Top tens? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Top tens?

Didn't Schmeichal's deal have a guarantee of number one (if fit), David James had little choice but to leave. Terrible signing and decision by the Villa that one, James was brilliant for us, Schmeichal definitely was not.
Not sure it was Deadly's doing though, more so the manager of the time, Gregory I think??

1 - sty dwellers sack Monk
2 - sty dwellers sack Rowett
3 - sty dwellers appoint Cotterill
4 - sty dwellers appoint Zola
5 - sty dwellers buy Craig Gardner
6 - sty dwellers swop Jota for Gary Gardner
7 - sty dwellers laugh at us only for us to get promoted
8 - Tesco bags sack Darren Moore
9 - Tesco bags appoint Shan
10 - Villa beat Tesco bags in play offs

Didn't Schmeichal's deal have a guarantee of number one (if fit), David James had little choice but to leave. Terrible signing and decision by the Villa that one, James was brilliant for us, Schmeichal definitely was not.
Not sure it was Deadly's doing though, more so the manager of the time, Gregory I think??

Didn't James leave before Schmeichal arrived though? I thought the whole reason we signed him was UK replace James who wanted to join club that would compete for trophies, then joined West ham.

Didn't James leave before Schmeichal arrived though? I thought the whole reason we signed him was UK replace James who wanted to join club that would compete for trophies, then joined West ham.
I don't know where I heard it at the time, but I am fairly convinced that Deadly took credit for the Schmeichel signing and James left because of it. James was very good for us and I don't really blame him for "losing" us the FA Cup. More Gregory's negative tactics (we were anemic in attack that day) and playing a clearly unfit Dublin against Dessailly who probably had the easiest game of his career that day...

Anyone that leaves us for Wet spam is a knob.

Seriously though. I remember feeling like he went of his own accord and being peed off. Don’t know about then Ellis thing though.

He was crap anyway and cost us the Fa cup in 2000.

He didn't want to go. West Ham approached, Villa told him he was allowed to leave, he figured by that, they didn't want him, so he went.

Just dont remember James as being particularly good for us or Liverpool. I guess when someone of the quality of Schmeichel comes along you need to take them. Bit like JT . Very similar ages when they signed aswell.

Just dont remember James as being particularly good for us or Liverpool. I guess when someone of the quality of Schmeichel comes along you need to take them. Bit like JT . Very similar ages when they signed aswell.

To be fair to James he was excellent for us in my opinion. When we signed him to replace Bosnich, who is still my favourite ever Villa keeper, I was horrified as he has a terrible reputation and was seen as a joke figure.

In his 2 seasons he was superb and turned his career around completely to the point where he'd regained his England place. Annoying that the only cock up I remember him making is against Chelsea in the cup final.

That whole time was a strange one to be honest. Allowing players like him, Southgate, Ugo to leave to smaller clubs instead of building upon them. Sums up most of the Ellis era I suppose.

To be fair to James he was excellent for us in my opinion. When we signed him to replace Bosnich, who is still my favourite ever Villa keeper, I was horrified as he has a terrible reputation and was seen as a joke figure.

In his 2 seasons he was superb and turned his career around completely to the point where he'd regained his England place. Annoying that the only cock up I remember him making is against Chelsea in the cup final.

That whole time was a strange one to be honest. Allowing players like him, Southgate, Ugo to leave to smaller clubs instead of building upon them. Sums up most of the Ellis era I suppose.

Fair enough . My memory is sketchy to be fair. You are right though it was a strange time that early 2000's . Don't remember it fondly but not a disaster as per recent times with Lerner at the end of his tenure

Fair enough . My memory is sketchy to be fair. You are right though it was a strange time that early 2000's . Don't remember it fondly but not a disaster as per recent times with Lerner at the end of his tenure

We had some great players in that time but won nothing and every time we looked like we could do something we imploded.

Merson, Southgate, Ugo, Boateng, James. Essentially the core of a very good team all left within a short period. Merse was coming to the end of his career, but all the others went to smaller clubs - another Ellis inspired break up of a good team...

We had some great players in that time but won nothing and every time we looked like we could do something we imploded.
The football during Gregory’s final season was turgid. He was essentially sticking two fingers up to Ellis who wouldn’t allow him to kick on with the addition of a couple of quality players. The players sensed it and hence why the best ones left citing ambition - we lost the cup final by trying to stick 11 men behind the ball in what was one of the worst finals in living memory.

Top 10 most disliked teams, ranking 1 = absolutely detest everything about the tosspot club, to 10 = why are they even a club

1. Liverpool
2. Leeds
3. Blues
4. West Ham
5. Leicester
6. Coventry
7. Newcastle
8. West Brom
9. Man Utd
10. Luton

Top 10 most disliked teams, ranking 1 = absolutely detest everything about the tosspot club, to 10 = why are they even a club

1. Liverpool
2. Leeds
3. Blues
4. West Ham
5. Leicester
6. Coventry
7. Newcastle
8. West Brom
9. Man Utd
10. Luton
All of those seem to make sense except Luton.... is it because of the airport?

Top 10 ring pieces,

1. James cordon
2. Graham norton
3. Bono
4. Bob geldof
5. Jeremy clarkson
6. Frank skinner
7. Dianne abbot
8. Harry redknapp
9. Elton john
10. Owen Jones.

Top 10 ring pieces,

1. James cordon
2. Graham norton
3. Bono
4. Bob geldof
5. Jeremy clarkson
6. Frank skinner
7. Dianne abbot
8. Harry redknapp
9. Elton john
10. Owen Jones.
Interesting... I didn't realize that Cordon was viewed the same way back home as he is here in the states.... I'd put Bono top of the list though for being the biggest hypocrite on the planet.