Transfer speculation | Page 198 | Vital Football

Transfer speculation

What I find a bit strange is that apparently we were competitive enough on wages to get close to signing May but now wages seem to be an issue with Bonne. I know that we clearly won’t rate Bonne as highly as May, but it’s still quite a big gap in the narrative. Are we offering enough or aren’t we ?
I’d assume Bonne is on similar to May, he definitely would have been earning more before Mays move to Charlton.

What I find a bit strange is that apparently we were competitive enough on wages to get close to signing May but now wages seem to be an issue with Bonne. I know that we clearly won’t rate Bonne as highly as May, but it’s still quite a big gap in the narrative. Are we offering enough or aren’t we ?

From what I have heard, his agent has caught wind of what we were prepared to offer May, and is holding out for this. Supposedly £7k a week.

I’d assume Bonne is on similar to May, he definitely would have been earning more before Mays move to Charlton.
Depends what other offers they get, and where from, everyone know’s we’ve got a bit of cash and dare I suggest, they may (pun intended) be taking the pee a little in order to get higher wages elsewhere at a higher level. Play one off against the other until one side says no.

Glad we’re being sensible to be honest.

Let’s not forget we haven’t loaned anyone yet either. I think a very very competitive squad could well be completed with a few decent loan additions.

What’s enough ?
We literally have no idea what the demands of an individual player is.
As we know, many players in the championship are on serious money.
If a player has been making £20k a week, it’s a tough one.
Mainly because they are already bloody rich.
Cheltenham are not really good payers so May would have been achievable, in my opinion.
May was also under contract at Cheltenham, and wanted by Derby, Charlton and an unnamed Championship side.

Bonne, as a comparison, has been released, is without a team and is effectively a triallist at a League Two club. However, he still can not be forced to accept our highest offer or sign a contract. Having a recruitment team only identifies possibilities and reports on them but they are not employed for their powers of persuasion.

I had heard Charlton had several players on 10k per week a couple of seasons ago.

Tough nut to crack taking a couple of K a week pay cut, with no wages coming in since he last contract ended.

I just want us to be sensible and it looks like we are being that

Reactions: PuB
If Bonne is that good how come with three days to the start of the season he is still training with us. Don't any bigger clubs want him?. He could well find himself with no choice but to take whatever we offer.

Moving the goal posts and pricing him out of a deal, smacks of, I don't really fancy it here but will if the offer is too good to turn down

If Bonne is that good how come with three days to the start of the season he is still training with us. Don't any bigger clubs want him?. He could well find himself with no choice but to take whatever we offer.

Possibly because they are asking for unrealistic wages. I think I read somewhere that Orient wanted him back, but decided against it due to the wage demands and went for Pigott instead.

I have been wondering if young Harry Bridle might have thrown a spanner in the works the other night?
Perhaps he might be ready in the not too distant future?
In which case going with high quality loan deals might have a real appeal.

I have been wondering if young Harry Bridle might have thrown a spanner in the works the other night?
Perhaps he might be ready in the not too distant future?
In which case going with high quality loan deals might have a real appeal.
Doubt it

Hopefully he'll get a loan at a decent level

Doubt it

Hopefully he'll get a loan at a decent level
Matty and Bradley broke through at a similar age .Two and almost 3 against Sittingbourne isn't all that.But it means he isn't miles away.
Getting in a winger of real quality on a permanent deal might be a better route?
Giving this lad a early route to 1st team could be very financially lucrative.

As a side note, I was speaking to someone who works at Millwall last night.
He was genuinely amazed we got Malone. He said Rowett was actually quite keen to re-sign him and had interest from the two leagues above us.
He also said their young winger, Emakhu I think, would be a fantastic loan signing at this level but it depends on whether Millwall have plans for him to be involved in their first team squad this year as he has been very good in pre-season.
He said Harris is still very much liked and respected there so a good relationship for the club to have.

As a side note, I was speaking to someone who works at Millwall last night.
He was genuinely amazed we got Malone. He said Rowett was actually quite keen to re-sign him and had interest from the two leagues above us.
He also said their young winger, Emakhu I think, would be a fantastic loan signing at this level but it depends on whether Millwall have plans for him to be involved in their first team squad this year as he has been very good in pre-season.
He said Harris is still very much liked and respected there so a good relationship for the club to have.

I think I read the other day that they’d decided on loaning out Emakhu.

If Bonne signs, great.

If he's asking for too much money, I'd back the club 100% and move on. He definitely carries more than enough risk for me to hold the line on.

At this stage, I have to be frank - I think I'd start the season with what we have and evaluate it before dipping into the loan market. I'm naturally disappointed we don't have it nailed down yet, but that's the reality competing for higher calibre players with L1 suitors. Fair play to the team - they've been ambitious but I hope we don't overplay our hand late in the day.

There are going to be a plethora of talented young, south east-based players who will become available in the next couple of weeks. If I'm a PL or Championship team with a top young attacking prospect who needs men's football to grow their game.... this year, Gillingham look a prime landing spot for development.

Quality is the key.

If Bonne signs, great.

If he's asking for too much money, I'd back the club 100% and move on. He definitely carries more than enough risk for me to hold the line on.

At this stage, I have to be frank - I think I'd start the season with what we have and evaluate it before dipping into the loan market. I'm naturally disappointed we don't have it nailed down yet, but that's the reality competing for higher calibre players with L1 suitors. Fair play to the team - they've been ambitious but I hope we don't overplay our hand late in the day.

There are going to be a plethora of talented young, south east-based players who will become available in the next couple of weeks. If I'm a PL or Championship team with a top young attacking prospect who needs men's football to grow their game.... this year, Gillingham look a prime landing spot for development.

Quality is the key.
Is this wishful thinking?