Today's Performance | Page 4 | Vital Football

Today's Performance

kettners - 11/2/2018 09:20

Bagdad -
Im surpised there are only two people who've pointed it out because most of my mates have - and for the record do you actually go to the games yourself ?

You and your friends might talk about it, but this is the first time I have seen anyone write about it on any of the forums. You and "evo" have similar grammatical styling too.

In the last 22-23 seasons, I have been a season ticket holder for 17-18 of them. For a few years in the 2000s location and cost meant I had to pick matches more. Do I qualify to have an opinion?

Giving everyone a 9 at Scunthorpe doesn't give anything away. I gave a 9 to all because of the brilliant team effort where it was almost impossible to single any one or more players out for being better or worse than his colleagues.

You comment on Byrne's performance in particular and the midfield generally not getting a grip on things; hence, our inability to go forward and yet you give Byrne a 7.5 which is close to MOTM standard.

Wayne.Kerr - 11/2/2018 11:07

The ref can't give a decision on something he or his assistant can't see then he has to give the defenders the benefit of the doubt. You were sitting in block C of the GRS; so, of course you could see that the whole of the ball had crossed the line. Then you come out with an even more stupid comment about the ref being determined to give us as few decisions as possible. If incident is committed outside the field of play, you can punish the perpetrator but that is all; who cares ffs? You can't give a free kick or penalty; just get on with it. Get a life.

Wayne, the assistant should have been in a better position to see it that someone sitting in block C as he should have only been about 5 yards from the goaline looking across the pitch.
There was absolutely no reason for the linesman to miss either the goaline Parker incident or the Eaves short pull incident as they were both in clear view and he was looking straight at the, the Eaves one was only 10 yards from him with only Eaves and the defender (who was two yards further off the pitch than Eaves hence why he pulled him) anywhere near the ball.

Captainreblue - 11/2/2018 11:17

Wayne.Kerr - 11/2/2018 11:07

The ref can't give a decision on something he or his assistant can't see then he has to give the defenders the benefit of the doubt. You were sitting in block C of the GRS; so, of course you could see that the whole of the ball had crossed the line. Then you come out with an even more stupid comment about the ref being determined to give us as few decisions as possible. If incident is committed outside the field of play, you can punish the perpetrator but that is all; who cares ffs? You can't give a free kick or penalty; just get on with it. Get a life.

Wayne, the assistant should have been in a better position to see it that someone sitting in block C as he should have only been about 5 yards from the goaline looking across the pitch.
There was absolutely no reason for the linesman to miss either the goaline Parker incident or the Eaves short pull incident as they were both in clear view and he was looking straight at the, the Eaves one was only 10 yards from him with only Eaves and the defender (who was two yards further off the pitch than Eaves hence why he pulled him) anywhere near the ball.

Most likely for the shirt tug that the linesman was looking at the ball and not watching what was happening at the advertising boards.

From where I was sitting in the Rainham End, I cannot say the whole ball had clearly crossed the line. If it had fully crossed the line then it would have been by a centimeter and at the speed of the incident, none of the officials could have given the goal without a hint of doubt in their mind. If it was the other way around then I would have been annoyed if the referee had given Peterborough the goal.

kettners - 11/2/2018 09:15

Captain - Im talking bollocks ? - why on earth would you get tight on Marriot when we've got the ball coming out of defence ? Unless you want to make Marriots job really easy.
There's more to being a defender than just marking and shot stopping ? If Zakuini is that good why isn't he playing prem or championship football now ?

Zakuani has played in the Championship for half of his EFL football career and it is only now he is in his 30s that playing again in the Championship is unlikely unless we get promoted via the playoffs.

The answer about him marking Marriot is simple. The weather meant there was a deliberate policy for Holy to pass the ball out short to a defender rather than hitting the ball high and long and waiting for the wind to blow the ball off course. Peterborough were doing a good job of closing down and whenever we lost the ball trying to play out of defence they initially tried to get a quick forward ball to Marriot in a dangerous position. By asking Zakuani to close down Marriot before we lost the ball, it meant that if we did lose the ball in our third of the pitch, the forward ball wasn't on and they had to pass the ball sideways. By forcing them to pass sideways, it gave the likes of Hess and Byrne an opportunity to win the ball back before they could create a chance.

captain - your taking a point ie the full backs being allowed to push up -and exaggerating it
if Zak was any fucking good on the ball they could do that (and not to the half way line ) use your brains- our full backs take it just outside the edge of the box-
so numb nuts just to be clear your saying when Holy has the ball Zak should have stood on Marriot ? - total bollocks !!
yes and we know ZAk played for Fulham - We know some players are in the right place at the right time-

Bagdad- ZAk played twice for Fulham in cup games and a total of 28 times for stoke so its hardly half his playing career in the championship - and Pullis wouldn't resign him because he didn't think he was good enough.
Now Im not saying hes not a good defender Im saying he kills our momentum going forward and is poor on the ball

Pretty sure he played some games for Peterborough in the Championship, over two spells (of them being in the Championship) but most of his career has been in L1.

I really don?t mind his lack of distribution ability. We?ve had centre backs who look good on the ball and we ended up with horrific goals against/goal difference. The likes of Zakuani and Adam Barrett were limited in football ability but do the job we need. And how much better is Ehmer playing alongside Zakuani?

At this level, centre backs who can play and defend get snapped up by teams in the higher leagues (Egan, Alfie Mawson etc).

I actually quite like the balance we have at the minute. It can be frustrating when Zakuani is in space and puts the ball out for a throw rather than start an attack, but I can live with that whilst he?s defending well, and the team are picking up points.

He played about 150 games for Peterborough in the Championship, before going to Greece and playing top flight football.

kettners - 11/2/2018 12:47

Bagdad- ZAk played twice for Fulham in cup games and a total of 28 times for stoke so its hardly half his playing career in the championship -

He also played for 5 seasons for Peterborough of which most of those seasons were in the Championship. If we cut out his time at Peterborough then you are absolutely correct.

EDIT: Looks as if someone else beat me to it.

kettners - 11/2/2018 12:07

our full backs take it just outside the edge of the box-

This is very much a tactical policy from Lovell as passing it short to the full backs means Holy isn't hoofing it long and hoping our strikers win a header.

Fair comment re Zak and Posh

Bagdad SL wants the full backs slightly higher as Holy can throw it out - as Zak stays on his forward it means the full backs are limited as to where they can pass if Zak or Ehmer are tied up.
This was Sls philosophy before JEd came in

Fair comment re Zak and Posh I stand to be corrected

Bagdad SL wants the full backs slightly higher as Holy can throw it out - as Zak stays on his forward it means the full backs are limited as to where they can pass if Zak or Ehmer are tied up.

kettners - 11/2/2018 13:45

Fair comment re Zak and Posh I stand to be corrected

Ah, so you are a member of Lovell's coaching staff as well as well as a physio?

It might have been Lovell's apparent philosophy prior to JED getting the job bit this is a different squad of players. If Lovell didn't want Zakuani to mark their forward and wanted the fullbacks to play more forward then I have confidence that our manager would have shouted out instructions. I prior gave an explanation for Zakuani marking their striker and in yesterday's conditions, maybe Lovell was prepared to sacrifice a bit of attacking prowess to tighten up at the back and stop them scoring? Lovell has generally been getting it right since he took over so maybe he has a better grasp of why we are playing the way we are tactically.

SteveTreacle - 11/2/2018 11:06

markinkent - 11/2/2018 10:33

Noobleton - 11/2/2018 10:06
The shirt pull on Eaves off the pitch is one of the most cynical things I've seen not be punished at Priestfield.

What punishment were you expecting.

The only thing the ref could have done is stop the game and restart with a drop ball. that would have confused the Rainham End somewhat :-)

Pinched from a referees page at Reading FA

"The Laws say that a foul, for which a free kick would be awarded, can only be committed on the field of play. So no free kick but referee can still stop the game and take any action necessary. But how to restart? Again the law has it covered. If an offence is committed off the field of play, as Alan Pardew suggested happened at Burnley, whilst the ball remains in play, the game when stopped is restarted by a dropped ball where the ball was, when the referee stopped play. Not much of a penalty for the offender but one of those little oddities that referees have to remember."

True, you can?t give a foul while the ball is off of the pitch, but you can caution or send someone off for
misconduct for something that happened in such an incident.

In the example being discussed by the referee he clearly states that the ball is in play.

"whilst the ball remains in play, the game when stopped is restarted by a dropped ball where the ball was, when the referee stopped play"

I don't know the rule at all but going by this web site it appears you can't give a free kick (or penalty) if the foul is committed off the pitch, even if the ball remains in play.

Seems a bizarre rule and happy for someone to correct me if I have misunderstood.

Bromley_GFC - 11/2/2018 15:17

Kettners, I really think you need a cup of tea then a lie down mate.

I noticed Zakuiani's distribution was ropey, yesterday in particular. However Zak is a solid defender, we're hardly gonna attract Gerard Pique at League 1 level. Egan is an extreme example as he was simply too good for us hench why he's now a Championship player. Yes Zak might do the odd 'hoof' but he kept Marriot at bay, a player who has scored 29 goals this season and was convinced he was going to score.

Well done Zak for defending well and well done Ehmer for a blinding finish, not bad for a centre half!

The atmosphere in the Rainham End was rocking for the last 20 minutes and it's almost like our fans sucked the ball (excuse the pun...) into the net! Likewise the Fleetwood comeback, it's the Rainham End of the old days :35:

This is due to hard working set of players and a manager us Gills fans respect in Lovell. That's all we ask for as supporters, although Kettners seems to nit pick constantly :91:

Well said.

I wasn?t at the game yesterday but I?ll give the crowd an 8/10 based on the comments on here. Would have been a 9/10 if we?d won.

Kettners, get evo or one of your friends to read your messages before you click submit. All this overly-emotive language will never help you get your message across well.