Villa away to Blues match thread | Vital Football

Villa away to Blues match thread

The Fear

A Wise Man (once sat next to him)
Bit of talk in the Derby match thread re this game and the return of SJM.

sirdennis says he has to be straight back in the team, so Whelan would be the one to drop.

I totally disagree, he was our man of the match today and a scruffy derby game is where you want Whelan, surely?

Mcginn v Whelan v Hourihane

Good problem to have though.

Dont think you lose anything combative by leaving Whelan out. SJM is no shrinking violet. And SJM can do things higher up the pitch better than Whelan.

Whelan better in the holding role than Hourihane?. Hourihane did well in that position before Xmas but blues will press and he doesn't like being pressed. So Whelan in that role maybe better for a local derby.

Genuinely don't know !

Bit of talk in the Derby match thread re this game and the return of SJM.

sirdennis says he has to be straight back in the team, so Whelan would be the one to drop.

I totally disagree, he was our man of the match today and a scruffy derby game is where you want Whelan, surely?

Yes it's a difficult one for sure , but surely SJM would makes us stronger.

Our man of the match today wouldn't make us weaker would he? Keeps the ball better, SJM has a great engine, he does give the ball away easier than Whelan (when on form) though.

Difficult one, but can't really see why you would change the starting line up after they all gave so much, what sort of message would that be to players?

Really difficult decision re the starting XI next week. Think McGinn has to return, consistently our best player in many games this season. I'd drop Hourihane despite his two goals and general play being so much better today. However in the red hot atmosphere of a derby I'd rather go with the likes of Whelan and McGinn who will always stand up and be counted. As I said in today's match thread I thought Whelan was outstanding. We all know that Conor can blow hot and cold and shirk a challenge or two and we can't afford to let him have 'one of those days' next week. Bit harsh I know but McGinn has been so good this season I'd have to start him. Knowing our luck Grealish will pick up an injury in training this week so all the debáte will be meaningless!!

Easy for me SJM and Grealish are our best 2 players that leaves one place as the defensive midfielder and the best we have at that is Whelan especially when the going gets tough against the animals from Sty Andrews.

I agree that McGinn has probably been our best midfielder this season, but it would be very, very harsh on any of today's team to miss out (apart from Elphick, obviously).

We're not talking about Lionel Messi here. McGinn's indiscipline has cost him his place, and after a performance like that from Hourihane and Whelan, they have every right to expect to start.

No point changing a winning team gives the wrong message to players who performed well. McGinn would be a great player to come of the bench after Jack plays 70 mins or so, he’s bound to be kicked from pilar to post.

See. I don't care about this sends the wrong message out at all.

It's a team/squad game and the little darlings need to just suck it up if they get dropped I'm afraid. It happens .

In the modern game you have to tweak and adapt on a game by game basis. Not wholesale changes but just to suit the game. The top teams do.

And for this game for the greater good of the team and club I think SJM should come back in.

Tough on Hourihane (who I think should make way) but that's life .

Let's hope today is not our Wolves moment of this season - i.e. please, dear McGrath, don't let us follow this up with the QPR-style display in the next match.

Gulp!!

Fortunately, midfield maestro Gary Gardner is ineligible against us. What a relief.

And whilst we talk about the issues we might have making selections for midfield, we should not forget that their midfield will be weakened by the loss of one of their consistent performers as he cannot play against his parent club??