v Hearts . | Vital Football

v Hearts .

wishaw bhoy

Vital Champions League
Early kick off for our trip to Tynecastle for a match that will lose none of it's appeal despite the home side being forced to blood a young side which in fairness have performed very well ...... not aware of any major doubts for us and the concern over Lustig will effectively scupper his chances with CL match day one next up and Matthews fit again ..... a trip to Gorgie always whets the appetite and tomorrow will be no different regardless of the home sides off field difficulties ..... we should win the match and I fully expect us to prevail .... just hope we can avoid injuries in the process . :emoticon:01 :emoticon:01 :emoticon:01

Should be a sound thumping. I hope Lenny avoids injuries, too. :emoticon:11 :emoticon:10 :emoticon:10 :emoticon:10

We have injury concerns but I fully expect us to win tomorrow. Lennon has told them he doesn't want anyone holding back before the CL game in midweek.

Although Lustig played against the Republic, it seems he didn't play for Sweden against Kazakhstan. Not sure if that was injury or just doing us a favour and not risking him. Regardless, NL says he is fit and ready.

Forrest missed the Macedonia game for Scotland through injury and Lennon has confirmed he will not be travelling to Milan.

Moyoukolo is one of the unluckiest men in football. He was training on Monday and probably would have started tomorrow but he went for the ball in training and they heard a "pop" and he has been for an op in France, he has ruptured his Achilles tendon and is looking at being out for 6 months! As is the Celtic way, NL has stated that we will be supporting him back to fitness!

Ledley has an ongoing hip problem but will travel (not sure if that is to Tynecastle or if he is simply talking Milan).

Nir Biton still hasn't had all of the documents through to allow him his work permit and so he is still unavailable but he has also been away with Israel on international duty and is to meet up with the team in Milan it seems.

Pukki is in the squad but considering he has only had 1 day training with the team, there is almost certainly no chance of him starting.

Scott Brown and Charlie Mulgrew may be suffering with a bit of fatigue and NL may not want to push them too hard before Milan. Both played the full 180 mins for Scotland against Belgium and Macedonia.

I expect a strong but cautious team from Lennon tomorrow.

Forster
Lustig - Ambrose - VVD - Izzy/Mulgrew
Matthews - Kayal - Brown - Derk
Stokes - Commons

Subs: Zaluska, Balde, Pukki, McGeouch, Mulgrew/Izzy, Ledley, Rogic

I don't know how ready Izzy will be after international duty so Mulgrew could start at LB but if Izzy is fit and ready, I expect only one of Mulgrew and Brown to start the game and I think they will probably be replaced during the game as well, try and keep them fit and fresher for Milan.

I could see Stokes and Balde up front and maybe even Rogic in central midfield with Brown right. We really need to put this one away early and get out better players on the bench.

Celtic team to face Hearts:

Forster; Lustig, Ambrose, Van Dijk, Izaguirre; Matthews, Brown, Ledley, Boerrigter; Commons, Stokes

subs: Zaluska, Samaras, Balde, Rogic, Pukki, Mulgrew, Atajic

My starting line-up was only one player out! I thought Kayal was back fit now.

Anyway, good strong line-up today. I think with a team like that......all 3 points should be coming home with us!

My one main concern is that we essentially have 4 strikers on the bench, an attacking midfielder a CM/CB/LB and the GK.

It's a strong bench but it's overloaded. Should we get injuries, it's not great and it could put a bit of strain on the likes of Lustig, Ambrose, Brown and Ledley who all played international football during the break and have or have had knocks.

Not great from us at times yesterday but we weathered the storm from Hearts and deserved the win!

The second goal was superb link up between Sammy winning the first header and then Commons with the header in behind the defence and a great run from Stokes to be on the end of it and a good finish!

The third goal was another stunner. Pukki did well to keep himself in a good position in the box but the skill to beat defenders from Stokes and then rather than the easy pass which would have been easily read, he scoops the ball and it's an easy first goal for Pukki, fantastic stuff!

Matthews was a bit more precautionary because he took two knocks to the same ankle and was feeling it a wee bit I believe.

VVD is looking like a very useful replacement for Wilson. He has the skill and ability to move up the pitch, still working on the physical side of his game and his tackling and positioning but he has pace so he can always get back well to try and fix mistakes which is good!

Until Stokes took control of the game in the second half, I thought VvD was man of the match. But Stokes's second goal was nice and that pass to Pukki was amazing. VvD was our best defender for sure. His head finds every ball.

Until Stokes took control of the game in the second half, I thought VvD was man of the match. But Stokes's second goal was nice and that pass to Pukki was amazing. VvD was our best defender for sure. His head finds every ball.

Another home game against an Edinburgh club for the second week in a row!

Hearts are the visitors this time....we thumped them 7-0 on their own turf in the cup....now lets do it on our turf!

A few injury problems for the game. We are without Mulgrew, Kayal, McGeouch, Lustig, Mouyokolo, Boeriggter.

Hopefully Lennon will mix things up a little bit. I don't think it will be quite as easy as a couple of weeks ago. Maybe even give Balde another chance? Hearts are bottom of the league and even without the points deduction they'd probably be down there. They are a young, inexperienced team and quite honestly....they're terrible! They are also so short of players because of injury that they are naming U19s on the bench just to fill the spots! If Lennon can't play Balde against this Hearts team, he won't play against anyone!

I'd like to see:

Forster
Fisher - Ambrose - VVD - Izzy
Brown - Biton - Ledley
Commons - Rogic
Balde

but I think we will see the same team that started against Hibs. Pukki, Stokes and Commons up front. Matthews will probably start at RB.

Forrest and Rogic are back and available after recovering from injury but I don't think either would be ready to start (although I really want to see more of Rogic).

Celtic team to play Hearts:

Forster; Fisher, Ambrose, van Dijk, Izaguirre; Commons, Brown, Biton, Ledley; Stokes, Pukki

subs: Zaluska, Samaras, Balde, Henderson, Forrest, Atajic, O'Connell

Delighted to see Fisher start again. No Matthews even on the bench....not sure why, maybe illness or something.

Quite a young bench which is also quite good, just hope they get their chances today!

For those wondering about O'Connell

Eoghan O'Connell
Central defender, O’Connell comes from Cork and became an important part of the U20 set last season with Marcus Fraser suffering a long term injury. He worked his way into the starting XI and made the position his own, often wearing the captain's armband on occasions as well.

Personally I'm surprised it wasn't Findlay who came in to fill a defensive position on the bench.

I think if necessary, Biton would be capable of filling in at the back as well. Expect us to sign a CB in January! Although I still don't see why we can't use our youth players!

I read a disturbing fact the other day.....John Souttar of Dundee United has now made more appearances for the first team, at the age of only 17 btw than all the Scottish U21 players at Celtic combined........I think that's ridiculous! We need to get this sorted!

Latest Celtic News