Tottenham Hotspur vs. Swansea FC | Page 7 | Vital Football

Tottenham Hotspur vs. Swansea FC

I have always found that in games like this we just don't play at a high enough intensity or tempo. Playing slow possession football trying to break a team down really isn't good enough. It rarely works and when it does you bore people to death with that style.

We also make stupid decisions in this type of game like making the wrong choice. Wrong pass, shooting when better options were available. It's like the players just don't concentrate and show they struggle mentally when things don't go their way. We certainly lack quality in the final third of the pitch at times.

Real Deal - 16/9/2017 21:36

I have always found that in games like this we just don't play at a high enough intensity or tempo. Playing slow possession football trying to break a team down really isn't good enough. It rarely works and when it does you bore people to death with that style.

We also make stupid decisions in this type of game like making the wrong choice. Wrong pass, shooting when better options were available. It's like the players just don't concentrate and show they struggle mentally when things don't go their way. We certainly lack quality in the final third of the pitch at times.

You are spot on Real Deal I would add SLOW AND PONDOROUS
NO TACTIC KNOW HOW

KIND OF AVB REVISITED

And what a shit signing that Llorente is, he comes on with us begging for a goal and don't even touch the ball.

Either that or Poch is a useless mug who don't even have the wits to play to his strengths when he sends him on.

In 3 ratings reports Sissoko scored above average . He was praised for his energy and almost assisting a goal for Kane.

Once again the Sissoko haters see something different.

Alli was woeful today. never got into it and didn't look like he could. No competition for his place is a problem because in fairness a week or 2 on the bench wouldn't go amiss. Not breaking the deadlock in them kind of games makes it more and more difficult the longer it goes on. Score and it's a saunter with a couple more added. Don't score and the tension sets in.

Big Chiv - 16/9/2017 22:12

And what a shit signing that Llorente is, he comes on with us begging for a goal and don't even touch the ball.

Either that or Poch is a useless mug who don't even have the wits to play to his strengths when he sends him on.

Big Chiv

The later is true the Poch is clue less and found wanting not able to change tactics

Nick Real Deal - 16/9/2017 22:54

steveperryman - 16/9/2017 22:27

You need to put bodies in the box & to be brutally honest we don't do that nearly enough.

How many of our 26 attempts came from inside the box ?
17 from outside the box with only the 9 coming from inside.

It stands to reason that the more bodies we have in the box the more opportunities we'll have to score, especially against a team that parks the bus like today.

I must admit, that was an appalling performance. I'd have put money on our winning this game, after Wednesday, and thought we'd be out of the block from the off, going for their throats. Instead, we were so ******* boring, slow, tedious football, that could send you to sleep.

Just woke up and still burning with anger.
Apart from 2 or 3 occassions, we hardly troubled them despite all the possession.
When u buy Llorente u must know how to use him. Once he is on, we must go route 1 diagonal. But we just continued doing the same with him on. Thats so so silly. I m no manager but can see this. Poch, u r paid 5 fricking million a year.

cliffy - 16/9/2017 18:02

I must admit, that was an appalling performance. I'd have put money on our winning this game, after Wednesday, and thought we'd be out of the block from the off, going for their throats. Instead, we were so ******* boring, slow, tedious football, that could send you to sleep.

When the opponent is huddling 9 outfield players within their defensive third, and flatly refuse to be drawn out, so your CB pairing is playing more like a DCM team....

Faced with that, I'm curious, what is it that you would have them do?

xvausch - 17/9/2017 02:14

cliffy - 16/9/2017 18:02

When the opponent is huddling 9 outfield players within their defensive third, and flatly refuse to be drawn out, so your CB pairing is playing more like a DCM team....

Faced with that, I'm curious, what is it that you would have them do?

At least two things, definitely.

I always reckon attack is the best means of defence, so don't play a slow game - when you do that, even if the opposition is parking the bus, you are still setting the agenda.

Secondly, alter and change, tactics and personnel, if plain common sense tells you plan A is not working. That should happen at half-time.

I m angry and frustrated bcoz we dont seem to learn, and nothing personal w Poch. Also frust w players.
As with any competition which anyone gets into, RESPECT of the opponent is of utmost importance. In the classic children story of the hare vs the tortoise, the hare lost the race bcoz it underestimated the tortoise.
When our manager rested players, what message did that send? That we can take them lightly and brush them aside. Consequently, the players picked up that theme and just played like its ok to go on 1st gear thinking that Swansea will surely crumble. Only about halway into second half we realized that wont be the case but too bad, we hv given them the confidence and with time running out, we bcame panicky.
We fully deserved this humbling. But more pertinently, will we learn from it? Judging from 30 years of experience of watching us stepping on one banana skin to another, Spurs doesnt learn.
This match also shows that Poch not quite up there with the top managers like Fergie, Mour etc who will ensure that the team wont get caught out twice at home to supposedly 2nd rate opponent.

All the stats from Tottenham Hotspur (0) vs (0) Swansea City, Wembley Stadium, 16/09/17 Att: 65,366

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?7523551">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

raphaellau - 17/9/2017 07:21

I m angry and frustrated bcoz we dont seem to learn, and nothing personal w Poch. Also frust w players.
As with any competition which anyone gets into, RESPECT of the opponent is of utmost importance. In the classic children story of the hare vs the tortoise, the hare lost the race bcoz it underestimated the tortoise.
When our manager rested players, what message did that send? That we can take them lightly and brush them aside. Consequently, the players picked up that theme and just played like its ok to go on 1st gear thinking that Swansea will surely crumble. Only about halway into second half we realized that wont be the case but too bad, we hv given them the confidence and with time running out, we bcame panicky.
We fully deserved this humbling. But more pertinently, will we learn from it? Judging from 30 years of experience of watching us stepping on one banana skin to another, Spurs doesnt learn.
This match also shows that Poch not quite up there with the top managers like Fergie, Mour etc who will ensure that the team wont get caught out twice at home to supposedly 2nd rate opponent.

This is so true. When my eldest son called me today, he said this poor result is so typically 'Spursy', and I reckon other clubs have picked up that element of our play at times, that we drop points when we shouldn't, lose matches we shouldn't. We were generally sterile and bereft of all ideas, except the one-dimensional, Plan A. What beats me are the good wins we've achieved against some of the top clubs over these last couple of seasons or so, or rather the failure to replicate the way we tackled them in many games against weaker opposition. Making excuses about teams 'parking the bus' doesn't wash with me: you can't expect weaker teams to invite you to score. I just can't bear that pussy-footing around on the half-way line, as happened so often against Swansea. It strikes me that tactic just plays directly into the hands of the opposition teams.

We were quite bereft of ideas in the final third and did not know how to break them down,

However in perspective that useless ref should have given us at least one penalty, and if we had won 1-0 then all this diatrade on here would be 'not on here' !

Get used to this all year ...almost all teams will come to wemberley and park the bus...not many will be as naive as Borussia Dortmund were, giving us space to counter.

This is a transitional season until we make the new stadium the new White Hart Lane fortress one again.

Does anyone think our players were not trying to score FFS ...if so then you need a visit to Boots pronto.

Apparently Davies was carrying an ankle knock and Dembele was tired. We know Dembele only really play one match a week so that is no surprise. I didn't know about Davies. To be fair our defence wasn't the problem but wing delivery was.