Today's Performance | Page 3 | Vital Football

Today's Performance

When I listen online, I often revert to the opposition commentary because of the quality of the GFC broadcast to the extent I give each commentary half a game each.

My comments re Waldo's marks turn on the fact that zero to ten can be awarded, which can truly reflect players' performances on the day. He seems to be afraid to be too critical.

Bagdad -
Im surpised there are only two people who've pointed it out because most of my mates have - and for the record do you actually go to the games yourself ?

nibbles - 11/2/2018 09:11

kettners - 11/2/2018 08:32

Bagdad - Evo whoever he is is absolutely right what he says and I totally agree with the statement -its one of the most important reasons why we struggle at home- Zakuini just isnt comfortable on the ball he cant pass to save his life he is a hoofer- so he puts himself near a centre forward so he doesn't have to receive the ball and it is having a big impact on our full backs as they have to come deeper to get the ball and then are sometimes closed down by the oppositions midfield. Egan was always good on the ball and it gave Jackson and Garmston a licence to get high up the pitch and run at the opposition form a high position.

Why would you deny being evo, Kettners?
ARe there really two separate people who wanted to point out that:

?Zakuini? Just hoofs it
?Zakuini? stands next to the centreforward
The fullbacks have to receive the ball too deep
Hess and Byrne can?t switch the play
List just stood around so Eaves had to do lots of running
Eaves and Parker don?t get on the end of crosses from the fullbacks

Maybe one of you has a stalker :19:

And both have used "-" in their comments which is not a commonly used way of linking sentences although not completely unseen. I just found the general structure of the two sets of comments similar to which is why I didn't think it a case of one person reading it on one site, agreeing with it and them recycling the idea on another site.

As you say, I don't know what the issue would be if he was evo on the other site. I'm sure a reasonable number of us lurk on various forums.

Agree that Zak has limitations re playmaking but if he could do that role as well as his superb defensive/destructive duties he would be a top Championship player and certainly not playing for us.

Easily one of our best players this season.

I'm more interested in ideas about the game I couldn't give a flying f what others say or are similar or whatever - my main point is to get people talking about the team or match we've just seen.

Oh and if anybody is interested the reason Sean Clare hasn't been playing for Sheff Wed is because he wont sign the crap contract they've offered him- so they can afford to starve him from all footballer and play in the under 23s until he can walk from his contract once finished. Then here might be compensation due to him being under 24. So we had no chance of getting him back unless we paid a substantial sum !

A draw was a good result for the Gills, Posh have a quality squad and are likely to be in a play-off position when the season ends. The campaign is going to get very tough during the next few weeks, lots of games and increasing pressure. Achieving our aim of staying up is paramount and every point we can grind out will be precious.

Whilst I can see where Kettners is coming from I think that criticism of Zak as a "hoofer" is a bit harsh. The man is superb at breaking up attacks and our play is more assured when Zak is in the team. As far as yesterday is concerned, it might be, as already pointed out by Captain, that SL had customised Zak`s role to stay especially tight to Marriot, after all, he is the top scorer in our division. That could not have been easy for Zak and there were times when maybe he wasn`t executing the play in a textbook style. Either way, Zak`s main task is to stop the opposition gaining scoring opportunities. He does that very very well. He`s already my player of the season.

Holy and Zak are the core of our defense. I like it when we "play" out of defense, whether that be a result of a throw-out by Holy or some slow east-west passing. It seems to me that, for some reason, we are more inclined to use the long clearance ball at home than we are away. That can be frustrating when measured against the success of our "road" play.However, I think that SL has addressed the issue with the signing of Reilly and Moussa, but it`s still early days as far as measuring their contribution and impact. I`d like to have seen Moussa play yesterday tbh.

Good point for the Gills.

I actually agree that Zakuani's distribution is the weakest part of his game, he falls a long way short of what you might expect a professional footballer to be able to do in terms of passing a football. However he makes up for this by winning balls, blocking shots and just defending. Hopefully the coaches will work on this and help him develop his passing.

The pitch didn't help yesterday and posh were very quick up front. Too small men up front but they moved it nicely and Marriott wasted a few chances that on another day could have seen them go clear of us.

The missing piece for gills is the creative player who can pass the ball and create openings. All of our midfielders are very good at breaking up the other team, winning the ball, but none of them are really that good a creating chances with the killer final ball.

Wagstaff seems most likley but we know he is struggling to get a run of games due to regular muscle strains. Martin should play that role when he is in the team but again I don't see the consistency we need.

I think Eaves would win so many headers in the box from decent deliveries

Lists runs into the box in the first half were encouraging but I don't think he is strong enough for this level. Although Marriott and Lloyd are no taller than list they seemed stockier and able to ride challenges.

Fantastic finish from Ehmer, especially the chest control to get the ball out of his feet and ready for the shot. I couldn't imagine Zak doing that !

The best thing is we kept going, we didn't give up where previous Gills teams would have. Lovell has created belief and that keeps us going to the end. It will keep us up this season and anything else is a bonus after the start we had.

Interesting to see how many return for the Walsall game, both special offer games have been entertaining enough to hopefully persuade a few. I am looking forward to getting back to the Rainham End after a couple of games in the Medway Stand - the stand with the most ineffective roof in football. Sat right at the back of the lower blocks and still got wet !!! Sort it out Scally

First half I thought we were poor, but so were Peterborough. Adjusting to the conditions I suppose. We did eventually manage to move the ball into some dangerous positions but then the final ball in was absolutey shocking every time. Second half Posh came out and put us under a lot of pressure but I thought we handled it quite well. The ten minutes before their goal we finally switched on, and we finished well again. It feels like it did three seasons ago, like we can always get that goal back at the end of games.

Zakuani does the defending part of his job superbly (even if I felt the lack of pace in our centre backs got a little exposed yesterday), but as others point out his lack of confidence playing the ball forward isn't helpful. Holy's distribution was poor but the conditions were shocking so I think it's excusable. List was dangerous on the wing, the only player who seemed willing to take his man on but he does ball-watch far too often for my liking.

From block C of Gordon Road Parker's "goal" looked in, having watched the highlights afterwards Bond saves it lying down, and then sits up on the goal line. I'm pretty sure the ball crosses the line but the referee was determined to give us as few decisions as possible yesterday. The shirt pull on Eaves off the pitch is one of the most cynical things I've seen not be punished at Priestfield.

First half I thought we were poor, but so were Peterborough. Adjusting to the conditions I suppose. We did eventually manage to move the ball into some dangerous positions but then the final ball in was absolutey shocking every time. Second half Posh came out and put us under a lot of pressure but I thought we handled it quite well. The ten minutes before their goal we finally switched on, and we finished well again. It feels like it did three seasons ago, like we can always get that goal back at the end of games.

Zakuani does the defending part of his job superbly (even if I felt the lack of pace in our centre backs got a little exposed yesterday), but as others point out his lack of confidence playing the ball forward isn't helpful. Holy's distribution was poor but the conditions were shocking so I think it's excusable. List was dangerous on the wing, the only player who seemed willing to take his man on but he does ball-watch far too often for my liking.

From block C of Gordon Road Parker's "goal" looked in, having watched the highlights afterwards Bond saves it lying down, and then sits up on the goal line. I'm pretty sure the ball crosses the line but the referee was determined to give us as few decisions as possible yesterday. The shirt pull on Eaves off the pitch is one of the most cynical things I've seen not be punished at Priestfield.

To come back to the marks issue, Wayne saying everyone deserved a 9 at Scunthorpe sort of gives the game away. He clearly sees the marks as some kind of 'reward' when the team wins and wants 'punishment' low scores when it doesn't. The truth is, as far as individual performances are concerned, they often don't vary a lot match to match, win or lose. However, whether the sum of the individual performances is enough to get a win is a different matter. I tend to give defenders a 7 if they do what you would expect defenders to do and that is defend and not give silly goals away. Our midfield tends to be a bit of a destructive unit in that we prevent the opposition getting too many chances. They're not so good going forward. That's very difficult to mark. Byrne was all energy again yesterday, often breaking up dangerous Peterborough moves, but as an overall midfield we didn't get enough clear possession to get forward effectively until the last 10 minutes when Peterborough began to sit back. So how do you mark individual players in those circumstances ? Hess and Reilly were the same. Busy and energetic but struggling to get away from the opposition who were employing a pressing game. From the forwards I expect a lot of effort and I'll give a decent mark for that even if, in the end, the effort doesn't produce much.

I have absolutely no problem with anyone thinking that any individual mark is wrong. I do it so that people can have a discussion around individual players. That's a lot different from simply questioning the whole basis of the marking system, ad nauseum. Higher up the thread I think I showed that the Peterborough local paper pretty much used the same system.

kettners - 11/2/2018 09:15

Captain - Im talking bollocks ? - why on earth would you get tight on Marriot when we've got the ball coming out of defence ? Unless you want to make Marriots job really easy.
There's more to being a defender than just marking and shot stopping ? If Zakuini is that good why isn't he playing prem or championship football now ? - its because hes not good on the ball ? where was he or Ehmer for 'LLoyds tap in ' and for that matter Griggs goal last week ? Id argue he being our best overall defender ? and for the record hes not in the same class as Egan

The pitch is always an issue especially in certain sections- that being said if you were there you would have witnessed the constant down pour throughout the game.
The midfield was the other issue as they were poor on the ball and slow to switch play at times

Zack job first and foremost is to defend, which imo he does pretty well and has been our best defender this season and has brought the best out of Ehmer.

So what you you're saying is that our full backs should push high and wide to the half way line abd our centre backs split? So what happens then when we lose possesion (as according to our midfield were poor on the ball so our only distribution came from our full back and Ehmer) as our shape is all over the place, we have no-one anywhere near their strikers, they had Long playing in the hole behind Bogle and Marriott. You're talking shit and have obviously been watching the Arsene Wenger school of defending DVD.

If you're dissecting the goal there was no pressure on the cross either.

As for not being there do you want to see my ticket stub before I'm allowed to comment further, cock.

If you were there you might have noticed that most cross field passes either got intercepted or went flying out of play due to the conditions.

In case you hadn't noticed Zak has actually commanded a 1m transfer fee in the past, not bad for a hoofer. Comparing Egan and Zak is irrelevant as they're at different stages in their careers, but for the record Zak has actually played a higher level than Egan has to date, if you want to compare.

Noobleton - 11/2/2018 10:06
The shirt pull on Eaves off the pitch is one of the most cynical things I've seen not be punished at Priestfield.

What punishment were you expecting.

The only thing the ref could have done is stop the game and restart with a drop ball. that would have confused the Rainham End somewhat :-)

Pinched from a referees page at Reading FA

"The Laws say that a foul, for which a free kick would be awarded, can only be committed on the field of play. So no free kick but referee can still stop the game and take any action necessary. But how to restart? Again the law has it covered. If an offence is committed off the field of play, as Alan Pardew suggested happened at Burnley, whilst the ball remains in play, the game when stopped is restarted by a dropped ball where the ball was, when the referee stopped play. Not much of a penalty for the offender but one of those little oddities that referees have to remember."

markinkent - 11/2/2018 10:33

The shirt pull on Eaves off the pitch is one of the most cynical things I've seen not be punished at Priestfield.

The only thing the ref could have done is stop the game and restart with a drop ball. that would have confused the Rainham End somewhat :-)

"The Laws say that a foul, for which a free kick would be awarded, can only be committed on the field of play. So no free kick but referee can still stop the game and take any action necessary. But how to restart? Again the law has it covered. If an offence is committed off the field of play, as Alan Pardew suggested happened at Burnley, whilst the ball remains in play, the game when stopped is restarted by a dropped ball where the ball was, when the referee stopped play. Not much of a penalty for the offender but one of those little oddities that referees have to remember."

If that is the rule its bollocks.How many times do you see players commit fouls off the pitch and the ref gives a free kick. The reason imo it wasn't give as a foul was because of their incompentance. a drop ball still would've been better than what we got, sweet fa. :21:

It would be a penalty. Taken from the FA website:

"Q8: Why can a free kick be awarded for an offence which takes place off the field of play?

Imagine two players fall off the field of play as part of ?normal? play and one player holds the other to prevent them getting back onto the field to get the ball. Everyone would agree when the referee stops plays and gives a caution (YC) but no one would agree if the game was restarted with a dropped ball. Giving a free kick on the nearest boundary line to the offence is what football expects; if this position is inside the offender?s penalty area it will be a penalty kick."

True, you can?t give a foul while the ball is off of the pitch, but you can caution or send someone off for
misconduct for something that happened in such an incident.

The ref can't give a decision on something he or his assistant can't see then he has to give the defenders the benefit of the doubt. You were sitting in block C of the GRS; so, of course you could see that the whole of the ball had crossed the line. Then you come out with an even more stupid comment about the ref being determined to give us as few decisions as possible. If incident is committed outside the field of play, you can punish the perpetrator but that is all; who cares ffs? You can't give a free kick or penalty; just get on with it. Get a life.

SteveTreacle - 11/2/2018 11:06

True, you can?t give a foul while the ball is off of the pitch, but you can caution or send someone off for
misconduct for something that happened in such an incident.

The ball wasn't off the pitch though ,Steve, it was still in play.