Brentford are not going to be in the mix for auto places come the end of the season and we are going to face a lot better teams than them.

Err,,, no idea! Thank goodness we salvaged something from that. The traffic through Birmingham is a farce, 40 min journey is what it should be but they had closed all the tunnels and then Bristol Street was 3 lanes into one. What a joke our city planners are.

I'm sure we must have got the higher percentage possession, but good god do we mess around with it? Be interesting what the new signings can bring to the party, because there are a few really not doing what they should .. again.

Night all !

Our defence is so slow and clumsy
Both goals Axel all over the place and people want him at CB, I'm with Bruce on this one except he'd be on the bench, not RB.
Baffling innit - I'd ship him back tbh.
Let him learn his game somewhere else rather than cost us points.by having to play him.

Defence 1958 style was two fullbacks and a centreback, with two winghalfs in front of them and two wingers, two inside forwards and a centreforward. More like 3-4-3. There were no substitutes and on a wet January night the ball must of weighed 20lbs.

3-4-3???? Nope, it was 2-3-5. The way football should be played. Something like:

Elphick Chester

Elmo Whelan Cafu

Green McGinn Kodjia Grealish Adomah

I once tried to head one of those balls, as a 12 year old schoolboy. It knocked me flat.

3-4-3???? Nope, it was 2-3-5. The way football should be played. Something like:

Elphick Chester

Elmo Whelan Cafu

Green McGinn Kodjia Grealish Adomah

I once tried to head one of those balls, as a 12 year old schoolboy. It knocked me flat.

That’s how I remember it McP.

Could not go without a mention for the ref. For fuck sake retire Moss how he could miss half the shit that went on i will never know he seemed determined not to give us anything in the second half never mind missing the stamp on McGinn in the first half

And a boy in goal that was rubbish at football. (Maybe we just signed that boy? Sorry).

I don't get this blaming Jedinak for everything, both fullbacks were fecking awful tonight Axel cost us both goals. Hutton was poor .
Both Jedi and Chester were bricking it at the first sign of any sort of pace.
I know everybody loves Chester but he's as slow as Jedi and TBH he doesn't have Jedis skill on the ball, I can't image Chester at Defensive Midfield, I'm not defending Jedi but Bruce obviously doesn't rate Elphick and Axel would cost us even more goals in the centre.
Two mobile quick CB's are needed but we ain't going to get them so we are stuck with those two

Always Albert that comes off and Elmo is kept on, Bruce will shuffle the team to keep Elmo on who was doing nothing.

Just returned from the game. Enjoyed that. Excellent game. Superb for 70 mins. Best performance of the season by far and yet we almost had nothing to show for it. However have to say after reading through some of the comments on this thread and seeing the 'Bruce is shite' brigade throwing their toys out of the pram when we went behind on both occasions it just goes to show the bloke doesn't stand a chance. We play poorly and win.....Bruce is useless, we play poorly and draw...Bruce is useless, we play very well and go behind, Bruce has to go.....embarrassing and fickle. I saw a completely different game to some typing away on here during the 90 mins. We played the 'Barcelona Brentford' off the park for 70 mins and should have been out of sight. Fact. To even suggest Bruce should go after tonight's game is beyond me. Lots of positives, quality being added to the squad. Exciting times. Some need to get a sense of perspective.

Just returned from the game. Enjoyed that. Excellent game. Superb for 70 mins. Best performance of the season by far and yet we almost had nothing to show for it. However have to say after reading through some of the comments on this thread and seeing the 'Bruce is shite' brigade throwing their toys out of the pram when we went behind on both occasions it just goes to show the bloke doesn't stand a chance. We play poorly and win.....Bruce is useless, we play poorly and draw...Bruce is useless, we play very well and go behind, Bruce has to go.....embarrassing and fickle. I saw a completely different game to some typing away on here during the 90 mins. We played the 'Barcelona Brentford' off the park for 70 mins and should have been out of sight. Fact. To even suggest Bruce should go after tonight's game is beyond me. Lots of positives, quality being added to the squad. Exciting times. Some need to get a sense of perspective.

Yes I saw the same for 70 mins but why didn't he freshen it up when it was obvious we were tiring badly.
At times I wonder how a manager with a plan B would get this team playing.