v Hearts . | Page 2 | Vital Football

v Hearts .

Agree with you about blooding our young players in domestic games, wee_od. However, there is currently very little genuine talent (future stars in the making) coming through our youth development squads.

Our KPI's and VFM in youth development terms are shocking.
You can throw all the money you want at it and have the best facilities around, by some considerable distance, but it will mean the square root of feck all if you don't have those rare people who can spot a player. All the available evidence says we don't have any of those - and having even one of those guys on your books is better than all the coaching badges on earth.

Where has McGeough been?He was supposed to be a rising talent and we have seen little of him this year.

Good performance thus far despite a lack of end product.

Mason in black being a MIB.

On McGeouch, he excels in an attacking central midfield role.
Lenny doesn't play with an attacking midfielder...

I think Dylan has been our biggest loss in terms of young talent.

Done OK so far but it's difficult when they have so many men back behind the ball, sitting so deep and just trying to defend for the whole game.

Good goal by KC, well finished and a brilliant pass from Brown. Now hopefully more to come! Still feel like this is the sort of game made for a target man like Balde.....

Why did Biton go off at HT? Hopefully not another injury was it?

AWWW shit.....Samaras is on! :(

TicV"Establishment" - 21/12/2013 13:13

This is also why I worry about young Rogic! Seemingly an immense talent who has been unfortunate with injury this season but he is best sitting behind the striker. McGeouch can play CM and does for Scotland U21s...we should give him the chance.

wee_od_88 - 21/12/2013 14:06

This is also why I worry about young Rogic! Seemingly an immense talent who has been unfortunate with injury this season but he is best sitting behind the striker. McGeouch can play CM and does for Scotland U21s...we should give him the chance.

Rogic couldn't lace McGeouch's boots in terms of god given talent but he'll happily sit and be unadventurous and pretty ineffective when given the chance. Lenny has refused to play McGeouch in CM, and starts (which are themselves rarer than hens teeth) or subs appearances Lenny has always insisted on playing him in a wide position. Inexplicable.

TicV"Establishment" - 21/12/2013 14:45

wee_od_88 - 21/12/2013 14:06

Rogic couldn't lace McGeouch's boots in terms of god given talent but he'll happily sit and be unadventurous and pretty ineffective when given the chance. Lenny has refused to play McGeouch in CM, and starts (which are themselves rarer than hens teeth) or subs appearances Lenny has always insisted on playing him in a wide position. Inexplicable.

Not seen enough of Rogic yet but based on what Lennon and pretty much everyone in Oz is saying about him.....he's quite a talent himself. What he has to learn is an overall game and not just going forward. MccGeouch has had to learn that and for my mind he has learnt it. He's not a winger because I don't think he has out and out pace quite like Forrest, that's why he suits that central position and he is a goal threat or can at least create a threat.

We are wasting talent at this club and I think everyone is getting sick of it! :emoticon:22

Callum McGregor is on loan at Notts County at the moment and he is absolutely flying down there! Again he is played in more of an CAM role, something we don't use. He is creating and scoring some stunning goals, impressing everyone and getting the valuable first team experience he needs. I hope to god that he comes back and Lennon actually uses him.

Jackson Irvine was very impressive in pre-season and has gone to Kilmarnock and done quite well, again he is capable of playing SPFL football so could come back and play if Lennon chooses to use him.

Marcus Fraaser has shown a lot of promise, unfortunately he has been injured and is working his way back. He is back training with the first team but he needs games so I expect that once ready he will have to go out on loan. What's worrying is that we could lose a talented young player like that because of that injury, as has happened so often with us!

Twardzik (in my opinion) has shown he can play at SPFL level, if not higher but again injury has forced him to miss A LOT of time and unfortunately I fear he won't make it here.

Lewis Toshney is another who was on loan last season and has proved to be good enough but injury has forced him to miss out.

Paul George was a player on the brink of bursting onto the first team scene but injury scuppered it and it seems he hasn't yet made his way back to those heights but he is another naturally talented player we should be getting through.
Lewis Kidd is supposed to be a naturally talented midfielder we are yet to see.
John Herron has been around our U19s/U20s for ages now and he is still a good player but just doesn't quite seem to be ready for the first team.

Liam Henderson is probably the one player I've been really impressed by and I think he is naturally talented enough and already proving to be good enough that he could come in and play for our first team if required....Lennon just needs to start giving him the chance!

That's what it comes down to.....we have good players, we just don't give them the opportunities early enough or often enough. This season is the season to do it. Everyone else is.....We have no more European football, we know we are going to win the league, whether it's by a huge margin or not I couldn't give a shit, IF we are using the youth players to do it!

Great info, mate.

I've always maintained that cream will rise to the top, but there is an argument to be made that we have failed to use that cream ( certainly of the central midfield variety, at any rate) under Lenny.

Henderson could finally be that CM from what I've seen of him and he certainly seems to be one that Lennon is willing to include and use (occasionally).

I would tend to agree with you about the cream.......however as I think Dundee Utd are proving, you have to play them first! The cream should be rising to the top in our U20s.....if they can make it to the U20s they should be capable of playing in the SPFL and as a sub in the CL. Now we are trying to fast-track some of our players to the U20s where we have some who are not ready for the first team because they are only 16, 17 or 18 years old but by the time they are 19 I feel they should be regular subs for the first team and getting the occasional start.

You also cannot expect that after only one game, no matter how bad they play....that there is enough evidence to judge them and tell if they can make it.

I made a point of watching both of them during the game against Barca U19s. Henderson was like Brown in his younger days in that he was a box to box midfielder and was a great attacker. Henderson was creating chances, hitting shots from distance and generally making the team click, really impressive!

Johnstone - bit of a different type of striker compared to what we usually produce. First time I saw him, he looked like a bit of a giant next to the opposition but seen him since and he doesn't look that big. Still a bit taller than our usual young strikers but he has some cracking movement, he's quick and strong and he's got some good skill too! Really quite impressive. If he can find the end product he could be a hit. I know he's played in more of a midfield role as well, playing on the wing. Even if he does make it to our first team, I still don't think he will be a Gary Hooper number of goals type striker for us....but then we have McMullan who looks like he could be that striker for us! The two of them together could be a good combination!

Ha! Brilliant and damned good choice of Pogues music, too! :emoticon:01 :emoticon:01 :emoticon:01 :emoticon:01

Hi Ghuys .... just popped in to wish you all a very Hoopy Christmas and an even Hoopier New Year ......... Hail Hail ...... :emoticon:14 :emoticon:07 :emoticon:07 :emoticon:07

Merry Christmas Bhoys!

Wish you all the best at this wonderful time of year!

Here's to a good Celtic festive period and a good Celtic New Year!

HAIL HAIL!

Latest Celtic News