Transfer Window - Summer 2021 | Page 173 | Vital Football

Transfer Window - Summer 2021

3 things needed to happen....

Kane needed to stay.

ALOT of chaff needed to be off'd.

Some new promising young talents needed to come in.

You can nitpick the positions of strength & weakness all you want, but until you see them in the new group 7 in the new coach's schemes, it's all voodoo.

I think had Kane gone, some other things would have NEEDED to happen, however, because of Spurs' concrete stance on Kane' valuation, he was really never going anywhere. Undeniably Spurs were exploring options should that occur, but once it was clear that Citeh was coming nowhere close to the required funds, Spurs went ahead with the remainder of the window building around Kane/Son/Dele.

Some seeds were sown for later deals.

Overall the 3 bits I listed above were achieved, and frankly Romero & Gil are players I didn't think would be available. Two really really good signings.

Juries out on the rest, but getting rid of nearly every player we needed to, has got to push this into the Win column.

Also, we sold Sissoko below value, and ripped up Serge's contract for nothing. These are new times indeed.

Really positive biz overall methinks. 👍.

Considering where we were in June, I think we've had a very good window. My 2 wishes were 1). get rid of those squad players who just aren't up to it, 2). get in some young players to boost and regenerate the squad

On the first point, the likely 10 candidates on most people's lips were Winks, Toby, Dier, Aurier, Sanchez, Sissoko, Lamela, Doherty, Hart, CCV. 6 of those are gone, 2 look so far like different players, 1 is home grown in an area we don't have much depth, and the other was only signed last year.
That is good going.

The second point was made more difficult by not having the cash from selling Kane. But we have a younger, more reliable goalkeeper in Gollini as a potential successor to Lloris (the only player over 30 in our squad). Gazzaniga (29) permanently moved on too.
Emerson (22) taking Aurier's (28) spot.
A reportedly top CB in Romero (23) added
Skipp (20) returning to take Sissoko's spot (32).
A potential future star in midfield to join next year in Sarr (18)
Lamela replaced by Bryan (20) who so far looks ever so promising.
Sessegnon(21) returning from loan to be integrated and likely played in cup competitions.
That is also good going.

If Tanganga keeps his form up and Emerson hits the ground running then I wouldn't be surprised if Doherty is looking a for a new club in January for the sake of his career.
Winks maybe the same if he isn't getting game time. But that remains dependent upon the question marks over Lo Celso and NDombele. If those 2 once more have indifferent seasons then I will be adding them to the list of players to move on.
Add Bergwijn to that list too if things don't start to click for him.

Areas of weakness in the squad;
a) depth in centre of midfield - big season for NDombele and Lo Celso for us to know if we can rely on them. Would have liked to see another traditional CM brought in.
b) depth of goal scorers - Big season for Bergwijn. Would have liked to see another forward brought in.

Other positive news from the summer;
Levy partially stepping away and a top Director of Football being employed in Paratici.
The manager situation was sorted. So far Nuno has been a breath of fresh air.
Kane stayed.
Son signed a new deal.
Sent a bunch of young players out on loan. We are finally going back down that route again of allowing our youth players to get senior experience.

Also, be patient. I recall the general consensus last summer was that we had had a fantastic window. Look how that turned out.

Last edited:
I'm desperately disappointed that we didn't manage to, and on the face of it didn't even seem to try to sign a quality AM during the window. Somebody clearly thinks that we are going to get more out of Lo Celso than we've seen so far, I wont be holding my breath. Our entire window seems to have been defensively obsessed, yet the defence we already had have played 270 minutes this season, including ninety against City, without conceding a goal. The window seems to be a clear indicator of the type of football we will be watching this season, certainly not the Spurs way as indicated by Daniel previously.

It's been a great window on shifting the tripe.

Getting rid of Gaz, Aurier, Sissoko, Lamela in one window is great. Only one survived who I wanted gone, Dier. But he looks a different beast so far under Nuno.

Our signings are a different discussion. I love the fact we have reduced the age of the squad. Have been gagging for this for years.

I think Gil is a massive talent. He has a skill set nobody else has in our squad. He will have to get used to the physical side but I think he will. City have dozens of players like him and most have adjusted.

The rest of the signings I'm unsure of as I don't know much about them. I have never been a fan of signing everyone from different leagues. It's rarely worked for us so massive gamble.

I would give a 9/10 for selling 6/10 for signings. Hopefully that will change by the new year.

Not really when we should have signed him last season before the big boys came knocking. It was the problem with the previous management. Anyone who knows football knew he was destined for big things.

And the top 4 clubs in europe have been speaking to his advisors for the last few years, last year promise was made, he was never ever a target we could get.

This from someone who believed we'll get top 4 regardless of the window:
  • Manager: 5/10 - 10/10 for getting Nuno, 0/10 for the time it took.
  • Kane: 3/10 - Should have been resolved before the Euros with a clear price set and deadline. Let's see how long it takes him to start playing.
  • Outgoing: 7/10 - Great clearout, but we still have 3 RBs(or 5 CBs) and 3 LBs, Clarke still here and both Winks/Ndombele are here.
  • Incomings: 5/10 - Only one player ready for starting role, the rest are for the future (Sarr/Gil) or a deadline day mystery. We desperately needed a DM or another CM.
  • Homegrown: 0/10 - Not a single homegrown talent purchased, which needs addressing.

It's a 4/10 for me.

Last edited:
I meant which player are you talking about?

Just about the hottest young property in France; the big clubs have been all over him for years Eduardo Camavinga - RM have coughed up (with add on's) nearly $40 mill for him, he's 17.

Thinking we had a chance of getting him is naive, to say the least. There wasn't an agent or a club in Europe that wasn't aware of what he was destined for, we were not even on his long list, let alone his shortlist.

This from someone who believed we'll get top 4 regardless of the window:
  • Manager: 10/10 for getting Nuno, 0/10 for the time it took.
  • Kane: 3/10 - Should have been resolved before the Euros with a clear price set and deadline. Let's see how long it takes him to start playing.
  • Outgoing: 7/10 - Great clearout, but we still have 3 RBs(or 5 CBs) and 3 LBs, Clarke still here and both Winks/Ndombele are here.
  • Incomings: 5/10 - Only one player ready for starting role, the rest are for the future (Sarr/Gil) or a deadline day mystery. We desperately needed a DM or another CM.
  • Homegrown: 0/10 - Not a single homegrown talent purchased, which needs addressing.

It's a 4/10 for me.

You've scored 25/50.

So it should be 5/10 😁👍

Just about the hottest young property in France; the big clubs have been all over him for years Eduardo Camavinga - RM have coughed up (with add on's) nearly $40 mill for him, he's 17.

Thinking we had a chance of getting him is naive, to say the least. There wasn't an agent or a club in Europe that wasn't aware of what he was destined for, we were not even on his long list, let alone his shortlist.

It's like when Ozil moved to Madrid for something tiny like £7mill. Tonnes of clubs could have afforded him but he only wanted to go to the elite.