Villa Park | Page 8 | Vital Football

Villa Park

See the “thou shalt not come within a country mile of BH” edict does not apply to Sky. What a surprise! Double standards. Poor. Another disconnect for fans who deserve a bit better.

It has been lauded nationally how good the atmosphere was last Friday night against Everton And it certainly got the hairs on the back of your neck standing up if you were lucky enough to be there.

This made me think, what are your other memorable atmospheres at the great old institution that is Villa Park.

One that stands out for me was the game in 1979 against Barcelona when we were two nil down with five minutes to go. The crowd of just under 50,000 went absolutely ballistic as the two goals went in and we pulled it back.

One of the first Sunday games against Everton also springs to mind. Even though there are only 26,000 in there the 6 - 2 victory Seemed to get everybody in full voice.

The Bolton semi-final which we won two nil I think around 2004 is also very special even though we went out on aggregate as was the Madrid game in 2001 when Collymore got that cracker. Please add your own experiences to the list

Yes it has to be that Bournemouth game for me. I think looking back it was the realisation that this was the start of our "rise from the ashes" to become Kings of Europe. Having said that I wouldn't have envied Bob Wilson the night of the Arsenal FA Cup replay in 1974 when Villa won the toss and made him defend the Holte End in front of 25000+ Villa fans baying for blood after his theatrics 4 days previously in getting Sammy Morgan sent off, I am sure we all saw his knees trembling ......great night!!!!!

Certainly been far more crap atmospheres than good one over the years I've been going. That 6-2 win over Everton that was in Friday's programme just 17,000 there utterly shite support, then you get nights like Santos and Pele and the 62000 vs United in the league cup semi, that Bournemouth game yes we are a fickle bunch.
This season we will be sold out, it's up to use to keep it going, the atmosphere against Everton was brilliant, helped by songs/chants that all 4 stands join in

Bournemouth was special and I was 7 at the time but the game against Sunderland in 1975 tops it for me. 57,000 odd was the official attendance but probably at least 5000 could be added on to that.

Sunderland bought about 15,000 fans as they needed to win to get promoted .

I was 11 and had never known anything like it.

Bournemouth was special and I was 7 at the time but the game against Sunderland in 1975 tops it for me. 57,000 odd was the official attendance but probably at least 5000 could be added on to that.

Got locked out as my Uncle refused to go early the twat

Difficult one this.The Bournemouth one was special, for the reason given by 63 above, but Man Utd League Cup semi-final pips it for me.
Fantastic night under the flood lights, and can still see dads face at only his second ever football match when the winner went in and he ended up on the floor of the Holte End as the crowd surged forward.
Add in the fact it was two days before Christmas and a first ever Wembley with the Villa in prospect and it was a memorable night.

I really struggle with things when we don't win.

McGinn v Sheff weds . Great goal but we lost.

Atl Madrid 98 . Great atmosphere but we lost.

So don't really feel fondness of memorable games or we lose

I'm struggling to think of anything i have witnessed as good as Everton last week . The sound was physically crackling.

Tranmere 94 must be close.

Last edited:

So don't really feel fondness of memorable.

I'm struggling to think of anything i have witnessed other than Everton last week . The sound was physically crackling.

Tranmere, Sunderland,atletico Madrid, Liverpool 5-1, arsenal 3-2, spurs (bozzie zaps klinsman),Chelsea(Delph winner),Leeds(magic Merse), Barcelona (3-0),man u(league cup semi), baggies (fa cup quarter final), Highbury (1981),Rotterdam 1982, Liverpool, semi-final 2015, Sunderland (promotion party), wolves 4-1,villa 3-0 man u , boxing day 1990,reds fans wanted fergie sacked.santosand Pele.ajax,inter Milan,AC Milan with their quality team, and l could go on. Glass half full or half empty.

Last edited by a moderator:

That Sunderland game was amazing Sir Dennis, I was 8 and it made an impression on me.

Would throw into the hat Blackburn when we won the semi final (2010?) and Bradford City when we were promoted under GT. that game was referred to on one of their forums as the best they’ve seen before or since and I’d struggle to argue. Possibly a 1-0 win, Warren aspinal

Ajax 2-1 and Blackburn 6-4 in the league cup were two up there for me.

In terms of league games, the best atmosphere I thought was the season where we’re top at Christmas and I seem to recall one game where we beat Spurs at home with a Dion Dublin double.

This is the best season for atmosphere I’ve ever witnessed in the league, I thought Bournemouth was very good but Everton was unbelievable.

Last edited:
Got me racking my brains now.

Inter Milan 1990 could be up there.

The noise when Kent's shot hit the net was special. As it was when Platt scored.

Barcelona - Super Cup 1982. Ken McNaught's goal took the roof off. Villa Park that night scared the **** out of the Barcelona players who'd done everything they could to cheat the win.
The 1977 Barcelona game was special too. I remember tugging at the old man's coat asking to leave when we were 2-0 down. Words I'll never forget from him: "You never leave the Villa early." Prophetic! Never have left (any) match early since.
1981 Liverpool at home. We were beginning to dare to dream. Must have been 30,000 in each side of the Holte that day!

So don't really feel fondness of memorable games or we lose

I'm struggling to think of anything i have witnessed as good as Everton last week . The sound was physically crackling.

Jees, MD, just answer the question. :p