Transfer speculation | Page 196 | Vital Football

Transfer speculation

Sad, but I don't think we can stretch to paying a lot of players unrealistically high salaries to sign them ahead of League One teams.

Perhaps this actually puts us in a better position to tempt Bonne or another quality player.
Really hope we don’t sign Bonne having read some Charlton fans opinions of him - the majority think he’s useless

Graham has only scored 14 league goals in his career, 12 of those for Gills. Hope they aren't expecting a prolific scorer. He should be able to provide a good number of assists, as we know.

Really hope we don’t sign Bonne having read some Charlton fans opinions of him - the majority think he’s useless
He may be better suited to being a big fish in a smaller pond. He did well for them in his first stint in the Championship. I do find Charlton fans to be overly critical as well, they still see themselves as a premier league club!

I'm slight sceptical about him too. Like Piggot, played for two high level League 1 teams (yes, Charlton are high level, like it or not) and did not set either on fire.

As I sad before there must an Akinibiyi like striker, kicking his heels in a Premier or Championship reserve team who has the ability to shine in League 2 for decent price.

I hate to be harsh, this is what I thought a recruitment department was for, to dig out gems, not just sign players on their previous reputation, which it appears most of the strikers linked to club have been scouted

I'm slight sceptical about him too. Like Piggot, played for two high level League 1 teams (yes, Charlton are high level, like it or not) and did not set either on fire.

As I sad before there must an Akinibiyi like striker, kicking his heels in a Premier or Championship reserve team who has the ability to shine in League 2 for decent price.

I hate to be harsh, this is what I thought a recruitment department was for, to dig out gems, not just sign players on their previous reputation, which it appears most of the strikers linked to club have been scouted
One spotters fan said he was bad in 2 spells for them, went 40 odd games without scoring, “(he just can’t finish”) continually caught offside, and also has an attitude problem! I would steer clear personally.

He may be better suited to being a big fish in a smaller pond. He did well for them in his first stint in the Championship. I do find Charlton fans to be overly critical as well, they still see themselves as a premier league club!
With respect Cuxton, our guys didn't hold back at all - both with the players or the manager - during the first half of last season - and probably rightly so although there was not that much sympathy shown given the financial mire we were at the time. There were times when I felt the same way but fortunately, I was unable to log into the forum for a good while otherwise I would have joined in with the citicism, Thankfully I am now able to voice my opinion again and luckily we are in a far more fortunate place these days..... but if someone has a stinker of a game, I do fear I may still - with some respect - voice my unhappiness in one thread or another. Here's hoping to a top season and no need for recriminations.

Last edited:
Lewis Browning is reporting (and I have heard this from someone else), that wages are a stumbling block with Bonne and we are refusing to budge.

I am not against us being smart when it comes to our business, but it does beg the question - why allow him to be seen at an open training session in our kit? As far as I could see and have heard; he didn't get involved in the session and had fitness testing earlier in the day.

It makes the club look a bit silly if he doesn't now sign. Keep him inside the building and keep it under wraps surely?

I get the wage thing but we keep missing out on the striker we need so is it we are way too short on the offers or are they stupidly high demands .....?

Lewis Browning is reporting (and I have heard this from someone else), that wages are a stumbling block with Bonne and we are refusing to budge.

I am not against us being smart when it comes to our business, but it does beg the question - why allow him to be seen at an open training session in our kit? As far as I could see and have heard; he didn't get involved in the session and had fitness testing earlier in the day.

It makes the club look a bit silly if he doesn't now sign. Keep him inside the building and keep it under wraps surely?
Not really, some fans need to stop being so precious. The club should not pay over the odds just to appease supporters who are flapping over the striker situation. Frustrating maybe, but the club imo are trying their hardest to secure the right man at the right price.

I cant believe his agent/our recruitment team haven't talked about a number before getting him to the club. Unless we thought get him through the door and hope charm offensive works

Not really, some fans need to stop being so precious. The club should not pay over the odds just to appease supporters who are flapping over the striker situation. Frustrating maybe, but the club imo are trying their hardest to secure the right man at the right price.

I’m not arguing that we should break the bank and pay whatever players/agents want.

I’m saying why allow a guy that wasn’t on the grass, to be spotted in a Gills kit and raise expectation. I just think it’s silly PR from the club.

None of us know he is asking for could be 8-10k a week everyone would be moaning like F### if we paid that and he was a JET.
The Club is being run the right way and we have to trust in them to make the right decisions