Trippier not good enough - again.. | Page 6 | Vital Football

Trippier not good enough - again..

There are so many factors involved. The cross could be turned into a great cross by the movement and understanding of teammates. How many times have we seen a cross put in and nobody goes for it. A good cross for me is putting it into an area of danger and uncertainty. If it drops over the shoulder onto our strikers foot it's fantastic but how many times do you see that ?
I prefer Tripps putting in diagonal balls , it seems to create more uncertainty and provoke mistakes.

Will the cross draw the keeper out or force him to stay back? Disguise on trajectory, a dipper, an outwsinger or inswinger. Delivered with pace or a floater.

If a cross goes into the box and troubles the defence and our attackers have a chance of getting on the end of it then it's acceptable I guess. If it hits the first man or is overhit it's not acceptable. But we see it very often in the game, not just our players.

Which is why I made the point it can't be as easy as some think. For most players that is. Hoddle and Beckham it seemed to come easy buy how often do players like that come along. Actually Harry Kane can cross a ball if he don't want to shoot. !!

Tripps at Burnley was excellent at crossing the ball.

Have always questioned his mentality at the highest level for us.

Yup saw one of Hudds pin point forward balls, dropped on the attackers foot. He still sees the picture in front of him before anyone else.
He is actually a player that would have had a far more impactful career at a higher level had Poch got him young. He needed to be absolutely flogged to get rid if body fat and increase mobility. Should have been way better than he was

There are so many factors involved. The cross could be turned into a great cross by the movement and understanding of teammates. How many times have we seen a cross put in and nobody goes for it. A good cross for me is putting it into an area of danger and uncertainty. If it drops over the shoulder onto our strikers foot it's fantastic but how many times do you see that ?
I prefer Tripps putting in diagonal balls , it seems to create more uncertainty and provoke mistakes.

Will the cross draw the keeper out or force him to stay back? Disguise on trajectory, a dipper, an outwsinger or inswinger. Delivered with pace or a floater.

If a cross goes into the box and troubles the defence and our attackers have a chance of getting on the end of it then it's acceptable I guess. If it hits the first man or is overhit it's not acceptable. But we see it very often in the game, not just our players.

Which is why I made the point it can't be as easy as some think. For most players that is. Hoddle and Beckham it seemed to come easy buy how often do players like that come along. Actually Harry Kane can cross a ball if he don't want to shoot. !!

It doesn't drop onto a striker's foot because the defender is usually in the way, so the aim should be to drag the defender into areas they don't want to go. One way is to create an overload on one side and give the defender a decision to make, stay with his opponent or go towards the ball. But you are right good movement, understanding and the quality of the pass/cross are key requirements of what could potentially follow.

You don't need to be a Hoddle or a Beckham to put good crosses in, especially at the elite level our players find themselves.

It doesn't drop onto a striker's foot because the defender is usually in the way, so the aim should be to drag the defender into areas they don't want to go. One way is to create an overload on one side and give the defender a decision to make, stay with his opponent or go towards the ball. But you are right good movement, understanding and the quality of the pass/cross are key requirements of what could potentially follow.

You don't need to be a Hoddle or a Beckham to put good crosses in, especially at the elite level our players find themselves.

The general quality of crosses in the PL has for sometime been woeful - surprisingly this is the root of the statistical trend for a drop in goals from cross balls.

Interestingly the clubs that do tend to score more in the PL from crosses/set-pieces nearly all lay in the bottom third.

It's the consistency and success rate that the two players I mention are known for. A good cross can be put in but how often ? I think Tripps is better than most and that is why I would try and iron out his brain fades before ditching him.

Interestingly the clubs that do tend to score more in the PL from crosses/set-pieces nearly all lay in the bottom third.

This has been true for a while. Seem to recall a few years ago it was Palace and West Ham who had the highest number of goals from crosses, and were both among the worst goalscoring teams in the league.

Truth...shows you that if you give a dude a chance and a run of games...they can surprise you.

I wonder sometimes how many great players we have wasted or ruined over the years simply because they are never given a significant run. Jansen is the first that comes to mind, but Llorente may all in that boat as well.

I know I focus on Kane never being sub'd out and hell even bringing him on in slop time when the game is secure. We are paying that price now with Kane taking a knock.
I wonder how many players we've given a chance over the years that didn't take it.

Trippier’s troubles continue

Kieran Trippier has had a very poor season for Tottenham. Whether that’s because of a World Cup hangover, exhaustion, or what, he simply has not been good enough for Pochettino’s side.

His crossing, usually his best attribute, was way off on Sunday, as were his set pieces. The nadir, though, was of course his penalty miss. Had he scored that it would have been 2-1 and Spurs would have been in with a shout.

However, he thrashed it wide and Tottenham found it hard to break Palace down in the second half. He’s not a bad player, by any means, but even he must acknowledge that he has dipped well below his usual standards of late.

Still baffled as to why in the hell is he taking the Pen anyway....?

When you look at the 10 outfield players on the pitch at the time, it was really down to Trippier, Vertonghen or Llorente. With Dier and Moura missing penalties in the week and youngsters like Foyth, KWP, Skipp, Sanchez and Nkoudou in the side, that didn't leave many options. Vertonghen was obviously withdrawn at half time meaning he was probably carrying a knock at that point in the game anyway.

That left Llorente and Trippier. Isn't it a shame that your RB has to show the minerals to step up and take the penalty but your centre forward won't take them?

As for the rest of the game, Trippier was simply awful. I'd rather have Foyth out of position ahead of him at RB based on his current form.

I think I've lost all patience with Tripps - I hope someone still thinks he'd good and puts in an offer so we can rip their arms off.